Teladi methane mission

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lord Crc
x4

Teladi methane mission

Post by Lord Crc » Sun, 11. Aug 19, 20:24

Hi,

so picked this up again after a longer break. Started Teladi guild mission before the break, where I have to find methane in Eighteen Billion. After numerous hours before break, and at least 4 hours now, I still can't find more than 0.099 and mission requires 0.13...

Does the game check that it's possible to complete these missions before handing them out, or should I just abandon and pick it up again?

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Teladi methane mission

Post by radcapricorn » Sun, 11. Aug 19, 21:04

If I remember sector layout correctly...
Spoiler
Show
Try flying some distance in the east-southeast direction. Should be easy to follow the mineral/gas line on the map. You should find larger deposits of methane in a few hundred km.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sun, 11. Aug 19, 21:04

Hi Lord Crc,

Are you using resource probes? Without them it may take a long time.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Lord Crc
x4

Post by Lord Crc » Sun, 11. Aug 19, 21:43

euclid wrote:
Sun, 11. Aug 19, 21:04
I don't know of any other way of measuring methane concentration than dumping a resource probe, which makes it quite tedious to locate the "hot spots".

Lord Crc
x4

Post by Lord Crc » Sun, 11. Aug 19, 21:49

radcapricorn wrote:
If I remember sector layout correctly...
This is how I found the 0.099 concentrations. I just can't seem to find anything higher :(
Spoiler
Show
Though I haven't been right up to the edge of the sector, I'll try that.
Last edited by Lord Crc on Sun, 11. Aug 19, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Crc
x4

Post by Lord Crc » Sun, 11. Aug 19, 21:58

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Spoiler
Show
Right at the edge of the sector...
Ok that was some 5 hours down the drain. Missions yay! :lol:

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 12. Aug 19, 02:31

Lord Crc wrote:
Sun, 11. Aug 19, 21:43
euclid wrote:
I don't know of any other way of measuring methane concentration than dumping a resource probe, which makes it quite tedious to locate the "hot spots".
If you have access to a gas miner, you can select it, right click on spots in the map, and it will indicate in the menu which gases can be mined at a given location. It won't tell you how much though, but if you drop a resource probe at a location revealed this way, it will have at least some.

Dirk-Jan
x4

Post by Dirk-Jan » Tue, 13. Aug 19, 09:03

The resource missions suck big time anyway. The rocks you see around you seldom agree with what a resource probe will register. Sometimes a resource probe will register absolutely nothing while there are plenty of minable asteroids around.
It's totaly obscure how this feature works in the game (but there is a lot of that in X4)
X4: Let's do this!
(ASUS Sabertooth X99S; i7 5930@3.5; 24GB RAM; RX 580; playing latest vanilla steam version with Split Vendetta on Win10/64, "the young gun''; mogul/captain)
{playing since X-BTF}

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 14. Aug 19, 00:30

Dirk-Jan wrote:
Tue, 13. Aug 19, 09:03
The resource missions suck big time anyway. The rocks you see around you seldom agree with what a resource probe will register. Sometimes a resource probe will register absolutely nothing while there are plenty of minable asteroids around.
It's totaly obscure how this feature works in the game (but there is a lot of that in X4)
Yeah, there needs to be much better agreement between what resource probes register in a given area of space (which is what miners will use OOS for mining reources) and asteroids/resources actually present when the player is in sector. I hope Egosoft looks into it at some point.

Lord Crc
x4

Post by Lord Crc » Sun, 18. Aug 19, 14:47

Dirk-Jan wrote:
Tue, 13. Aug 19, 09:03
Oh lol. That explains a lot. I've been trying to find dense asteroid areas...

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Mon, 19. Aug 19, 01:31

There's a similar issue with identifying Silicon in Eighteen Billion as well

Even when you follow the 'ore/gas field indicators' on the map dropping a probe every 7-10 hexes
Nothing, despite the fact that you can visually select many asteroids with decent Silicon ratings in local-scan mode right where you're dropping the probe

I even created an 11,000km corridor by enabling travel drive and going for a coffee or two
No newly identified resource fields, just 11,000km of non-resourced empty black space surrounded by grey f-o-w.

