Any chance of station turret behaviour settings in 3.0?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

EmperorDragon
x4

Any chance of station turret behaviour settings in 3.0?

Post by EmperorDragon » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 16:48

I spend a lot of additional resources making sure my stations are well-armed and, thanks to X4's awesome modular station construction, I often build stations that serve a military purpose with no production at all. The thing is, it all just feels like a massive waste of time and resources when all those turrets just sit there waiting to be attacked first (often suffering damage in the process). They should vapourize enemies before they get a chance to attack, that's what they're there for.

Now I know Egosoft is working on improving the station AI to better determine and select targets but, why overcomplicate things with an already dodgy AI when simple "defend", "attack all enemies" etc. commands will do the trick just fine? Give us the choice instead of making us even more dependent on the misbehaving AI.

As it seems, the reason for station turrets not having behaviour settings is because it will allow players to effectively block off regions of space with fortress-stations set to "attack all enemies"... so what's the problem exactly? We do the same with ships anyway. Is building a powerful empire with impenetrable defenses not a long-term goal for any empire building player? Is it not the player's choice to do so?

Speaking of which, is a single, well-armed military station not a better alternative than a messy swarm of ships or lasertowers doing the same job anyway? Will it not spare some framerates and avoid potential bugs in the process if you use a single, static station for perimeter defense instead of swarms of ships/lasertowers? I just cannot see how a huge cluster of lasertowers cluttering up the map view is better for the sake of game balance than using a military station's turrets for the same purpose instead.

Pleeeeease Egosoft! Give us some control back!
“To be the first to enter the cosmos, to engage, single-handed, in an unprecedented duel with nature - could one dream of anything more?” - Yuri Gagarin

Falcrack
x4

Re: Any chance of station turret behaviour settings in 3.0?

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 17:10

I endorse this idea

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 17:22

Me too.
it is very disturbing to see entire Xenon armada flying back and forth next to my gate defense station.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 17:25

This seems like a great idea. I haven't tried defense stations yet but was worried they wouldn't be worthwhile, and this confirms it for now.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 17:57

Also, custom turret commands! A way to set target priorities, so that large capital class weapons will prefer to shoot at capitals, anti-fighter weapons will preferentially target fighters, a turret command which you can set to target missiles first, then fighters, then other stuff, etc.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 18:05

There is a chance...
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

sh1pman
x4

Post by sh1pman » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 18:41

linolafett wrote:
Wed, 2. Oct 19, 18:05
There is a chance...
Also these turrets die very quickly OOS. It seems like after 2 minutes of OOS combat with a group of fighters the station has no functioning turrets anymore.

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 21:29

I think this thread answered the very question I came to ask today...

So we don't or can't control any defensive base weapons at this point, right? I could have swore I read somewhere, someone talking about being inside a defensive base while fighting off Xenon.. I must of misread it.

I think it would be cool as heck to have a Command Control segment that we could enter and take control of station defensive systems, be able to monitor and even watch battles happen and unfold...

That would be a lot of fun...
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 22:00

btw there should be more customizable turret commands, like in X3 AP were you could define your own priorities.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 22:12

Malakie wrote:
Wed, 2. Oct 19, 21:29
So we don't or can't control any defensive base weapons at this point, right? I could have swore I read somewhere, someone talking about being inside a defensive base while fighting off Xenon.. I must of misread it.

I think it would be cool as heck to have a Command Control segment that we could enter and take control of station defensive systems, be able to monitor and even watch battles happen and unfold...
This would be amazing. Manning a turret directly on ship or station would also be amazing, but I don't want to push for too much all at once! Just a "C&C" area where we can make any kind of change, like you described, would be a huge improvement.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Thecrippler

Post by Thecrippler » Wed, 2. Oct 19, 23:11

i hope we will have capital turrets control manually in 3.0 flying big ships with out any controls is BORING i be happy to control L or XL turrets

aviticus_dragon
x4

Post by aviticus_dragon » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 15:12

+1 for station behavior settings.

Felicitus Bigbeaver
x4

Post by Felicitus Bigbeaver » Mon, 7. Oct 19, 18:13

Theres a great opportunity here for both ships and stations, maybe a single turret or group of turrents could be controlled from a terminal. on the screen targetting dots could be where the turret will hit as it trys to follow the mouse cursor. We need more of those terminals on the cap ships and the factories to have actual roles.

Return to “X4: Foundations”