A special message to devs- don`t get narrow-minded with gameplay mechanics.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Socratatus
x4

A special message to devs- don`t get narrow-minded with gameplay mechanics.

Post by Socratatus » Tue, 28. May 19, 13:46

Hi there.

I`ve been seeing people trying to whine away certain things they don`t like in the game because it doesn`t suit THEIR type of gameplay. For instance the mechanic of random abandoned ships found in game. I have heard you may be removing this completely.

I believe that would be a mistake.

Many of these loudest complainers tend to be the types who have rushed to amass huge fleets or have massive HQs, etc, etc, etc and that`s fine.

But some of us enjoy playing smaller scale, just exploring the universe with a few ships as backup, not much of an HQ built either. Perhaps a simple Mercenary life. Such things as finding the odd rare abandoned ship is a nice little event, as are randomised missions with lots of choice and/or variety.

I am worried that you are in danger of limiting the open-ended scope of the game if you only listen to those most vocal guys whose imagination is only limited to the biggest fleet and mega company they can make.

Please do not remove elements that allow for varied and alternate types of play.

Thankyou. :)
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Buzz2005
x4

Re: A special message to devs- don`t get narrow-minded with gameplay mechanics.

Post by Buzz2005 » Tue, 28. May 19, 13:55

if Im right that was a bug from missions, and what people were complaining is random encounters

and none of the devs said they consider removing them only players discussing how to make the encounters better
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Solflame
x4

Post by Solflame » Tue, 28. May 19, 15:27

To be fair, I haven't played since December of last year, but it was less "odd rare abandoned ship" and more "God damn it someone else left a ship here? Those goddamn assholes! I'm not the space trash man! Fine, I'll go take it to the scrapyar- you're giving me how much? Oh, I'm rich now."

An occasional small ship is fine, sure, but you were finding freaking expensive, loaded transports just... left. It completely unbalanced the game. Forget crystal mining: that was the best way to get money.

I haven't seen any call for less randomized missions.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 28. May 19, 16:20

They arnt removing abandoned ships... they are removing the exploitative bug which covered the map in ships that the player could just take with no repercussions once they joined a trade deal. This needed to happen desperately.

EmperorDragon
x4

Post by EmperorDragon » Tue, 28. May 19, 16:21

I think you may be trying to make a mountain out of that anthill just a wee bit, I get the point you're trying to get across though.

But don't worry, if Egosoft were the sort that falls for the demands of a vocal minority, then X4 would have been an MMO or some online exclusive game today...
“To be the first to enter the cosmos, to engage, single-handed, in an unprecedented duel with nature - could one dream of anything more?” - Yuri Gagarin

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Tue, 28. May 19, 16:40

EmperorDragon wrote:
Tue, 28. May 19, 16:21
But don't worry, if Egosoft were the sort that falls for the demands of a vocal minority, then X4 would have been an MMO or some online exclusive game today...
Oh, Egosoft did just fine in listening to a "vocal minority". That's why the game doesn't provide any sense of progression, economy is nonsensical, missions are painfully dumb, lore has been butchered beyond repair, ship designs are fleeting, sectors are dull, UI is atrocious, and music is annoying.

SPiDER
x4

Post by SPiDER » Tue, 28. May 19, 17:03

yep ver 2.0 xenon.....it was fine before for casual players...but the vocal minority...too easy make k harder.....god i wish it went back to 1.6 at least everyone ( factions ) could cope with Xenon now they need player intervention...well I wish it was still my CHOICE to get involved in that conflict in any more than a casual basis

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 28. May 19, 17:58

Socratatus wrote:
Tue, 28. May 19, 13:46
Hi there.

I`ve been seeing people trying to whine away certain things they don`t like in the game because it doesn`t suit THEIR type of gameplay. For instance the mechanic of random abandoned ships found in game. I have heard you may be removing this completely.

Many of these loudest complainers tend to be the types who have rushed to amass huge fleets or have massive HQs, etc, etc, etc and that`s fine.

But some of us enjoy playing smaller scale, just exploring the universe with a few ships as backup, not much of an HQ built either. Perhaps a simple Mercenary life. Such things as finding the odd rare abandoned ship is a nice little event, as are randomised missions with lots of choice and/or variety.

I am worried that you are in danger of limiting the open-ended scope of the game if you only listen to those most vocal guys whose imagination is only limited to the biggest fleet and mega company they can make.

Please do not remove elements that allow for varied and alternate types of play.

Play the game for 300+ hours and those few rare ships became a junkyard of abandoned Miners, Transporters and Corvettes, dozens per Sector alone.
I'm sure there is still rare and abandoned ships around space to find, but the ones they removed were mission ships that should of despawned anyway.

It wasn't, the regulars "Whining", these weren't pilots that ejected during a battle they were spawned ships that were clogging up space and a nuisance for frame rates when you left them to continue spawning with minefields around them.

I'm glad this bug has been fixed as I can only play on low settings, this fix helped.

