Why did I blow up?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Scoob
x4

Why did I blow up?

Post by Scoob » Sun, 9. Jun 19, 00:07

Hey all,

So, this is puzzling...my Odysseus just blew up - game over as I was aboard it at the time. However, I cannot see why it blew up!

Here's the situation. I'm camped outside a Xenon station - no turrets - shooting it up. The only threats are Xenon N's, M's and the odd P. I've taken out several modules, so move around to get a better LoS on the remaining two - things are going well.

I'm sat there, shields are fine, hull is good, though I'd lost a turret and one thruster, but they were under repair. The station is almost done for, one module to go, when BOOM, game over! Whut?

So, as I was only taking relatively light fire from the Xenon, why did I go boom? Remember, hull good, shields up...nothing to worry about.

Scoob.

Lazerath
x4

Re: Why did I blow up?

Post by Lazerath » Sun, 9. Jun 19, 04:09

Maybe you were too close to station when it went boom?

Don’t recall if X4 has shared damage from Explosions though. Don’t wanna test it either lol!

Cheers!
COMPUTER SPECS
[Mobo] SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
[CPU] AMD FX-9370 8 Cores 4.4 - 4.7GHZ 16MB DDR3-1866
[Cooling] Corsair Hydro Series H80I CPU Cooler System
[Video] Evga 970 GTX SC 3.5Gb Ram ==> [Ram] G-Skills Ripjaws X 16GB
[Harddrive] (2) x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD
[Harddrive] Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD ==> [Harddrive] WD BLACK 1TB 64MB 7200RPM
[Disc Player] LG 14X BLU-RAY BURNER ==> [Case] Thermaltake A71 Chaser [Windows 7 Pro]

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Sun, 9. Jun 19, 04:34

Lazerath wrote:
Sun, 9. Jun 19, 04:09
Maybe you were too close to station when it went boom?

Don’t recall if X4 has shared damage from Explosions though. Don’t wanna test it either lol!

Cheers!
I don't know about stations, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing from capital ships. I've been getting in close to K's for the kill, with no boom. Certainly nothing like X-Rebirth.

Lazerath
x4

Post by Lazerath » Sun, 9. Jun 19, 05:14

That’s too bad, it was a cool part of rebirth!

No idea then.

Cheers!
COMPUTER SPECS
[Harddrive] Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD ==> [Harddrive] WD BLACK 1TB 64MB 7200RPM
[Disc Player] LG 14X BLU-RAY BURNER ==> [Case] Thermaltake A71 Chaser [Windows 7 Pro]

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 9. Jun 19, 09:41

Scoob wrote:
Sun, 9. Jun 19, 00:07
Here's the situation. I'm camped outside a Xenon station - no turrets - shooting it up. The only threats are Xenon N's, M's and the odd P. I've taken out several modules, so move around to get a better LoS on the remaining two - things are going well.

I'm sat there, shields are fine, hull is good, though I'd lost a turret and one thruster, but they were under repair. The station is almost done for, one module to go, when BOOM, game over! Whut?

So, as I was only taking relatively light fire from the Xenon, why did I go boom? Remember, hull good, shields up...nothing to worry about.
The station had no turrets. The L turrets were repaired/replaced while you were slowly demolishing the station. A few XEN L turrets rip an Odysseus apart very quickly. To put it in perspective if one has an unfortunate close encounter with a XEN I such that multiple of its L turret banks are landing, the Odysseus lasts under 10 seconds.

Additionally if you were not paying attention and a XEN K travelled near you, the Odysseus would also be dead in 15-20 seconds. The Xenon build up to 4 Is and 20 Ks at any given time.

The Odysseus is the least durable of all L destroyers, only having 2 L shield generators instead of the 3 that The Phoenix and Behemoth have. It is not a big brick one can park and check every few minutes if one still has shields. Even M, N and Ps can wear one down. I have seen Ps wear down construction ships, and those have a ton better shielding than the Odysseus.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 9. Jun 19, 12:57

I was sat watching in external view at the time of the explosion, I could see no fire coming from the station at all, nor no K's in the area at all. Just the smaller ships having a pop. I should have been clearer, as this particular encounter was in my slightly modified save, where shields are better with no recharge delay. I also have a vanilla game as I run two instances of the GoG version of the game.

I did reload my save - thankfully I had one from about ten minutes prior - and I confirmed that my shields and hull were good and I was only being damaged by the lighter Xenon craft. I even flew around a bit to see if perhaps there was something, but nope.

When I moved away from the Xenon station, this did allow the fighters to swarm me more effectively - previously my proximity to the station meant they could not attack me from that direction. Even with them swarming me I never took any hull damage, though my shields did get low. I left the sector without issue.

So, yeah, it was a little bit odd I think as I had shields and a near full hull (actually at 95% from a prior encounter) and then suddenly boom. Regardless I reloaded and everything played out as expected - i.e. no boom - so I'm none the wiser regarding what actually happened...

Thought: When I destroyed one of the Xenon station Modules it vanished, rather than being replaced by a wreck. I wonder if I wandered into the area where it was and the station started to rebuild, instantly killing the ship? I'd not have seen the Module in its zero-built stage, but perhaps parts of it were solid enough to do damage?

Scoob.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 10. Jun 19, 01:22

Scoob wrote:
Sun, 9. Jun 19, 12:57
Thought: When I destroyed one of the Xenon station Modules it vanished, rather than being replaced by a wreck. I wonder if I wandered into the area where it was and the station started to rebuild, instantly killing the ship? I'd not have seen the Module in its zero-built stage, but perhaps parts of it were solid enough to do damage?
Collision damage cannot kill a ship. It at most can reduce shield to 0, with hull being unaffected.

It is possible that being the core or final module of a station some sort of clean-up mechanic unfortunately thought you were part of the station or module and so deleted you as well. Someone needs to test killing modules while their ship is physically embedded inside of them.

Lazerath
x4

Post by Lazerath » Mon, 10. Jun 19, 02:28

Hmmm.

Never thought about the station starting to rebuild with your ship overlapping the station mesh.

Is there an easy way to confirm something like that?

Cheers!
COMPUTER SPECS

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Mon, 10. Jun 19, 13:10

The station clipping issue is the only thing I could think of as being the cause, considering I had shields and near-full hull at the time. It was just a guess though as I was flying where a module was. Incidentally, I'd never seen a module vanish and not leave a wreck before on destruction.

Scoob.

photomankc

Post by photomankc » Mon, 10. Jun 19, 19:01

Prior to 2.5 I know Xenon stations would do weird stuff. They can often rebuild modules faster than I could destroy them and they would keep rebuilding even if I destroyed cargo in build storage. I ran into a few places where empty space made the “gong” noise and my ship stopped and got stuck. Sometimes they restarted a module almost the moment it was destroyed.

I had to give up on a shipyard I was killing because of that. I was never going to win the race.

Sirus5
x4

Post by Sirus5 » Mon, 10. Jun 19, 21:27

Lazerath wrote:
Mon, 10. Jun 19, 02:28
Hmmm.

Never thought about the station starting to rebuild with your ship overlapping the station mesh.

Is there an easy way to confirm something like that?

Cheers!
I did have an interesting issue with my ship docked at the PHQ, I asked to add a module - it decided it would
rebuild the dock (delete and rebuild) - I was OOS in another sector and suddenly my ship exploded...
I reloaded an earlier save and teleported over to my ship - it looked like it had a virus - holes appearing
everywhere....
It's slightly different set of circumstances - but something to watch out for.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Tue, 11. Jun 19, 07:30

Did you leave the gas on ?

:roll:

Return to “X4: Foundations”