{Discuss} Reason for TRADE to exist in X4 and the events of X3

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Misunderstood Wookie
x4

{Discuss} Reason for TRADE to exist in X4 and the events of X3

Post by Misunderstood Wookie » Mon, 22. Apr 19, 12:37

Here I am reading a post about logistics modding then it hits me, something I have thought about but I have not written about until now.
X4's timeline has teleportation devices on every ship and station race wide.
So why does no race use it?

Some inner thought ramblings first
In a timeline where jump drives were lost, (how does that tech get lost behind a gate in the X3 war) than all of a sudden the next chapter comes and the ability to disassemble biological beings and create matter from what appears to be nanobots or maybe the matter is synthesized and programmed from blueprints who knows, with such technology why are jump drives not in this-this universe teleportation would first have been tested with objects and raw matter before biological matter would have been tested that is the nature of life at least with humans it is within our prime instinct to exist or have the humans from this Universe learned about beyond death and no longer fear death?

Time to Think
How does teleportation exist in X4 but not jump-drives one can ask themselves. the next revelation down this thought chain leads one to then ponder why is everyone using primitive transport (ships) to transfer wares between anywhere when teleportation exists along with nanotechnological advancements with the ability to create matter out of raw materials from nothing (ever watched a ship be built or repair be made it comes from thin air!!) and even if the range of teleportation is limited there would be nothing stopping the creation of larger teleportation networks for the sole purpose of moving lots of wares around the sector instantaneously and possibly through jump-gates!

Let's continue down this train of thought a moment...
removing teleportation from the equation we know this timeline can synthesize matter using some form of energy if nothing else energy would be the only requirement in this universe everything else being able to be synthesized on station also removing the need to transport anything anywhere.

Yet I have not yet discussed the existence of AI life which appeared from where?; Do they still retain the knowledge of jump tech?; How can they not? machines operate from a core that core would have knowledge dating back to every timeline dating back to X2 The Threat as, unlike biological beings, its memory does not expire or need to be transferred in order to live on it simply needs to just have its data kept in everything it creates. So many Xenon destroyed no data recovered of events prior to X3, X4 why?... That information is worth more than any individual races existence and as far as I can tell every race in the universe, the Xenon is a universal threat to all.

The information is not lost, the technology exists for instantaneous travel for all types of matter in the universe in this timeline.

So I say again, (insert thread title) Mic Drop........
*modified*
*X3 LiteCube User*
MOD GemFX Real Space Shaders
MOD Variety and Rebalance Overhaul Icon Pack
I lost my Hans and should not be flying Solo.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Re: {Discuss} Reason for TRADE to exist in X4 and the events of X3

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 22. Apr 19, 13:59

Lore wise - jump drives became redundant when the gate network shutdown (no gate network meant no gate network for the jump drives to piggy back on) and so for decades the X-Universe learned to live without them - and just because the jump gate network.

Standard local teleportation that is restricted to connected/docked stations/ships is essentially the same teleportation technology that has always been around (and it is widely used). The trans-sector/trans-station version of teleportation available to the player in X4 is on the most part experimental tech seemingly based on some form of relatively unstable trans-dimensional technology.
Spoiler
Show
The HQ plot seems to point at the technology being potentially damaging to normal space - c/f the rifts/wormholes.
As for the X-Universe being able to manufacture things just from energy, huh? Where did you get that idea from? :gruebel: - Teleportation and ship repairs do not count in that regard.

Trade exists in X4 because despite all the seemingly available technologies at least some things still require industrial frameworks to produce (at least in any quantity).

Massive self-sufficient complexes can be built but putting all your production into one station is a notionally risky move if you have hostile factions and potentially hostile competitors to consider. This means making a number of smaller complexes kind of makes a form of strategic sense from a military stand point and placing stations closer to your potential customers and/or suppliers and/or resources makes sense from an economic perspective.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

Return to “X4: Foundations”