Anyone hit xtreme ranks yet? - Fight progress improvement in a future build.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dtpsprt
x4

Re: Anyone hit xtreme ranks yet?

Post by dtpsprt » Mon, 22. Jun 20, 06:29

Ebany wrote:
Mon, 22. Jun 20, 05:49

Not at all. There's zero skill in camping a gate or Xenon base with a Raptor clocking up extreme numbers of kills while watching Netflix in the background. But trading is a different story! Having to personally purchase/mine material, locate a buyer using sat's, getting there with the abysmal autopilot X4 has, selling the material for a profit ........ now this all requires skill.

Combat in X4 requires no skill, just the correct ship and weapon configuration. X3 on the other hand was a fast-paced adrenaline-induced dog fight of quick strafing and correct firing times.
I agree BUT:

a) There is no way to trade yourself into Xreme Trader personally... Your child might accomplish it if you let it inherit the save(!!!). Unless it comes down to some measures that make sense, one will have to use his traders/stations.

b) Personal combat requires skill anyway you see it. Granted, it is easier in X4 and don't forget that the ship/weapon/equipment combination depends on the player's knowhow. Nevertheless I believe there should be "bonus" points exponentially growing with the difficulty of the kill... like 100 points for an S killing an M warship, 1000 points for an S killing and L warship and 10000 for an S killing an XL one.

Last but not least: PLEASE do not compare X3 with X4... one is an accomplished game revered by ten times the number of the people who played it (and still do), the other is a "work in progress" at best...

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Mon, 22. Jun 20, 17:01

dtpsprt wrote:
Mon, 22. Jun 20, 06:29
I agree BUT:

a) There is no way to trade yourself into Xtreme Trader personally... Your child might accomplish it if you let it inherit the save(!!!). Unless it comes down to some measures that make sense, one will have to use his traders/stations.
This is also the point I make about Xtreme Fighter. Even without it being bugged, 2.6 billion personal kills is an obscene amount ........ Our race will contact aliens in real life before any of us get this achievement.

My longest-running save is at about 285 days play time, though I'm guessing there's quite a few out there who beat this, so far none have hit Xtreme Fighter in a game which has been around for a couple of years. Problem is the game achievements are only based off the highest level in 1 save game only, this means I must continue to play the same save game ........ it's killing me destroying the love I hold for the X:Series.
dtpsprt wrote:
Mon, 22. Jun 20, 10:14
..... that it is the damned Travel Drive that is the culprit. Either the whole mechanic behind it must change or be scraped and the Jump Drive reintroduced.
Totally agree, travel drive and the weak auto-pilot remain 2 of my biggest frustrations to date. Travel Drive simply doesn't work. Started a new game and spent 3 frustrating hours trying to chase down a ship to scan it ...... I mean, WTF!!!! Talk about rage quit material for people unfamiliar with the series.
He who bends himself a joy
Does the winged life destroy,
But he who kisses joy as it flies
Lives in eternities sunrise.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 22. Jun 20, 17:12

We seem to be going round in circles a bit here. I have already acknowledged that the numbers are too high, and am working on setting them to more reasonable values. I'm not sure what additional "bug" people are referring to here, though.

And can we stay on-topic please? This thread is about trade and fight ranks, not about fleet movement, how old people are, and so on (offending posts now removed).

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Mon, 22. Jun 20, 17:28

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 22. Jun 20, 17:12
I'm not sure what additional "bug" people are referring to here, though.
Eventually kills cease to raise fight rank, I've seen this mentioned a few times.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 22. Jun 20, 17:34

The fight rank doesn't increase because the numbers are too big. That's not a separate bug.

I'm asking because people keep repeating that there is some specific bug preventing the X-TREME ranks from being achieved, as though this was something other than an issue with the numbers. I'm trying to get to the bottom of whether this is really the case, because I've been unable to find any such problem, or any evidence of it other than the unsubstantiated statements of the people who keep repeating it!

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Mon, 22. Jun 20, 17:54

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 22. Jun 20, 17:34
The fight rank doesn't increase because the numbers are too big. That's not a separate bug.
This is the only bug I'm aware of, and it only effects Fight Rank.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 22. Jun 20, 18:10

Again, the fight rank issue is that the number of kills you need to get to increase ranks becomes too big. Trade is not affected so much because your trade income tends to increase more rapidly over time, and can keep up better with the increasingly high numbers required to increase in rank. Unless someone has some actual evidence to the contrary, then I will have to assume that my tests are correct, and that adjusting the ranges associated with the ranks will solve the issue.

