Announcing X4: Split Vendetta and update 3.0

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Announcing X4: Split Vendetta and update 3.0

Post by radcapricorn » Sat, 24. Aug 19, 12:58

Moonrat wrote:
Fri, 23. Aug 19, 23:14
AquilaRossa wrote:
Thu, 22. Aug 19, 22:37
Could super highways be made optional?
This mod does the job really great!
No Super Highways
Yeah... off-topic, but, you guys should really get up to speed on that terminology. Those are highways, not superhighways. Not a big deal, of course, but, well, that mod doesn't do what it says it's supposed to do.

MakerLinux
x4

Post by MakerLinux » Sun, 25. Aug 19, 10:33

Kaada wrote:
Fri, 23. Aug 19, 07:05
I think X4 is a little to fast. As someone who began his X journey with X3 AP X4 feels like a highway on it's own. Not even a day in and I could build Carriers, if I could. This is unaccaptable. In Sandbox games the way is the goal, if you cna reach everything in a day, why even bother trying?
There are obviously a few ways to fix this problem. First increase the price of Ships by 1-100 Million. Or create more licenses.
Nope.
Nope nope nope nope nope.
You might have all the time to play a game that takes 4 thousand hours. I don't. Most people don't. X4 is already a looooong game. The game must be accessible. You are complaining that you can build carriers in less than 24 hours playing the game? That's absurd. Use a mod to extend the time for you, but understand that most people just won't accept it that way. Unless you want Egosoft to get bankrupt because it will sell the game to half a dozen people only. The steam rating is already low enough, it doesn't need to decrease more.
It's long already the way it is. It does not need to be like X3 or X2 or anything. It should be its own game.
Brazilian Linux-only user living in Poland, https://steamcommunity.com/id/patolinux on Steam. PC I use for playing: Ryzen 7 7800X3D with 64 GB 6GHz DDR5 CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX, ArchLinux
Controllers: steam controller via Steam Input or HOTAS set: TSaitek X52 Pro + MFD F-16 + G29 pedals.
VR headset: Valve Index & Meta Quest 2. My other PC: Steam Deck OLD with nReal AIR AR headset

Riccardoman
x4

Post by Riccardoman » Sun, 25. Aug 19, 10:53

MakerLinux wrote:
Sun, 25. Aug 19, 10:33
Kaada wrote:
Fri, 23. Aug 19, 07:05
I think X4 is a little to fast. As someone who began his X journey with X3 AP X4 feels like a highway on it's own. Not even a day in and I could build Carriers, if I could. This is unaccaptable. In Sandbox games the way is the goal, if you cna reach everything in a day, why even bother trying?
There are obviously a few ways to fix this problem. First increase the price of Ships by 1-100 Million. Or create more licenses.
Nope.
Nope nope nope nope nope.
You might have all the time to play a game that takes 4 thousand hours. I don't. Most people don't. X4 is already a looooong game. The game must be accessible. You are complaining that you can build carriers in less than 24 hours playing the game? That's absurd. Use a mod to extend the time for you, but understand that most people just won't accept it that way. Unless you want Egosoft to get bankrupt because it will sell the game to half a dozen people only. The steam rating is already low enough, it doesn't need to decrease more.
It's long already the way it is. It does not need to be like X3 or X2 or anything. It should be its own game.
That's the point, do you have thousands of hours to spend on a game? Lucky you, but how many have all this free time to spend?
You want a longer game? You have a lot of time so just modify the game yourself

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Sun, 25. Aug 19, 21:00

If you want to extend X4's playtime I'd personally suggest adding larger endgame goals such as territorial conquest, not making it take longer to get access to stuff like station building and larger ships.

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Mon, 26. Aug 19, 03:30

If an open ended sandbox exploration game is too long for you or you don't have the time, you really should stick to the cheesy arcade games. I bought this game as something in which to invest my playtime. If you reach the goals after a day or two of play it's not worth the price. None of the X games have historically been designed to be over after a few hundred hours. That is the reason X2 and the X3 variations were so successful; you got hundreds to thousands of hours of enjoyment. Don't try to make Egosoft change what they are just to fit your pinball millennial lifestyle.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Mon, 26. Aug 19, 06:50

Contrariwise I find X3 to be slower than it really needs to be. I've been through the effort once to learn how to do it and make money but I've no desire to do it twice over, and frankly the older I get the less time I have to do it.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Mon, 26. Aug 19, 07:50

Or, you know, include/pick advanced game starts for people who want to get to late game quickly and play the game that way. It's not as if it's a binary choice between a slower or faster progression when the beginning of the curve isn't set in stone.

