Questions about boarding pods

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MakerLinux
x4

Questions about boarding pods

Post by MakerLinux » Sun, 21. Apr 19, 05:56

1 - Does it happens only to me, or someone else has this experience? Sometimes when you "claim" a ship (seems to happen with Osprey Vanguards), the boarding pod just keeps circling it forever, never boarding the ship. I left it overnight to test that and no, it doesn't board the ship. (Tried with SETA but something interrupted it and when I got back it was at normal time)

2 - Why does the marine appear at the tip of the boarding pod like he/she is surfing it? I don't find realistic nor amusing that a mostly unprotected marine exposed to the vacuum of space appears there. Since it is the very tip of the boarding pod, doesn't seems like a force field would extend that much off it.

3 - Clipping problems happen in 3D games, but the boarding pod with the surfer marine always travels through the ship like he/she was some kind of ghost. Is it too troublesome to find a more realistic path around the ship and adding collision detection to the pod?

I am not saying that as one of the ranting game haters. In fact I adore X4: Foundations, and I like even what is considered a "bug" (the spam of empty ships which apparently continues in patch 2.50b2), but that's the problem - without working boarding pods to grab all the ships I want, it becomes much more troublesome to personally pilot the ship every time to a wharf or maintenance dock.
Brazilian Linux-only user living in Poland, https://steamcommunity.com/id/patolinux on Steam. PC I use for playing: Ryzen 7 7800X3D with 64 GB 6GHz DDR5 CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX, ArchLinux
Controllers: steam controller via Steam Input or HOTAS set: TSaitek X52 Pro + MFD F-16 + G29 pedals.
VR headset: Valve Index & Meta Quest 2. My other PC: Steam Deck OLD with nReal AIR AR headset

Kernel Panic
x3tc

Re: Questions about boarding pods

Post by Kernel Panic » Sun, 21. Apr 19, 06:13

Try going OoS before you launch the pod. I have far better luck with this than being IS. In fact, I don't use pods on S and M ships when I am IS (unless I am trying to use the marines as mine sweepers :twisted:). I just hack them and if I want to keep them fly them to the nearest station to hire a pilot. If I want to sell them I just sell them where they sit. They some how get a captain to pilot them as soon you confirm the sale.

Xcaliber
x4

Post by Xcaliber » Sun, 21. Apr 19, 09:41

I always fly to the gate/accelerator, target the abandoned ship, claim it then fly through the gate when the pod is on it's way. Strange how even with no mines around around the ship when it transfers to your control it often loses shields, hull and weapons.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sun, 21. Apr 19, 16:52

Funny, because all the above points are bugs that are to be fixed sometime when the resources are available.
Xcaliber wrote:
Sun, 21. Apr 19, 09:41
I always fly to the gate/accelerator, target the abandoned ship, claim it then fly through the gate when the pod is on it's way. Strange how even with no mines around around the ship when it transfers to your control it often loses shields, hull and weapons.
That is intended, however. The idea is that an experienced marine (5 star) shouldn't hurt the ship that much unlike an inexperienced one.

Return to “X4: Foundations”