I still don't get to enjoy the music, do you? v2.5

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dholmstr

I still don't get to enjoy the music, do you? v2.5

Post by dholmstr » Fri, 12. Jul 19, 14:08

As the topic says, I still don't get to enjoy the music. This has been since the start. Yes the 2.5 patch did make it better, but in my game it still gets cut off a lot, interrupted (not by combat), low sound levels (older tunes) etc. There are so many tunes there but I can't get to enjoy them, is there a way to shove that ambient into a hole..that' black and never to bee heard of again? Other than mods, I know about them.

So please, once a tune starts playing don't cut it short even tough I would fly across the whole damn universe. Again combat interrupt is ok.

phrozen1
x4

Re: I still don't get to enjoy the music, do you? v2.5

Post by phrozen1 » Fri, 12. Jul 19, 14:10

yes random and abrupt switching of music without reason is still a thing. and pretty annoying...

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Fri, 12. Jul 19, 14:41

dholmstr wrote:
Fri, 12. Jul 19, 14:08
...Again combat interrupt is ok.
I say that one also begs a reduction. Switching to suspense every 10 seconds for two seconds as a red blip whizzes by through the highway is no less annoying than the abrupt zone-based (or whatever) switching of ambience.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 12. Jul 19, 15:00

radcapricorn wrote:
Fri, 12. Jul 19, 14:41
I say that one also begs a reduction. Switching to suspense every 10 seconds for two seconds as a red blip whizzes by through the highway is no less annoying than the abrupt zone-based (or whatever) switching of ambience.
Fully agree. Combat atmosphere should not be induced by proximity, but by actual engagement with the enemy. And by engagement, I don't mean: "oh, he's targeting me, but I'm on travel drive at a speed of 6km/sec so I don't give a damn", but actual fire exchange and damage taken.

It's good music, but heard too often.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Fri, 12. Jul 19, 15:57

Ezarkal wrote:
Fri, 12. Jul 19, 15:00
...but actual fire exchange and damage taken.
It already does that. When actual combat starts, suspense changes to combat music. I guess suspense needs tweaking so that it doesn't start immediately when enemy is in range (or end when it's out of range), maybe a delay of like 10 seconds or something like that, to give some cushion for transient encounters.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 12. Jul 19, 17:41

Ezarkal wrote:
radcapricorn wrote:
Fully agree. Combat atmosphere should not be induced by proximity, but by actual engagement with the enemy. And by engagement, I don't mean: "oh, he's targeting me, but I'm on travel drive at a speed of 6km/sec so I don't give a damn", but actual fire exchange and damage taken.

It's good music, but heard too often.

It's not just that though, it's enemy ships that spawn in your vicinity, haven't you noticed when you are unlocking a Data Vault in the middle of nowhere you just happen to have a Xenon Fighter or a Kha'ak Hive Guard just suddenly appear from out of nowhere forcing you to get back in your ship and face them?

I personally don't Mind the Highways, it's them damn spawning ships that haunt you where ever you go, you could fly 1000kms from the Jumpgate in the middle of Nowhereville and the Xenon/Kha'ak will still find you. It's a pain in the arse.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

photomankc

Post by photomankc » Fri, 12. Jul 19, 21:23

radcapricorn wrote:
Fri, 12. Jul 19, 15:57
Ezarkal wrote:
...but actual fire exchange and damage taken.
It already does that. When actual combat starts, suspense changes to combat music. I guess suspense needs tweaking so that it doesn't start immediately when enemy is in range (or end when it's out of range), maybe a delay of like 10 seconds or something like that, to give some cushion for transient encounters.

I don't know the exact 'right' answer but at this point I HATE, HHHAAAATTTTEEEE, HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEE, the suspense music. My god, I want to stab my ears after 30 minutes or more of it. If I have to spend a few hours in enemy territory killing a few stations or keeping an eye on a limping boarded ship that music is like nails on a chalkboard by the end. I actually feel relief when I get away from a red dot and it quits.

