Game is choppy now

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morleond
x4

Game is choppy now

Post by Morleond » Wed, 14. Aug 19, 18:19

its been a few months since i last played. just before the 2.5 beta. i used to play on the highest graphic setting and had no problems the game was silky smooth. but now its choppy and jerky. even on medium quality is there something i need to do to get the quality back? while the game runs my cpu is at 15% memory is 56% and my disk is at 9%. i have a AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor, 3200 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s), 16gb RAM, GTX 1050 Ti graphics card.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Game is choppy now

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 14. Aug 19, 19:36

I would suspect any changes you made to your graphics driver or associated settings over the time away from the game.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

SPiDER
x4

Post by SPiDER » Wed, 14. Aug 19, 20:03

If you have been running the 2.5 for a good few hours and the framerate has been getting worse its because of the unending spam building of f00d and med stations and all the associated traders that go with it I think its about five ships per station.so for me thats now in excess of 1100 stations spread over three sectors and 5500 traders..the game is essentially unplayable now.
It is a known issue that will be adressed in the next patch.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 14. Aug 19, 20:17

Try setting graphics to low in case it is a GPU bottleneck. Some like screen space reflections take a lot of GPU time at a GeForce 1050 Ti is not that powerful.

Otherwise it would be a CPU bottleneck. The Ryzen 1600 was never that powerful of a CPU, especially compared with Intel competitors at the time. For comparison a 3600 is ~30% faster in every way, at least.

X4 favours single thread performance and likely has massive diminishing returns with core counts above 4. This means that some of the 1600's power, the 6 core count, is not much of an advantage here.

As SPiDER has mentioned, it is possible that the performance is degrading due to the universe state becoming too complex. This will hopefully be fixed with 3.00 in a few months.

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Wed, 14. Aug 19, 21:36

It's disappointing to yet again read about poor multi-threaded optimisation. It seems that no matter what super CPU's the chip providers will make, Egosoft will always find a way to bring them to their knees. And then blame the video drivers. :P

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Wed, 14. Aug 19, 22:08

Well, believe it or not, I was updating all drivers on my late-2018 machine lately, especially all those thousands of Intel drivers, which is a chore on Windows 10, and X4 runs butter smooth, now.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 14. Aug 19, 22:56

@ Memnoch: Reading what the OP wrote, it is pretty difficult to credit that the game's 'multi-threaded optimisation' somehow became much worse between 2.21 and 2.50 while the OP wasn't playing.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 15. Aug 19, 01:32

Memnoch wrote:
Wed, 14. Aug 19, 21:36
It's disappointing to yet again read about poor multi-threaded optimisation. It seems that no matter what super CPU's the chip providers will make, Egosoft will always find a way to bring them to their knees. And then blame the video drivers.
Name a game which has good multi-threaded optimization? The answer is you cannot because there are no such games in existence.

Take a game like Total War Warhammer or 3 Kingdoms (this applies to both). High core count actually reduces performance because the multi-threading overhead starts to outweigh the parallel execution gains. Running on a stock 3900X, a 12 Core 24 thread consumer CPU, results in abysmal performance similar to if not worse than a processor from 10 years ago. Now take the same game, limit it to running on only 4 cores (2/3 of the CPU is idle), and suddenly performance is within 10% of a Core I7 9800K. Like wise the Core I7 9800K beats the more powerful Core I9 9900K because it has half the thread count. The point of this example? Adding multi-threading support for the sake of using cores does not make a game perform better.

Games like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Farcry (whatever number is the latest) are massive AAA budget games. These games do take advantage of multiple cores and show some of the best scaling of all games. However despite having a massive AAA budget even they suffer from diminishing returns with an AMD 3600 preforming very close to an AMD 3900X despite having half the thread count and lower clock. If huge companies with stupidly large budgets cannot get a game to scale well with thread count then how can one possibly expect a small developer like Egosoft to? Yes it could be better but it would still perform similar on a 4 or 6 core part as at 8 or 12 core part.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Thu, 15. Aug 19, 01:55