On top of that, as someone pointed out.. You could exploit this bug, simply accept a mission where you have to fly to an abandonned ship that spawned, rather than take the ship to the employer and transfer it over for a pittance pay.. You abort the mission, whoo hoo! New ship that you could sell for a good 500k - 1 Million or keep.
It was an exploit, a cheat and quite frankly, if you want to cheat? go on the Nexus and find a mod that lets you cheat, but don't spoil it for the rest of us, yeah?
Last edited by spankahontis on Tue, 28. May 19, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 28. May 19, 18:04

spankahontis wrote:
Tue, 28. May 19, 17:58
Play the game for 300+ hours and those few rare ships became a junkyard of abandoned Miners, Transporters and Corvettes, dozens per Sector alone.
I'm sure there is still rare and abandoned ships around space to find, but the ones they removed were mission ships that should of despawned anyway.
Yep. Its the reason I stopped playing the game. I had no way of knowing if a ship I saw abandoned was a legitimately bailed ship or just another trade guild bug, and I had alreay claimed about 10 Ospreys. Now its fixed I might actually start the game again and see how it goes.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 28. May 19, 18:12

Axeface wrote:
Tue, 28. May 19, 18:04
spankahontis wrote:
Tue, 28. May 19, 17:58
Yep. Its the reason I stopped playing the game. I had no way of knowing if a ship I saw abandoned was a legitimately bailed ship or just another trade guild bug, and I had alreay claimed about 10 Ospreys. Now its fixed I might actually start the game again and see how it goes.
They just kept spawning, at first I was "Whoo Hoo! Free Ship!", but after a while, you realise when you've confiscated around 10-15 of these free ships.. They just kept coming until eventually there was around 10-15 of these bastards in every sector around the highway system.
Bad enough that the more of the map you exposed the slower your game got, you had to contend with this clutter of ships that was slowing my game down.

Whining, MY ASS!!

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Tue, 28. May 19, 18:13

Socratatus wrote:
Tue, 28. May 19, 13:46
Hi there.

Something more spot on, a few ships like in previous games can make sense, but the actual mechanic spews free ships with little to no effort which can destroy the gameplay (too easy = boring).

Perhaps not removing, but big adjustments are in order. I agree with the concept of your comments though.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Tue, 28. May 19, 21:02

ezra-r wrote:
Tue, 28. May 19, 18:13
Perhaps not removing, but big adjustments are in order.
Just make the spawn spots for the few "legitimately" free ships be random, like for some ships in AP. Or heck, bring back the cat in the bag missions of Rebirth, where you could buy a ship spawn (or an ambush).

EDIT: oh, and... remove the freaking free corvette conveniently spawned for the micro-plot. Not only does it murder progression, it makes no sense whatsoever when first you're asked to personally acquire a sacrificial ship, but later, when "fast combat ship is preferable", you're just given one on a platter.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Sat, 1. Jun 19, 18:43

radcapricorn wrote:
Tue, 28. May 19, 21:02
ezra-r wrote:
Tue, 28. May 19, 18:13
Perhaps not removing, but big adjustments are in order.
Just make the spawn spots for the few "legitimately" free ships be random, like for some ships in AP. Or heck, bring back the cat in the bag missions of Rebirth, where you could buy a ship spawn (or an ambush).

EDIT: oh, and... remove the freaking free corvette conveniently spawned for the micro-plot. Not only does it murder progression, it makes no sense whatsoever when first you're asked to personally acquire a sacrificial ship, but later, when "fast combat ship is preferable", you're just given one on a platter.
Corvette's spawned all over the network, Osprey's and Minotaur's especially.. Confiscated a dozen of these ships only for more to mysteriously appear near the jump gates.

Good to find a free ship every now and then, maybe spawn one and rather than there being mines you had a small battlesite with destroyed ships and a partially damaged ship that has been abandoned, you can think? "It's life support failed? I can fix it up and claim it?", but it has to be rare, like 3 of these in total, when you claim one another will spawn somewhere totally random in another part of the universe.
But can't have it to the point of saturation, never needed to buy a ship or steal one cause they were already there for me to hack and confiscate.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sat, 1. Jun 19, 19:50

spankahontis wrote:
Sat, 1. Jun 19, 18:43
radcapricorn wrote:
Tue, 28. May 19, 21:02
Corvette's spawned all over the network, Osprey's and Minotaur's especially.. Confiscated a dozen of these ships only for more to mysteriously appear near the jump gates.
These should no longer be a problem with 2.50. What I meant was this obnoxious inconsistency in the HQ plot, where at first it's your problem to procure a ship, yet in the next stage you're freely given an expensive (if playing plot right from the start) craft.
Good to find a free ship every now and then, maybe spawn one...
Yup, they could do it as part of that (currently) weird encounters mechanic.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 4. Jun 19, 21:36

radcapricorn wrote:
Sat, 1. Jun 19, 19:50

Yup, they could do it as part of that (currently) weird encounters mechanic.

Would make more sense, also incentivise going further into the void of space to explore, maybe find one that's been damaged that you can repair and return to friendly space.

Hairless-Ape
xr

Post by Hairless-Ape » Mon, 10. Jun 19, 00:25

Wow, that has to the the single most tactless disrespectful title for a post I've ever seen. :|

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 10. Jun 19, 16:32

It seems fine to me. So let's stay on-topic. :)

Return to “X4: Foundations”