How do you beat an Xenon "I" or "K"

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Faley

How do you beat an Xenon "I" or "K"

Post by Faley » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 00:06

I don't think there any 'spoilers in this question because I am really asking for opinions, if there is, please so mark as spoiler. I installed a ship mod for a Argon Behmoth Renegrade which I thought was awesome. However, I really got my butt kicked when I confronted a "K". Is there a ship that can destroy a K one on one? Game version or mod. I gotta get this K thats been destroying my freighters. There are two of them in the sector (Holy Vision) thats been killing my ships. I took two Argon Behomoth Renegrades after it and got sent away running with my tail between my turrets. Xenon also had an "I" in that sector which I couldn't beat either.

Vondor
x4

Re: How do you beat an Xenon "I" or "K"

Post by Vondor » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 00:12

Just produce about 2000 Discoverer, make them a Fleet and then charge!

Edit: Oh you asked for a one on one. Nope there isn't. You really need a Fleet. But maybe not the one I suggested ;)

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 00:15

Faley wrote:
Thu, 3. Oct 19, 00:06
I don't think there any 'spoilers in this question because I am really asking for opinions, if there is, please so mark as spoiler. I installed a ship mod for a Argon Behmoth Renegrade which I thought was awesome. However, I really got my butt kicked when I confronted a "K". Is there a ship that can destroy a K one on one? Game version or mod. I gotta get this K thats been destroying my freighters. There are two of them in the sector (Holy Vision) thats been killing my ships. I took two Argon Behomoth Renegrades after it and got sent away running with my tail between my turrets. Xenon also had an "I" in that sector which I couldn't beat either.

One on one: Use any M or S ship and fly very close to its top section, the gravity drag will lock you in place and the K/I will not be able to shoot you at all due to their huge blind spot. Hold down the mouse button until it explodes.

With AI ships: Get a group of small fighter ships (if you want to be extra cheesy, equipped with ion weapons) and have them attack the K/I while you are out of sector. The ship will be almost instantly disarmed and destroyed with no meaningful resistance.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 00:20

with a nemesis or a pulsar full of pulse turrets you can kill all turrets by dodging bullets with strafing, if you mod the ship its even easier to dodge

Ks are actually easy bc you can even knockout there engines first as they are sticking out easy to hit then go do turrets on a immobile target

Is are a pain in the ass with this method and its best with lots of fighters
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 00:44

I use a Nemesis with two Plasma, two shot guns, and an Ion. Shotgun and Ion as primary and Plasma as secondary. Ion Strips Shields. Shotgun does a lot of damage up close. Plasma Provides some Burst with range.

For Ks

I fly up from behind and take out the back m turrets.

Next I go up the side and take out the M turret and then move into position where I can see the bottom turrets but they can’t see me.

You need to stay on level with the side M Turret. For the big turret fire primary until you think Shields are now then hit with Plasma. The under turrets should die pretty quickly.

There are three M Shields on the bottom front take them out.

The shields for the very front L Turrets should now be down. Blitz both of them from the underside.

Finally wait for your shields to recharge and take out the mid ship L turrets.

There are some medium turrets in the front you can now take out as you wish but at this point you can just DPS the K down.

You can do something similar with an I but it has way better coverage but I did it once. It’s top back side is pretty open to hugging in.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 01:02

Vondor wrote:
Thu, 3. Oct 19, 00:12
Edit: Oh you asked for a one on one. Nope there isn't. You really need a Fleet.
Agree with this. Xenon turrets shred other capital ships in short order, at least in in-sector battles.

Fleet I use for swatting Xenon capitals consists of a big mob of Buzzard Sentinels (distraction force) with Phoenix Vanguards providing the bulk of the firepower - primarily using main guns (turrets are all rigged for anti-fighter defense: 2xL Beam + 9xM Pulse). Fleet also has a couple of carriers (Condor Vanguards), though generally they take no part in battle & are mostly there just to transport the fighters (Phoenix destroyers only have a couple of docking bays each & are therefore painfully slow at launching & retrieving fighters).