I think the multi-core argument comes from a mentality of "More cores=better, less cores=bad". Which is not quite the way it works. And it depends heavily on what you are doing and how and if those extra cores can even be put to good use in your particular situation.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Thu, 15. Aug 19, 02:37

Slashman wrote:
Thu, 15. Aug 19, 01:55
I think the multi-core argument comes from a mentality of "More cores=better, less cores=bad". Which is not quite the way it works. And it depends heavily on what you are doing and how and if those extra cores can even be put to good use in your particular situation.
Also people not understanding Amdahl's law.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 15. Aug 19, 13:22

adeine wrote:
Thu, 15. Aug 19, 02:37
Slashman wrote:
Thu, 15. Aug 19, 01:55
Also people not understanding Amdahl's law.
They might not even know about it - only the promises by the [marketing] guys who sell them their CPUs.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 15. Aug 19, 14:02

I think there was a post by CBJ a while back shedding some light on how we're doing things processor wise and why you won't necessarily see the game utilising all cores. Probably should have bookmarked that. If you are saying that performance with the same save has degraded between two dates and two versions, it is more likely that it is something system related. I'm not aware of any performance issues introduced in 2.50, only slight optimisations.

It may be worth posting a DXDiag to see if anyone can spot something odd. Also, try comparing performance with a new game.

As for performance in general, I'll just quote what I posted the other day.
Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Fri, 9. Aug 19, 16:45
We are aware of several aspects of the late game which may lower performance. Some of these are side-effects of issues such as factions building too many ships/stations, so in fixing (and patching) these, there'll hopefully be a noticable improvement. Of course, it's all situational and doesn't help if the cause is player objects. A sector with several mega-complexes is always going to tank performance, but we are looking at general optimisations for cases such as these.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

ballti
x4

Post by ballti » Thu, 15. Aug 19, 16:54

AA will kill your GPU for sure, so turn off that thing. Restart game evry few hours. OC R5 1600 on 3.8Ghz and you will have most of time 60FPS+.
Wargasm

bmaxa
x4

Post by bmaxa » Thu, 15. Aug 19, 18:05

Morleond wrote:
Wed, 14. Aug 19, 18:19
its been a few months since i last played. just before the 2.5 beta. i used to play on the highest graphic setting and had no problems the game was silky smooth. but now its choppy and jerky. even on medium quality is there something i need to do to get the quality back? while the game runs my cpu is at 15% memory is 56% and my disk is at 9%. i have a AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor, 3200 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s), 16gb RAM, GTX 1050 Ti graphics card.
Your card is too weak for this game. I have rx580/8G and play on medium.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Thu, 15. Aug 19, 20:08

Tamina wrote:
Wed, 14. Aug 19, 22:08
Well, believe it or not, I was updating all drivers on my late-2018 machine lately, especially all those thousands of Intel drivers, which is a chore on Windows 10, and X4 runs butter smooth, now.
Yeah X4 runs butter smooth when your in space not on a station. But The moment I land on any station I get about 5-10 frames per second.
Just... another... bug.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 15. Aug 19, 20:33

bmaxa wrote:
Thu, 15. Aug 19, 18:05
Your card is too weak for this game. I have rx580/8G and play on medium.
X4 runs on a GTX 760 just fine and still looks pretty good considering. One just has to optimize the settings, especially turning off AA and screen space stuff.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Mon, 19. Aug 19, 22:53

Intel's GPA tool is pretty useful in finding if slow downs are purely because of graphics settings/scene complexity or something else.
https://software.intel.com/en-us/gpa/system-analyzer
Supports vulkan games, but i havent tried it with X4.
Vertex count/ triangle count and drawcalls give you a good understanding of how complex the 3d scene is. Other effects (AA etc) come on top of that.
High draw call count, low vertex count is indication for bad model/3d scene optimisation.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

taztaz502
x4

Post by taztaz502 » Tue, 20. Aug 19, 17:28

Morleond wrote:
Wed, 14. Aug 19, 18:19
Yeah i seem to be having the same thing (1080ti), vanilla game but get sudden FPS drops quite a lot.

Doesn't make the game unplayable but it's quite annoying.

Return to “X4: Foundations”