Prosik
x3tc

Post by Prosik » Tue, 27. Oct 20, 21:00

Similar problem here.

Multiple Quest chain, Teladi Trade Guild -> Help Trade Operation <Very Easy> (NOT!!!)

Identify Profitable Regions
1: Find: Methane (0.06 / km^3) in Eighteen Billion
2:
3:
4:
5:

For step one PLEASE put the Exclamation Mark where you want the resource probe put on the HUD not just the map!
I think this would make this step so much easier in completing the first step maybe?
If this is not the case then place a Yellow Cube where the resource probe should go please.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 27. Oct 20, 21:20

@ Prosik: You misunderstand, the exclamation mark and globe is not where you have to put the proble; it is a vague suggestion of where to *start* probing and looking. The resource density that you need to find can often be well outside the globe and hence far from the exclamation mark. This type of mission is unfortunately all about methodical trial and error and is not normally a quick task unless the randomised requirement is low and you are very lucky at the start.

That all said, this is also a year long dormant thread too.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Lord Crc
x4

Post by Lord Crc » Tue, 27. Oct 20, 21:46

So having finished this mission some time ago (yay me), my approach was to buy like 20-30 resource probes, and then place them every km or so. The resources definitely have a gradient to them, so after a few you kinda get a feel for where to probe next. If two show the same value they're too close.

After a while I'd jump out of the seat and order the captain to pick up the ones I didn't need anymore while I fetched something to drink. Rinse repeat. I

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Tue, 27. Oct 20, 22:40

Lord Crc wrote:
Tue, 27. Oct 20, 21:46
So having finished this mission some time ago (yay me), my approach was to buy like 20-30 resource probes, and then place them every km or so. The resources definitely have a gradient to them, so after a few you kinda get a feel for where to probe next. If two show the same value they're too close.

After a while I'd jump out of the seat and order the captain to pick up the ones I didn't need anymore while I fetched something to drink. Rinse repeat. I
That's the only way to do it. I personally don't take any resource finding missions unless I know beforehand where to put the resource probe. I don't think I miss too much...

KaijuAKD

Post by KaijuAKD » Wed, 28. Oct 20, 02:28

You can know if an area has that resource trying to tell him directly to mine. The drop menu won't have the option of a resource that's not there. I let the pilot fly and drop 5 or 6 probes in a line, while I tend to the stations, once it's done, I tell him to pick them up and place another line (always take your garbage with you).

Once you do find the sweet spot, leave one probe there. Chances are you get another mission in that sector, and at least until now, that spot seems to be the richest for every mineable resource in the sector. Next mission just drop a probe near that one

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sun, 1. Nov 20, 15:34

I had missions like this, no joy after placing 100 resource probes (good spot was way outside ecliptic).

Better way is to wait for an NPC miner that goes for the required resource and have a ship place a probe at their destination(s).
Or remove all player owned probes and start a sector miner for the needed resource, then again probe the destinations.

AI should go for the highest yield resources areas by itself.

unavoidablefate
x3ap

Post by unavoidablefate » Tue, 26. Jan 21, 03:30

I know this thread is a bit old, but it's one of the very few that come up when searching for "methane" via Google. For anyone else having trouble with the resource finding missions, you really only need 1 probe and some patience. If you drop a probe and it doesn't find enough resources, you can deactivate the probe and suck it back into your ship.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 26. Jan 21, 11:10

Pref's post above yours mentioned that methodical probing approach but also proposed perhaps a couple of quicker methods too.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 26. Jan 21, 11:37

Would be nice if mining ships could have built in resource probes when player controlled. Possibly a software upgrade? This would save the tedium of dropping and reclaiming resource probes that is currently required to measure yields of resource volumes.

Would also me nice if there was an option to turn on resource grid on the map. This would show the extents of individual resource volumes (which are cubes of space) to allow a player to better know where they have explored and where they have not.

Return to “X4: Foundations”