Idea - XL freighters and miners...without the need to make them for every race

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Idea - XL freighters and miners...without the need to make them for every race

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 27. Aug 19, 17:15

Hey Egosoft,
How about you make XL Freighter and XL miners (gas and mineral) for ALI faction?

Pros:
- you only need to make 2 ships (and 2 variants of one of them) - no need to have them for every single faction.
- you add more unique ships to ALI (now it's only Nodan fighters) that fit ALI philosophy (they are sopose to provide reliefe for system still cut away from gate - big ass freighters and miners would be good idea for such sub-light missions to nearby systems).
- you add missing freighter and miner size, that is badly needed for the people with 100+ module complexes.
- you could even kidbash Paranid XL Support ship (just strap one some containers, mining turrets and call it a day).

Cons:
- none?
- minimum effort on your side?
- you have to write an ecyclopedia entry for 3 ships (aparently you have problem with that :P )
Last edited by mr.WHO on Tue, 27. Aug 19, 18:09, edited 2 times in total.

tomchk
x4

Re: Idea - XL freighters and miners...without the need to make them for every race

Post by tomchk » Tue, 27. Aug 19, 18:03

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 27. Aug 19, 17:15
Hey Egosoft,
How about you make XL Freighter and XL miners (gas and mineral) for ALI faction?
Sounds great to me! I really wish they could dedicate more time to low hanging fruit like this...
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

mr.WHO
x4

Re: Idea - XL freighters and miners...without the need to make them for every race

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 14. Sep 19, 10:37

I heard a rumors that Split DLC will have some big freighters - is this is true or a mistake/error in translation?

Does big refer only to size or also to storage capacity?

sh1pman
x4

Post by sh1pman » Sat, 14. Sep 19, 14:32

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 14. Sep 19, 10:37
I heard a rumors that Split DLC will have some big freighters - is this is true or a mistake/error in translation?

Does big refer only to size or also to storage capacity?
Can’t imagine Split ships having high storage capacity, so, hopefully, it refers to XL ships.

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Sun, 15. Sep 19, 01:18

In 2.6 beta, the cargo space of all miners got doubled. A Crane sentinel can hold almost 60000 cargo space. This is already overkill, their is no need for XL miners.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 15. Sep 19, 09:25

Karmaticdamage wrote:
Sun, 15. Sep 19, 01:18
In 2.6 beta, the cargo space of all miners got doubled. A Crane sentinel can hold almost 60000 cargo space. This is already overkill, their is no need for XL miners.
Huh - I haven't seen this in beta change log, but if it's true, then we just need bigger freighters.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sun, 15. Sep 19, 11:10

I still like this idea in principle tbh, even if it's not needed for those ships. Maybe later down the line they could reintroduce some corporations like OTAS and with that bring some ship variety that doesn't require adding to every single faction, which is only bound to become more work as other empire factions like Split are added.
***modified***

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 15. Sep 19, 11:27

I'd love the idea of bigger trade / mining ships. Regarding XL mining ships, they could have their place by doubling up as a mini refinery.

An XL trade ship would suit my play style as a mobile HQ, but they'd have to have a downside for balance. - Perhaps there's a 5 minute lead time for travel mode, and their bulk makes acceleration very, very slow in normal travel mode.

But, yeah, it works for me.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 15. Sep 19, 21:08

XL miner and trade ships might have a use with the improved trade logic in 2.60. I actually see my L transport subordinates using most of their volume to move wares around unlike in 2.50.

Return to “X4: Foundations”