Save the Oddyseus!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

Save the Oddyseus!

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 15. Jun 19, 17:01

So I went exploring, and found an Oddyseus Vanguard in a Xenon sector. I had heard rumors of it, but never actually gone to look for it myself. After finding it, I claimed it, and sent it on its merry way to dock at a shipyard for further upgrades.

All was well, until it arrived near the gate right before going in to Holy Vision. The area was swarming with xenon fighters, corvettes, and destroyers. I figured I better hop in and pilot it myself so the my NPC captain didn't make the usual slow entrance around the back side of the gate maneuver.

I teleported in, and quickly relieved the incompetent NPC pilot of command. The gate was right there! So too, unfortunately, were the Xenon. I couldn't engage travel drive, those fighters were attacking me preventing my travel drive from spooling up, and the Oddyseus I had claimed came with no shields, so I couldn't boost. And of course, what were the Xenon fighters firing at? They were going right for my engines! One engine down. I can live with that. Two engines down. Could be better. Third one down? That one I needed!

I had tried jinking up and down, left and right to try to shake their aim from not hitting the engine, but good luck with that!

Anyways, gonna reload back to a point before my Oddy got close to their gates, and pilot the thing myself all the way home. Hopefully I can just travel drive my way across the sector and zoom through the gate unopposed.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Save the Oddyseus!

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 15. Jun 19, 22:40

You will want to manually claim it by repairing the data leak. This prevents its equipment from being destroyed, which means it will have shielding. With shielding it should be straight forward to fly out.

Otherwise you can do the safe approach. Order the ship to fly to the left side of the Faulty Logic highway away from any Xenon and opposite the gate to Holy Vision. Then manually take control of it and travel mode through the gate to Holy Vision. Even if the ship is hit by the gate it will still drift into holy vision, but the chances of that are minimal as nothing responds fast enough to hit even an L ship in travel mode at 6km/sec. If one addicently hits an asteroid or Xenon ship one can use the power of save scumming to try again!

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Sat, 15. Jun 19, 22:46

When I bother to collect it I give the pilot a set of waypoints to follow that place him a respectable distance from the gate.

Send him to the top of the sector grid, then to the 'top corner' 100km or so behind the gate
TP in and take control
Target the gate on the map
hit Shift+1 and just aim for the gate

that should let you avoid the Xenon that tend to gather in that zone

kilmore7466
x4

Post by kilmore7466 » Sat, 15. Jun 19, 23:32

Something to note - you can fly above the mined areas. Once I had the altitude I could use travel drive to my content. The NPC pilot is useless, so you do have to do it all till your free from the sector.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 16. Jun 19, 00:29

I didn't think the Odysseus had a Data leak, so it wasn't claimable that way - at least, it never used to be. In my experience it's always needed one Marine to capture it...more recently though this has led to the destruction of pretty much every surface element bar the engines. I used to capture this ship with everything intact.

Capturing this ship in my fresh 2.5 game start, saw it having no data leak I could find, and needing to be captured by a single Marine...who made a mess of things lol.

Note: I always retrieve this ship by manually piloting it up and over the mines, before trying to line up on the gate and zoom through quickly. This last time, my engines were taken out just as I got to the gate. Luckily I'd managed to engage Travel Mode, so was going faster than normal and momentum took me through the gate just as my engines blew - visually only two were dead, but so was the third one. I then continued to coast for several minutes as the ship would no slow down without rear Thrusters. Physics lol.

Scoob.

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Sun, 16. Jun 19, 04:49

Scoob wrote:
Sun, 16. Jun 19, 00:29
I didn't think the Odysseus had a Data leak, so it wasn't claimable that way - at least, it never used to be. In my experience it's always needed one Marine to capture it.
You can always make a data-leak with an EMP bomb, that's what I do. No marines, no damage, nice and quick.
Scoob wrote:
Sun, 16. Jun 19, 00:29
I always retrieve this ship by manually piloting it up and over the mines, before trying to line up on the gate and zoom through quickly.
I just clear out the fighters by the gate in a corvette and let an NPC pilot the oddy out while I am somewhere else. OOS = no mine damage.

Lazerath
x4

Post by Lazerath » Sun, 16. Jun 19, 06:30

Since 2.5 you cannot claim oddly by data point anymore.

You get NO shield or weapons from now on.