I'd say that it should wait several seconds to begin and should last no more than a **few minutes** for any encounter even if extended. If combat hasn't started by then, switch back to regular music. The combat music isn't bad because you are not over-exposed to it like suspense. Also enemy stations should not trigger it in my opinion, with the possible exception of blue turning red. Listening to that music blaring while I try to get things done at a shipyard, warf, or representatives office is terrible. Annoying because it's based on an un-constructed enemy station that's just close enough to be in range.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 12. Jul 19, 22:46

I keep starting up x4 just to see if my performance differs or tearing stops at station hangers the ones with no roofs, but i dont think ive heard music in my game of x4, if it was there its very situational i think. Shame cos background sector music was always nice to listen to when playing the early games.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

vrod
x4

Post by vrod » Sat, 13. Jul 19, 13:27

I agree.

That was another thing about X3. The music. I miss hearing some of those tunes. Certain tunes per sector was nice.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sat, 13. Jul 19, 22:26

One odd part I don't really understand from Egosoft/Alexei was the decision to not to tunify the situational suspense and void tracks. There already were a couple of soundtracks from Thomas Egeskov Petersen from the X/X2 era games that had similar qualities for such tracks. I understand that it might have involved further licensing that Egosoft might have wanted to skip out on, but at the very least they could have used them as an inspiration so that the tracks aren't just about noises played randomly.

On another note I'm glad they have included the Rebirth-era tracks in the end. Now only if they weren't considered as zone tracks, and had they replaced them with the originals (without the fading effect).

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 01:16

My most essential mods include the legacy music mod, no dark ambient mod, and no combat music mod.

I really hope egosoft don't consider the current music system "done" and have plans to improve upon it. Long story shory, give us more music, more variety (include basically all the old X game music tracks), reduce the amount of times the music track cuts out, and drastically reduce the amount of combat music that cuts in.

vrod
x4

Post by vrod » Mon, 15. Jul 19, 10:40

Falcrack wrote:
Mon, 15. Jul 19, 01:16
My most essential mods include the legacy music mod, no dark ambient mod, and no combat music mod.

I really hope egosoft don't consider the current music system "done" and have plans to improve upon it. Long story shory, give us more music, more variety (include basically all the old X game music tracks), reduce the amount of times the music track cuts out, and drastically reduce the amount of combat music that cuts in.
Yes! :) :) :) :)

dholmstr

Post by dholmstr » Tue, 16. Jul 19, 14:54

If you want ambient music as background, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q-HCzDA32E the first 20 seconds is "space-ish" enough of a style.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 16. Jul 19, 19:38

Falcrack wrote:
Mon, 15. Jul 19, 01:16

Or at least give us an option in Settings where you get to toggle the options.. No Music/Music Only/Ambience & Music.

Give us a choice.

Dirk-Jan
x4

Post by Dirk-Jan » Wed, 17. Jul 19, 08:51

I Always play my own music while gaming, preferably goa.
But if you say the music is good in this game, I'll give it a try
X4: Let's do this!
(ASUS Sabertooth X99S; i7 5930@3.5; 24GB RAM; RX 580; playing latest vanilla steam version with Split Vendetta on Win10/64, "the young gun''; mogul/captain)
{playing since X-BTF}

dholmstr

Post by dholmstr » Wed, 21. Aug 19, 18:03

I'm sorry about this small necro, but the issue still stands and I didn't want to start a new one. Is there any plans for this to 3.0??

ScandyNav
x4

Post by ScandyNav » Wed, 21. Aug 19, 21:34

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 22. Aug 19, 00:50

ScandyNav wrote:
Wed, 21. Aug 19, 21:34
This mod helps a little bit:
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/172
Would be lovely to be able to use this sort of mod, and still be able to use ventures...

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 22. Aug 19, 19:07

radcapricorn wrote:
dholmstr wrote:
Fri, 12. Jul 19, 14:08
...Again combat interrupt is ok.
Be better if you got the ominous danger music when something the size of a Xenon K is heading towards you.
Not when a Xenon M zips past you.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Thu, 22. Aug 19, 20:36

I HATE the combat music and its allways playing, even when im on stations it plays non stop.
Just... another... bug.

Return to “X4: Foundations”