Hey Egosoft - is there any reason why there is no torpedo turret?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Hey Egosoft - is there any reason why there is no torpedo turret?

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 5. Sep 19, 17:00

We have tracked and dumbfire turrets, but there is no torpedo turrets for capital ships.

I thought it might be to make bombers unique, but then why all other fighters also can field torpedo launchers?

Torpedo turrets would be ideal choice for people who dislike "pew pew pew" plasma turrets.

RoverTX
x4

Re: Hey Egosoft - is there any reason why there is no torpedo turret?

Post by RoverTX » Thu, 5. Sep 19, 17:19

Bombers need something. The only Corvette is a better bomber...

I am actually kind of surprised that the Frigates have 100 torpedo slots while the bombers only have 40. Shouldn’t that be reversed?

Pesanur
x4

Post by Pesanur » Thu, 5. Sep 19, 18:32

RoverTX wrote:
Thu, 5. Sep 19, 17:19
Bombers need something. The only Corvette is a better bomber...

I am actually kind of surprised that the Frigates have 100 torpedo slots while the bombers only have 40. Shouldn’t that be reversed?
With their four turrets, bombers are more gunships that bombers.

IronSquid501
x4

Post by IronSquid501 » Fri, 6. Sep 19, 01:51

RoverTX wrote:
Thu, 5. Sep 19, 17:19
Same thoughts here... "Bombers" are more like "Light frigates"
AKA Neil the Grass Titan

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Fri, 6. Sep 19, 02:29

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 5. Sep 19, 17:00
We have tracked and dumbfire turrets, but there is no torpedo turrets for capital ships.

I thought it might be to make bombers unique, but then why all other fighters also can field torpedo launchers?

Torpedo turrets would be ideal choice for people who dislike "pew pew pew" plasma turrets.
Torpedo in general should be exclusive for bombers. I hope there is a mod out there that can fix this lazy design

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 6. Sep 19, 08:38

Different sorts of ship should have different restrictions on the type of missile they can hold and fire. For example S ships should only be able to hold light missiles and light torpedoes. Corvettes should have very low missile capacity making more than 1 launcher not really effective and be unable to shoot torpedoes but can fire both light and heavy missiles. Frigates should have reasonable capacity as they are considerably larger than bombers but also cannot shoot torpedoes. Bombers should have the largest capacity and also access to firing heavy torpedoes.

Capital ships should be limited to only some sorts of missiles as well. For example none of them should be able to fire Heavy Swarm Missiles as currently those are the best missiles to use.

Additionally the storage cost of missiles should vary with type. Light missiles currently cost the same as heavy missiles and given their low damage make for very poor utilization of missile capacity.

AquilaRossa
x4

Post by AquilaRossa » Fri, 6. Sep 19, 12:09

I hope there is a mod out there that can fix this lazy design
I read that they are a small team working long hours. How is that lazy?

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Fri, 13. Sep 19, 03:03

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 5. Sep 19, 17:00

That would be insanely OP.

Stack one destroyer with torpedoes and it will just solo any capital ship you throw at it. Normally torpedoes should be only for bomber class ships

MHDriver
x4

Post by MHDriver » Sat, 14. Sep 19, 03:18

I am inclined to agree with the OP nature of a torp turret. Right now a torp Nemesis can kill every cap ship with properly placed salvos. Having torp turrets would just make an "I win" button in the current game.

gorgofdoom
x4

Post by gorgofdoom » Sat, 14. Sep 19, 22:21

Since torpedo's can be targeted and shot down, I fail to see how this is a 'push to win' scenario. Additionally, they cost like 10k per torp. If you armed your destroyer with only torpedo launchers, and pitted it against a ship with either lasers or bolters, it would waste all your money.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 15. Sep 19, 20:58

Warnoise wrote:
Fri, 13. Sep 19, 03:03
That would be insanely OP.

Stack one destroyer with torpedoes and it will just solo any capital ship you throw at it. Normally torpedoes should be only for bomber class ships
One can already do this with Heavy Swarm Missiles which have comparable DPS to Torpedoes. Yes it can solo practically everything. Especially once you have a few Smart Chip and Missile Component modules operational so the 500 odd Heavy Swarm Missiles it requires per restock are free.