The problem is that right now there is no early game and a lot of the content in the game is more or less useless as a result. Like it or not, limited resources were a big part of the variety in earlier titles' gameplay and why 'start from nothing but an M5' game starts were so popular. Doing missions to upgrade your starter ship and/or build reputation -> Going through the tiers of M5/M4/M3 ships -> Managing multiple ships and traders -> Upgrading to M6/7 ships -> Getting your first capital ships -> Building fleets and stations -> Empire management were all very different stages from one another and kept the game fresh as you sunk a lot of time into it. In fact they play almost nothing alike.

In X4 you basically jump right in at the capital ship stage, and even stations aren't very far off, so you miss out on a lot of gameplay variety and what's worse, a lot of the content presently in the game is meaningless as it's never relevant to the player because there are always better affordable options.

Yes, some people like the later stages of the game and would like to get there more quickly or do not have much time to 'waste' on early game, so just put in a game start with enough cash/assets to skip to that stage?

Ovni
xr

Post by Ovni » Tue, 27. Aug 19, 01:46

Everyone likes the feeling of progress so advanced game starts that basically skip content aren't the solution. Sliders for progress multipliers are what we need, with some slow/medium/fast presets so we're don't have to tweak them through trial and error.

Think Civ with it's settings like Epic game speed, and separate sliders for difficulty.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 27. Aug 19, 01:58

Ovni wrote:
Tue, 27. Aug 19, 01:46
Everyone likes the feeling of progress so advanced game starts that basically skip content aren't the solution. Sliders for progress multipliers are what we need, with some slow/medium/fast presets so we're don't have to tweak them through trial and error.

Think Civ with it's settings like Epic game speed, and separate sliders for difficulty.
They could adjust the difficulty of the game, without severely limiting the AI or the economy, by decreasing payouts for crystals, inventory items, and missions. Without these paying huge amounts of credits, working your way to the top would be incredibly difficult. Making money through trade, especially at the start when you don't have that many credits to begin with, is a very slow process. The AI would not be adversely affected by such changes in difficulty, but the player sure would be.

Ovni
xr

Post by Ovni » Tue, 27. Aug 19, 04:32

Falcrack wrote:
Tue, 27. Aug 19, 01:58
They could adjust the difficulty of the game, without severely limiting the AI or the economy, by decreasing payouts for crystals, inventory items, and missions. Without these paying huge amounts of credits, working your way to the top would be incredibly difficult. Making money through trade, especially at the start when you don't have that many credits to begin with, is a very slow process. The AI would not be adversely affected by such changes in difficulty, but the player sure would be.
As others pointed out, what you're proposing just makes endgame content unreachable for those who don't spend their every waking hour on the game. Which sucks both for Ego *and* those players. What we need is multipliers we can customize at any time, with some presets you can pick from. So, fictional example, I could pick the "casual" profile but then decrease the rewards from crystals mid-game because it feels like cheating but I'm happy with the progress rate in other areas.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Tue, 27. Aug 19, 04:58

or, you could just accept that the credits didn't roll as soon as you clicked "buy" on that carrier and continue to play. Up to you if you wanna call it quits there or not.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Tue, 27. Aug 19, 07:30

Ovni wrote:

Ovni wrote:
Tue, 27. Aug 19, 04:32
Falcrack wrote:
As others pointed out, what you're proposing just makes endgame content unreachable for those who don't spend their every waking hour on the game. Which sucks both for Ego *and* those players. What we need is multipliers we can customize at any time, with some presets you can pick from. So, fictional example, I could pick the "casual" profile but then decrease the rewards from crystals mid-game because it feels like cheating but I'm happy with the progress rate in other areas.
Sliders and multipliers are a recipe for disaster - it's hard enough to balance the game for one set of variables, trying to do so around any number of them is well beyond Egosoft's capacity. X4 is not like Civ in that there are many parts to a functioning economy which vastly vary game to game and testing even just one configuration is a prohibitive amount of effort every time Egosoft change things up.

Liking the feeling of progress is exactly one of the reasons why a lot of people are asking for the early game back. You wouldn't lose anything by having advanced game starts that roughly mirror how you can basically start from M ships and empire building at the moment, all such a rebalance would do is bring back the early game of prior iterations for those who want it.

Alith-Ahnar
Xtreme
Xtreme
x4

Post by Alith-Ahnar » Wed, 28. Aug 19, 10:46

adeine wrote:
Tue, 27. Aug 19, 07:30
Ovni wrote:

Ovni wrote:
Tue, 27. Aug 19, 04:32
Falcrack wrote:
Sliders and multipliers are a recipe for disaster - it's hard enough to balance the game for one set of variables, trying to do so around any number of them is well beyond Egosoft's capacity. X4 is not like Civ in that there are many parts to a functioning economy which vastly vary game to game and testing even just one configuration is a prohibitive amount of effort every time Egosoft change things up.