Cheers!
COMPUTER SPECS
[Mobo] SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
[CPU] AMD FX-9370 8 Cores 4.4 - 4.7GHZ 16MB DDR3-1866
[Cooling] Corsair Hydro Series H80I CPU Cooler System
[Video] Evga 970 GTX SC 3.5Gb Ram ==> [Ram] G-Skills Ripjaws X 16GB
[Harddrive] (2) x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD
[Harddrive] Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD ==> [Harddrive] WD BLACK 1TB 64MB 7200RPM
[Disc Player] LG 14X BLU-RAY BURNER ==> [Case] Thermaltake A71 Chaser [Windows 7 Pro]

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Sun, 16. Jun 19, 08:29

Lazerath wrote:
Sun, 16. Jun 19, 06:30
Huh, you must be playing a different game than I am, as my post above was most certainly WRT 2.50.
Lazerath wrote:
I got a ~90% loadout of missile launchers and a bunch of ammo, as well as full shields, again in 2.50.
I just now started a new game and did it again - one perseus + one space suit EMP = one claimed odysseus vanguard with a nice set of missile launchers. I'm not sure if the exact loadout is random or not, but it sure is possible to claim it with the weapons intact.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Sun, 16. Jun 19, 10:39

yea I don't know why they keep saying you can't emp a ship and get blueprints after 2.5 since there is no mention of that in the change log

or is there, its too long won't read again :lol:
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Sun, 16. Jun 19, 12:12

steve_v wrote:
Sun, 16. Jun 19, 04:49
I just clear out the fighters by the gate in a corvette and let an NPC pilot the oddy out while I am somewhere else. OOS = no mine damage.
Clearing out the P's can be a bit of a grind though
Spoiler
Show

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 16. Jun 19, 14:02

I keep forgetting about using EMP's lol. Also, I deliberately always get the Odysseus out of the sector in person, I feel it should be a degree of challenge and being OOS - assuming the way is clear - eliminates that challenge.

I did actually spend about an hour doing nothing but collecting crafting material - got sooo many - then I suffered a rare game crash and that was that. Need to go out and harvest again before I can craft some EMP's.

Scoob

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Sun, 16. Jun 19, 14:51

I always just cap it and sell it immediately as soon as I start a new game and use that money for my first nividium miners. 8-10mil right away really gets things rolling in the early game.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 16. Jun 19, 15:52

Karmaticdamage wrote:
Sun, 16. Jun 19, 14:51
I always just cap it and sell it immediately as soon as I start a new game and use that money for my first nividium miners. 8-10mil right away really gets things rolling in the early game.
I did debate doing the same this time, as that money can be well invested in Mining ships as you say. Once I had it though and had manually gotten it safely docked at a ship yard, I'd grown attached :) Also, as I now use the VRO mod, Capital ships are bloody epic!

Scoob.

Lazerath
x4

Post by Lazerath » Mon, 17. Jun 19, 05:14

steve_v wrote:
Sun, 16. Jun 19, 08:29
Lazerath wrote:
Huh, you must be playing a different game than I am, as my post above was most certainly WRT 2.50.
Lazerath wrote:
I got a ~90% loadout of missile launchers and a bunch of ammo, as well as full shields, again in 2.50.
I just now started a new game and did it again - one perseus + one space suit EMP = one claimed odysseus vanguard with a nice set of missile launchers. I'm not sure if the exact loadout is random or not, but it sure is possible to claim it with the weapons intact.
Well I will have to try again.

Couple questions for ya.

1. When claiming the odds did you have the player hq and research done first?
2. Is your game unmodded?

I ask because maybe this has something to do with why it did not work when I tried during 2.5 beta 5.

I don’t remember if I had completed the PHQ and research before I tried to claim the oddy but it did NOT work for me and I remember checking the forum and read others having the same issue so it is VERY possible it was a bug encountered by myself and others.

I ended up with No Shields and No main guns. I fired off 4 emp bombs on it too (ahh just remembered I had at least completed the teleport research for hq because I had to go make the emp bombs and teleported back to my nemesis).

Going to start a new game again soon so I will try it out again.

Cheers!
Edit: typos from darn autocorrect on phone!
COMPUTER SPECS
[Harddrive] Samsung 840 Series 120GB SSD ==> [Harddrive] WD BLACK 1TB 64MB 7200RPM
[Disc Player] LG 14X BLU-RAY BURNER ==> [Case] Thermaltake A71 Chaser [Windows 7 Pro]

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Mon, 17. Jun 19, 05:23

Lazerath wrote:
Mon, 17. Jun 19, 05:14
steve_v wrote:
Sun, 16. Jun 19, 08:29
Lazerath wrote:
Lazerath wrote:
Well I will have to try again.

