Something wrong with stationary defenses OOS - Improvements in a future build.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ScandyNav
x4

Something wrong with stationary defenses OOS - Improvements in a future build.

Post by ScandyNav » Tue, 20. Aug 19, 15:34

When you look at npc defense station composition, you will see at least 6 defense platforms on it. Each of them have fearsome amount of L turrets and shields.
But when you look at some combats happening OOS, you can see that single xenon K easily wipe out whole defense station. And the damage which it, K, receives in return looks like only couple of M turrets working from the station.
So, what's wrong? Is it happening because of very low hull hp of defense platforms? Or is it turrets bugged and not working at all?

adeine
x4

Re: Something wrong with stationary defenses OOS

Post by adeine » Wed, 21. Aug 19, 03:49

The latter. Defence stations really don't work and more often than not will not return fire unless targeted with primary weapons (i.e. not turret based ships).

Lord Crc
x4

Post by Lord Crc » Wed, 21. Aug 19, 05:27

This goes for player stations as well, I presume?

pref
x4

Post by pref » Wed, 21. Aug 19, 13:06

Once i built a huge defence complex on a gate, and what happens IS and i assume OOS as well is that it very rarely fires at targets.

Had a single K come through the gate, and it destroyed several 100m worth of defence stations without getting a scratch because it's active target was another object, only its turrets were firing at my def station.
So the station turrets never opened fire and i just sat there watching my complex get blown up module by module which had several hundred turrets and could kill the K in about 5 sec.

You have to make the enemy ship directly attack the station or any of its subordinates, then if the ship is in firing range the defence modules should fire.
I tried to solve that by adding subordinate lasertowers around the station, and docking 4 gorgons with turrets on attack on the station so that the path the incoming ships travel on crosses their firing range. This way i could sometimes trigger a response from the def station IS.

Not sure how well it works OOS, but due to other issues if you just drop a swarm of lasertowers those will kill all enemy ship turrets in no time leaving the defenceless hull wandering around anyway. It just messes up the map and HUD while in sector.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 21. Aug 19, 14:32

Part of the problem is the time it takes for OOS units to spot that there are enemies nearby. By the time they do so, the enemies have often moved on or destroyed their target. This is a limitation of the current OOS simulation, which does it to keep the processing time for OOS battles to a sensible level. However, we are currently working on improvements to this that should drastically improve the detection rates. What you describe is exactly the kind of scenario this improvement is designed to address, so hopefully you will see some benefit from it when it is released (likely to be with 3.00 and the Split Vendetta DLC).

pref
x4

Post by pref » Wed, 21. Aug 19, 22:03

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 21. Aug 19, 14:32
Part of the problem is the time it takes for OOS units to spot that there are enemies nearby. By the time they do so, the enemies have often moved on or destroyed their target.
Will the attack logic remain the same - only respond to direct attacks?
Is this logic the same OOS?

Return to “X4: Foundations”