Liking the feeling of progress is exactly one of the reasons why a lot of people are asking for the early game back. You wouldn't lose anything by having advanced game starts that roughly mirror how you can basically start from M ships and empire building at the moment, all such a rebalance would do is bring back the early game of prior iterations for those who want it.
The thought to need a balanced game in the first place is imho the biggest problem.
Neither is X nor the previous games a competative Title nor is it even Multiplayer to begin with balanced in a classical sense it is not necessary.
I even would go as far and say it limits replay ability and role playing incentives.

The game would indeed benefit from pre game start variables that can be tweaked to change up the meta like for example poor mining grounds in core systems that would force miners into fringe systems from the get go or police presence high or low factory modifiers in regards to output and input or chances for disasters like famine and pandemics and such.
X2: You better go play with asteroids!/You losssssee profitsssss!
X4: Chelt are better pilot then you!/Machine behave badly Split switch off.

AshesOfHegemony
x4

Post by AshesOfHegemony » Wed, 28. Aug 19, 12:33

Woohooo i can't wait to be a star splitizen!

vrod
x4

Post by vrod » Fri, 30. Aug 19, 19:41

I also feel that X4 is way to easy versus X3.

I enjoyed working hard in X3, just to upgrade my engines or weapons. When I finally got a new ship, it felt like I really had something special there. It took months to get the trained marines, ship, and needed equipment to board other ships.

In X4, I can complete a couple missions, then upgrade to another ship. Maybe within 1 sitting. (Way to quick in my opinion)

I think some kind of sliders would be nice to have. Even if it was to raise or lower the prices of items. (and maybe get rid of the highways too) ;)

Ovni
xr

Post by Ovni » Sat, 31. Aug 19, 02:33

SplitBoy wrote:
Wed, 28. Aug 19, 10:46

The thought to need a balanced game in the first place is imho the biggest problem.
Neither is X nor the previous games a competative Title nor is it even Multiplayer to begin with balanced in a classical sense it is not necessary.
I even would go as far and say it limits replay ability and role playing incentives.

The game would indeed benefit from pre game start variables that can be tweaked to change up the meta like for example poor mining grounds in core systems that would force miners into fringe systems from the get go or police presence high or low factory modifiers in regards to output and input or chances for disasters like famine and pandemics and such.
Exactly. It's a sandbox, we should be able to customize our experience, that's where all the fun and replay value lies once you've seen everything. Egosoft should ensure that the Galaxy doesn't go completely bonkers on the default settings, but we should definitely be able to triple Xenon expansion rate if we feel like our life expectancy is too long. Ego can always put a big fat warning for players who don't realize they can break their game.

Personally I wouldn't mind a slower early game but I also realize that Ego can't make defaults that please everyone, so I'd rather ask for sliders.

Players should be able to share on the Workshop slider presets that lead to interesting games.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Mon, 2. Sep 19, 18:34

Options menu is long overdue for X, but
Players should be able to share on the Workshop slider presets that lead to interesting games.
The game is very random, so sharing sliders would be barely useful in reproducing a "interesting game". You can just share your settings normally (screen) in forums after all...
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

chrisco54
x4

Post by chrisco54 » Wed, 4. Sep 19, 12:19

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Tue, 6. Aug 19, 15:57
This is the first big expansion for X4
yay :!:

h1ght
x4

Post by h1ght » Sat, 7. Sep 19, 23:44

is there a changelog/feature list of 3.0 stuff/improvements/changes?

i dont want to use a mod to build a station to supply wares to the builder or do it by hand . :shock:

never played x before, just couple of minutes and was lost. this time it makes some fun. but some things missing. :?:

IblisBane
x4

Post by IblisBane » Wed, 11. Sep 19, 09:31

Well...finally.

Apart from a few days of play testing on release, I basically shelved this to a) wait for the Split expansion, (where's my Dragons and Mambas) and b) give the modders a chance to get their claws deeper into it.

With hundreds of hours in X3, I (like many others) still feel a bit let down by X4 (although not nearly as badly as Rebirth, which I stopped playing and never touched again once I realised I was locked into a single ship), but since I (out of faith) pre-ordered the collectors edition, and so get the DLC by default, I resolved to give it a fair go once the Split expansion came out.

Waiting with baited breath...but perhaps diminished expectations. :D

Return to “X4: Foundations”