Couple questions for ya.

I ask because maybe this has something to do with why it did not work when I tried during 2.5 beta 5.

I don’t remember if I had completed the PHQ and research before I tried to claim the oddy but it did NOT work for me and I remember checking the forum and read others having the same issue so it is VERY possible it was a bug encountered by myself and others.

I ended up with No Shields and No main guns. I fired off 4 emp bombs on it too (ahh just remembered I had at least completed the teleport research for hq because I had to go make the emp bombs and teleported back to my nemesis).

Going to start a new game again soon so I will try it out again.

Cheers!
Edit: typos from darn autocorrect on phone!
You need one marine on board your ship. Either buy or transfer a service crew member to be a marine. Right click the ody and select "claim". You then have to wait for the little pod to fly over, attach to the ship, and wait for it to flip to green. If you want to keep the ody, leave and let it fly out by itself in OOS. You might think this is foolish, but things work differently in OOS, your ody will make it out alive. Otherwise just dock, get your marine back, and sell it immediately to w/e shipyard or wharf.

Lazerath
x4

Post by Lazerath » Mon, 17. Jun 19, 05:28

Buzz2005 wrote:
Sun, 16. Jun 19, 10:39
yea I don't know why they keep saying you can't emp a ship and get blueprints after 2.5 since there is no mention of that in the change log

If you read what I typed I Never said anything about emp a ship and get Blueprints after 2.5

I said “Since 2.5 you cannot claim oddly by data point anymore.”

Nothing said about Blueprints. It’s in regards to how you claim ships as I believe it was changed in 2.5 for L size ships but I could be wrong, hence me saying believe!

I personally have never tried to get a ships blueprint by emp as I never thought about stealing them. I have stolen many station module Blueprints from the SCA pirates though.

Cheers!
COMPUTER SPECS

Lazerath
x4

Post by Lazerath » Mon, 17. Jun 19, 05:32

Karmaticdamage wrote:
Mon, 17. Jun 19, 05:23

You need one marine on board your ship. Either buy or transfer a service crew member to be a marine. Right click the ody and select "claim". You then have to wait for the little pod to fly over, attach to the ship, and wait for it to flip to green. If you want to keep the ody, leave and let it fly out by itself in OOS. You might think this is foolish, but things work differently in OOS, your ody will make it out alive. Otherwise just dock, get your marine back, and sell it immediately to w/e shipyard or wharf.
Yes, that’s what I ended up doing because I could no longer claim it by data point as I originally stated. Which is also why I assumed it lost its main guns and shields, unless those were simply removed by the 2.5 patch irregardless.

Cheers!
COMPUTER SPECS

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Mon, 17. Jun 19, 06:58

Lazerath wrote:
Yes.
Lazerath wrote:
It was the first time, but I added some QoL mods in later. I'm not running anything that touches boarding or abandoned ships though.
Lazerath wrote:
I ended up with No Shields and No main guns.
I didn't get a main battery either, but I did get a near-full loadout of turrets and ammo for them.

It did take me a while to figure out that you have to repair the data leaks you make rather than scanning them, that struck me as kinda odd.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Mon, 17. Jun 19, 08:39

Lazerath wrote:
Mon, 17. Jun 19, 05:28
Buzz2005 wrote:
Sun, 16. Jun 19, 10:39

If you read what I typed I Never said anything about emp a ship and get Blueprints after 2.5

I said “Since 2.5 you cannot claim oddly by data point anymore.”

Nothing said about Blueprints. It’s in regards to how you claim ships as I believe it was changed in 2.5 for L size ships but I could be wrong, hence me saying believe!

I personally have never tried to get a ships blueprint by emp as I never thought about stealing them. I have stolen many station module Blueprints from the SCA pirates though.

Cheers!
your right, sorry
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Lazerath
x4

Post by Lazerath » Tue, 18. Jun 19, 02:06

steve_v wrote:
Mon, 17. Jun 19, 06:58
It did take me a while to figure out that you have to repair the data leaks you make rather than scanning them, that struck me as kinda odd.
What?? Okay I am going to test this thoroughly as I just started a new game again to try out other things as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Do you remember if you got shields too?

I am going to claim it with only teleport research done first. Then test with all research done and post my results but it will be a while until I reach that point.

Cheers!
COMPUTER SPECS

Return to “X4: Foundations”