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 01:15

You can one to one a K with an Odysseus the top blind spot is large enough, just travel engine toward its top with 3 plasma L turrets and stay there. (Your main guns are quite useful is one xenon turret manages to rotate in firing position)
For an I you need a M or S, Nemesis is best, I prefer the blind spot top rear easiest to find and use.
The quickest way to victory atm. is an exploit/bug viewtopic.php?f=192&t=419047 through.
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Faley

Post by Faley » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 01:19

WOW< lots of good ideas and lots of things to try. I think this will keep me very busy for awhile. But I gotta get those $#@$&^$$*(
thanks. wish me luck

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 01:44

The top blind spot works but becomes tricky if the K is no alone as all the smaller Xenons will attack you.

There is another option:
Below the K has small nook guarded by only one turret opposit to it. Fly in there and destroy the turret (that's the tricky part). Then hold your position and keep shooting the K. All the smaller Xenon ships will help you by trying to shoot at you but hit the K ;-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 01:45

There are two fair ways.

Easily, while the ship is in low attention send a carrier filled with Nemesis and Pulsar ships with Ion Blaster Mk2 weapons. A K lasts about 0.25 seconds and a fleet of 4 Ks about 2 seconds depending on how spread out they are. I am not joking, the shield and hull of the Ks literally melt away as if they were the weakest S ship in these conditions. Is are just tougher Ks so will take a few times longer to destroy but one is still looking at 1-2 seconds max with such a fleet. Tested with 2.60 as part of checking OoS weapon mechanics in case they fixed the nonsense that are Ion Blaster Mk2, they have not... This is total over kill, and probably 4 Nemesis with Ion Blaster Mk2 would be enough to solo a K without concern for losses rather efficiently.

The other approach is to solo them with an Odysseus Vanguard. Load it out with only Missile Turrets and use only Heavy Swarm Missiles. Modify Chassis and Engine with legendary mods, for Engine I recommend Forward Thrust. Use projectile speed mods on the main batteries. For Ks it is easy, one shoots out the engines and then flies around in circles while the missiles remove huge chunks of toughness from the ship. For Is it is more tricky as their huge length and fast rotation makes shooting the engines at 10km difficult without the front or back L turrets getting into range. Take time and if necessary keep unloading missiles on it and kill it the old fashioned brute force way. Always remember that your Main Batteries and Missiles are longer range than the XEN L turrets. Due to the number of missiles used it is recommended to own a Warf or Maintenance bay facility to restock at, preferably one supplied with wares produced at your own facilities to keep operating costs down.

Both of these approaches are "fair" in that they rely on being out right better than the K or I to win. One can also cheese a kill by relying on the fact K and I are huge ships with very bad turret coverage. There are huge dead zones of turret coverage for S and M ships on the back which once one is positioned properly one has infinite time to unload shots and eventually kill both K and I. Even the cheapest scout ship can abuse this. The only concern is other K and I in formation which you might fall into turret range of which will obliterate you, but for lone ships it is a slow but secure kill. Care must be taken when approaching the ship as the turrets could easily shred you if they connect and with M ships one can overshoot due to their momentum.

When fighting with them in sector be very careful of the XEN L Turrets. These are the only real threat the ships have and can quickly reduce the most powerful ship of yours to dust. The I especially is littered with them in large banks of up to 4. Being stationary in a L ship close to an I with all turrets operational gives you a couple of seconds before you are destroyed. This is not an issue OoS as the L turrets cannot hit S ships and with even a few M ships the damage can be managed and the turrets stripped sufficiently fast to avoid losses.

I have taken out dozens of Ks and Is using the OoS and missile destroyer approach. I have taken out dozens of Ks with a Pulse Laser Nemesis using the cheese approach. The ships are not that difficult.