The DPS difference is quite small. Heavy Swarm Missiles deal 460 DPS while Heavy Torpedoes deal 575 DPS. An increase in 25% DPS only. Sure Heavy Torpedoes are longer range, but 5.5km is already long range enough to snipe all L and XL ships with ease as only L guns and L Plasma Turrets will return fire at you and chances are all of them will miss anyway. Not counting missiles since those would match you range wise for logical reasons. Heavy Swarm Missiles also turn better and fly faster.
MHDriver wrote:
Sat, 14. Sep 19, 03:18
I am inclined to agree with the OP nature of a torp turret. Right now a torp Nemesis can kill every cap ship with properly placed salvos. Having torp turrets would just make an "I win" button in the current game.
Right now an Odysseus can kill every cap ship effortlessly by using the power of Heavy Swarm Missiles.
gorgofdoom wrote:
Sat, 14. Sep 19, 22:21
Since torpedo's can be targeted and shot down, I fail to see how this is a 'push to win' scenario. Additionally, they cost like 10k per torp. If you armed your destroyer with only torpedo launchers, and pitted it against a ship with either lasers or bolters, it would waste all your money.
Torpedoes cannot be targeted as far as I am aware. This applies to all missiles.

One can set turrets to "Missile Defence" and they will try to shoot down the missiles automatically. However as one should already be well aware this is a near useless activity. Between Missiles and Torpedoes being very small and auto aiming not factoring in your ship movement you will be lucky to intercept a single missile of a volley before they impact or naturally self destruct from timing out. Bolts are useless at missile defence due to their spread and low projectile speed. Pulse Lasers are what I have noticed occasionally intercepting a missile or hitting a Defence Drone. M Beams probably work quite well, but are the weakest of all turrets and even still might just miss the missiles completely.

Currently your best defence against missiles is speed and Flares. Ships like the Nemesis cannot be hit by Torpedoes or Heavy Missiles as they are slower than it. Flares are the final "pray" solution as they will cause some percentage of missiles and torpedoes to retarget or lose tracking, but usually at this stage one made a huge blunder and will not be surviving anyway.

Then you get to the Heavy Swarm Missile Odysseus. Now each missile fired from each of the 16 turrets is actually 8 missiles, for 4/5 of the total DPS of if it was firing Heavy Torpedoes but with much higher flight speed and better tracking. Good luck shooting any of that down and that is already in X4!

Missiles and Torpedoes are dirt cheap and one can easily afford to spam hundreds of them needlessly. They are made from Energy Cells, Smart Chips and Missile Components. All 3 of these are dirt cheap to produce, can be produced in large quantities easily and do not require expensive factories. Then one can either turn them into missiles at your own Wartf/Equipment dock, or if you cannot afford the blueprints a Supply Ship (S to XL) or Carrier (S to M) can be used. Cut out the huge assembly mark-up and discount the raw materials and you will be surprised how cheap Heavy Torpedoes, or any missile, become.

The Heavy Swarm Missile Odysseus has enough missiles to destroy around 5 Xenon Is before running low and requiring a restock. In theory one could have an additional I worth of 100 Heavy Swarm Missiles inside each of 10 frigates stored in the Odysseus hold and on the back for a total capacity of nearly 10,000,000 damage, however microing the transfers would be a pain and so it is far easier to order a refit at a maintenance bay.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Mon, 16. Sep 19, 02:20

Missile turrets have ruined vanilla for me from the start. they were always a bad idea and OP and lame. Doubly so since it seemed like every AI capship was using all missile turrets.

The bomber thing is also weird. They are m6s for all intents and purposes.

For their virtues in making spaceship economy games, Egosoft really isnt very good at combat design. Or they get stuck trying to get things out the door and they never have time to iterate combat design.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Mon, 16. Sep 19, 19:43

AquilaRossa wrote:
Fri, 6. Sep 19, 12:09
I hope there is a mod out there that can fix this lazy design
I read that they are a small team working long hours. How is that lazy?
He didn't say they were lazy. He said it is a lazy design.

Fact: It is a lazy design.
All your Hyperion Vanguards are belong to us.

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Tue, 17. Sep 19, 06:11

I hope they fix bomber AI first. I was astonished when i saw my bomber (peregrine equipped with 2 MK2 launcher tubes ) literally went to the target so closely that it was bumping into it then launch its torpedoes almost killing itself in the process.

They should put more resources into fixing AI's because there is no point in adding stuff with broken AI.

Return to “X4: Foundations”