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Mon, 22. Jun 20, 21:04

The other bug could be 2.6 billion> Max_Int.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 22. Jun 20, 21:20

If so then it won't be a problem with the smaller numbers. :)

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Mon, 22. Jun 20, 22:48

Ebany wrote:
Mon, 22. Jun 20, 17:01
Totally agree, travel drive and the weak auto-pilot remain 2 of my biggest frustrations to date. Travel Drive simply doesn't work. Started a new game and spent 3 frustrating hours trying to chase down a ship to scan it ...... I mean, WTF!!!! Talk about rage quit material for people unfamiliar with the series.
Take it as a "spoiler" of sorts... I never use Autopilot when chasing a target, especially in Travel drive. The Autopilot keeps going in and out of it, while the NPC has no such problems.. the only good thing about this accursed drive is that you can actually manoeuvre while on it, even though uncle Newton does his best to make things hard (as well he should). Miraculously you can also do this in SETA, which was impossible in X/X2/X3.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 22. Jun 20, 23:03

Once again, please stay on topic in this thread.

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Tue, 23. Jun 20, 16:32

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 22. Jun 20, 18:10
Again, the fight rank issue is that the number of kills you need to get to increase ranks becomes too big.
I'll clarify that so there's no confusion.

Definitely there's a serious issue with the target Fight Score of 2.6 billion, no-one disputes that, but those excessive numbers are also linked to the bug which is: Fight Rank leveling eventually stops being triggered regardless of Fight Score because of a bug. e.g. I could have a Fight Score of 7 Billion but my Fight Rank will raise to Xtreme, hence why no-one has ever got the Combat Pro or Xtreme Fighter achievements.
CBJ wrote:
Trade is not affected so much because your trade income tends to increase more rapidly over time, and can keep up better with the increasingly high numbers required to increase in rank.
Irrelevant as we're talking about a bug prohibiting fight rank from rasing past a certain level, not the speed at which we can actually raise fight rank.
CBJ wrote:
Unless someone has some actual evidence to the contrary, then I will have to assume that my tests are correct, and that adjusting the ranges associated with the ranks will solve the issue.
Hard for any player to provide this evidence as we can only get a Steam/GOG achievement once, also I discovered a while back with Xtreme Trader that these achievements aren't retroactive - had to reload an old save prior to Rank 30 for it to be recognised. Aside from this I feel we shouldn't be testing a reduction in Fight Score requirements to find the bug but instead try editing a save with the following changes:
<stat id="fight_score" value="2559999999"/>
<stat id="fight_rank" value="29"/>

My Xtreme trader has triggered a long time ago but my fight achievements are (were when I started writing this) still vanilla so I'll do some basic testing.
Pulling back my Fight Score to 319999 and then killing a L for the 30 points got me the Combat Pro achievement.
I did a quick change for Xtreme Fighter but failed to get it to trigger (won't Rank to 30).

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 22. Jun 20, 21:20
If so then it won't be a problem with the smaller numbers. :)
Having finally compiled my post over the last day or so I found this comment last.

You are correct, this will fix the problem with Fight Rank increases slowing to a crawl. It'll also fix the bug preventing us from getting past a certain Fight Rank even if our score is high enough to trigger the leveling of it.

So I guess now my question is: When will the change take place for GOG and Steam achievements?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 23. Jun 20, 16:41

Ebany wrote:
Tue, 23. Jun 20, 16:32
I'll clarify that so there's no confusion.
Thank you. Your post as a whole is really helpful. :)
Ebany wrote:
Hard for any player to provide this evidence as we can only get a Steam/GOG achievement once, also I discovered a while back with Xtreme Trader that these achievements aren't retroactive - had to reload an old save prior to Rank 30 for it to be recognised. Aside from this I feel we shouldn't be testing a reduction in Fight Score requirements to find the bug but instead try editing a save with the following changes:
<stat id="fight_score" value="2559999999"/>
<stat id="fight_rank" value="29"/>
That's pretty much what I did when I was testing it, but to be fair I may have already adjusted the numbers by the time I did so. There's no particular reason why it shouldn't work for large numbers as we have support for 64-bit integers in the stats system, but it may not have been being used correctly in this case. Either way, it's a moot point with the smaller numbers!
Ebany wrote:
So I guess now my question is: When will the change take place for GOG and Steam achievements?
The change to the score values should be in the next update, which is coming soon™. The rank value should then update the next time you increase your score, and that should in turn trigger the recording of the achievements.

grapedog
x4

Re: Anyone hit xtreme ranks yet? - Fight progress improvement in a future build.

Post by grapedog » Sat, 27. Jun 20, 12:35

After the changes i jumped up to almost xtreme traders, and 26 out of 30 for combat... so that's nice!

Szines Geza
x4

Re: Anyone hit xtreme ranks yet? - Fight progress improvement in a future build.

Post by Szines Geza » Sat, 27. Jun 20, 18:44

Last edited by Terre on Sat, 27. Jun 20, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

Ebany
x4

Post by Ebany » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 15:41

grapedog wrote:
Sat, 27. Jun 20, 12:35
After the changes i jumped up to almost xtreme traders, and 26 out of 30 for combat... so that's nice!
Have changes been made to GOG as well?

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 15:45

Ebany wrote:
Wed, 1. Jul 20, 15:41
grapedog wrote:
Sat, 27. Jun 20, 12:35
Have changes been made to GOG as well?
I do not know

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 16:26

The changes are in the game itself. They didn't require any changes on the Steam/GOG achievement side, so they should work on both platforms.

Return to “X4: Foundations”