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 04:48

Take a colossus or zeus loaded with plasma turrets, dock 4 bombers or frigates with plasma turrets, set all turrets to attack all enemies, ram into it and beat it head to head like a beast. No gimmicks, just strong arm it to death, I usually ram xenon I in the belly straight out of travel mode and bash it to death in under a minute. For extra manliness, mod all the plasma turrets of the docked ships with the green slasher mod. You will wonder why I excluded the condor, that is because it sucks.

Faley

Post by Faley » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 05:02

wow, I see I got hours of fun ahead.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 07:05

I find a non-exploit approach the most satisfying. I use an Odysseus with flight assist off and basically strafe around the ships at a good speed to protect from the L turret fire, while firing my batteries at those L turrets. It can go quite fast and is fairly thrilling because there is some danger involved and skill required. Nothing fancy, though. I use a Steam controller.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Wonsz
x4

Post by Wonsz » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 10:20

Faley wrote:
Thu, 3. Oct 19, 00:06
Is there a ship that can destroy a K one on one? Game version or mod.
With VRO mod:
Behemoth Vanguard - just don't forget to load it with tracking turrets and heatseeker/guided missiles and stay out of K's range. You can load enough missiles to take down 2-4 K's without resupplying.
Without this mod you can probably do something similar with dumbfire missiles - assuming that K will try to aproach you as fast as it can, flying straight line towards you, you can even hit it with dumbfires quite often.

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 11:45

I just did various tests against a xenon K.

>Xenon K melts the nemesis like no tomorrow. Despite fighting about 20 M ships it managed to kill 5 nemesis and almost destroyed 2 gorgons. I think that is mainly to AI flight path getting too close to turrets and then flying away in a straight line eating all the bullets. Oh and they fire missiles when they are getting away instead of opening with them.
>The nemesis had 4 bolts and 1 torpedo (torpedoes didnt hit absolute shit)
>S fighters (I used perseus) faired a lot better since they dodge the shots thus needing more time than M to die.
>Fighters have trouble damaging some of the surface elements of the k (especially the engines and the back turrets) i see them firing in the air just near those targets. Maybe problem of targeting

After testing, what I recommend against xenon K are a bunch of fast S fighters (6+) that can outrun the xenon turret while a couple of destroyers do the damage.

I realized that M ships die too much against it due to dumb AI.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 13:52

I wiped out the Xenon from my game and during those combats I killed a lot of K's with my player ship, a Pulsar. I flew under the ship to a spot a bit higher between the two engines and hidden from the Main Guns. But this was at 1.6.
As I read in the release notes of 2.0 that Xenon became harder to beat I finished my plans under 1.6 . But as a consequence I cannot compare now the 'thoughness' of former and actual Ks :mrgreen:
So tell me if you know both versions: is it no more possible to kill a K after diving into its 'belly' and hiding under the ship?

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 14:46

zazie wrote:
Thu, 3. Oct 19, 13:52
So tell me if you know both versions: is it no more possible to kill a K after diving into its 'belly' and hiding under the ship?
Probably not, unless someone first destroys the two big turrets between the engines. Those things can shred a Nemesis in seconds, let alone a Pulsar. But that's answering the actual question. Of course one can still dispatch a K in a Pulsar. Heck, even in a Discoverer.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 16:25

Well, the former K had these turrets too. You could hide in a kind of small cave higher up in the middle of the two engines, protected from the (deadly) turrets. If the weapon-setup of the Ks has not changed you could probably still use this 'exploit'. But as I told: I can't test it anymore in my game.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 16:29

Do you all really have fun by hiding in spots and destroying ships in that way? Seems so tedious :?
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 17:00

Buzz2005 wrote:
Thu, 3. Oct 19, 16:29
Do you all really have fun by hiding in spots and destroying ships in that way? Seems so tedious :?
Exactly--if people actually enjoy that, great, but ideally such exploits will be reduced or removed. Even while they exist, I encourage everybody to try flight assist off for a fun strafing attack using a destroyer or possibly a corvette. Component (vanilla) modifications can do wonders for this approach.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Return to “X4: Foundations”