How do you beat an Xenon "I" or "K"

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

zazie
x4

Re: How do you beat an Xenon "I" or "K"

Post by zazie » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 13:52

I wiped out the Xenon from my game and during those combats I killed a lot of K's with my player ship, a Pulsar. I flew under the ship to a spot a bit higher between the two engines and hidden from the Main Guns. But this was at 1.6.
As I read in the release notes of 2.0 that Xenon became harder to beat I finished my plans under 1.6 . But as a consequence I cannot compare now the 'thoughness' of former and actual Ks :mrgreen:
So tell me if you know both versions: is it no more possible to kill a K after diving into its 'belly' and hiding under the ship?

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 14:46

zazie wrote:
Thu, 3. Oct 19, 13:52
So tell me if you know both versions: is it no more possible to kill a K after diving into its 'belly' and hiding under the ship?
Probably not, unless someone first destroys the two big turrets between the engines. Those things can shred a Nemesis in seconds, let alone a Pulsar. But that's answering the actual question. Of course one can still dispatch a K in a Pulsar. Heck, even in a Discoverer.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 16:25

Well, the former K had these turrets too. You could hide in a kind of small cave higher up in the middle of the two engines, protected from the (deadly) turrets. If the weapon-setup of the Ks has not changed you could probably still use this 'exploit'. But as I told: I can't test it anymore in my game.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 16:29

Do you all really have fun by hiding in spots and destroying ships in that way? Seems so tedious :?
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 17:00

Buzz2005 wrote:
Thu, 3. Oct 19, 16:29
Do you all really have fun by hiding in spots and destroying ships in that way? Seems so tedious :?
Exactly--if people actually enjoy that, great, but ideally such exploits will be reduced or removed. Even while they exist, I encourage everybody to try flight assist off for a fun strafing attack using a destroyer or possibly a corvette. Component (vanilla) modifications can do wonders for this approach.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Faley

Post by Faley » Thu, 3. Oct 19, 17:19

Just an afterthought...
What is the effect of Pilot skill for those fleets? Are we talking about 4 stars? or does it manner much?

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Fri, 4. Oct 19, 10:45

@buzz2005 and tomchk: Oh boys ...
Did I say it was fun? Did I "promote" it?
No.
I used the term of 'exploit' by myself. I just wanted to know if the turret-layout or the beavior of the K's have changed. It seems they have not. That's all.

And on a more general basis: How can you critisize actions of another player in a Single-Player-Experience? Or, as the French would say: "On vous a sonné ?"

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Fri, 4. Oct 19, 11:38

we did not criticize anybody it was just a question
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

labj
x4

Post by labj » Sat, 5. Oct 19, 05:32

I have taken both I and K's down with a single destroyer and 40 Eclipse fighters, the k was gone pretty fast the I jumped thru just a few seconds later and the same force took him down

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Sun, 6. Oct 19, 01:51

Obviously if you just want an I or K removed, the cheesy way of sitting on their top carapace is the way to go. I use a Nemesis with full heavily modded pulse weaponry, because they can fire for ages before needing to cool down. The technique is less effective when there are some xenon fighters in support, and almost useless when there is more than one xenon capital. The other one will swat you.

If you want a more fun, no cheaty way, I’d suggest making a small squad, preferably with an L destroyer and a couple of M ships (Odysseus + Nemesi [plural?] obvious choices). Send in the L so it gets the first few hits, then send in the M’s for cover, then dive in yourself straight for the L turrets. They should hopefully be distracted by your L, which is tanky enough to take the hits. Try and get the turret individually targeted to get target tracking working for you, so you can kill the turret as quickly as possible. Ignore the M turrets. I think a K has 4 L turrets, two front sides, two underneath. Once the L turrets are gone, it’s no threat and you can finish it off without stress.

For an I, you will likely need more than one L, and a bunch more M’s. personally, I’ve built up a fleet of Odysseuses (L beams and M pulse) with 4 Nemesi (all pulse) for each one. A couple of squads can take a K no problems, maybe 4 for an I with no losses and no input from the player.

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Sun, 6. Oct 19, 04:38

If you're going to sit in a blind spot and plink it to death, you are far better off using a bomber or frigate with 4x M plasma turrets then a nemesis. 1 M plasma turret = 500 dps, that's more then all five M pulse on a nemesis.

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Mon, 7. Oct 19, 02:52

DavidGW wrote:
Sun, 6. Oct 19, 01:51
Obviously if you just want an I or K removed, the cheesy way of sitting on their top carapace is the way to go. I use a Nemesis with full heavily modded pulse weaponry, because they can fire for ages before needing to cool down. The technique is less effective when there are some xenon fighters in support, and almost useless when there is more than one xenon capital. The other one will swat you.

If you want a more fun, no cheaty way, I’d suggest making a small squad, preferably with an L destroyer and a couple of M ships (Odysseus + Nemesi [plural?] obvious choices). Send in the L so it gets the first few hits, then send in the M’s for cover, then dive in yourself straight for the L turrets. They should hopefully be distracted by your L, which is tanky enough to take the hits. Try and get the turret individually targeted to get target tracking working for you, so you can kill the turret as quickly as possible. Ignore the M turrets. I think a K has 4 L turrets, two front sides, two underneath. Once the L turrets are gone, it’s no threat and you can finish it off without stress.

For an I, you will likely need more than one L, and a bunch more M’s. personally, I’ve built up a fleet of Odysseuses (L beams and M pulse) with 4 Nemesi (all pulse) for each one. A couple of squads can take a K no problems, maybe 4 for an I with no losses and no input from the player.
are you talking oos or is?

I don't think an L + 4 nemesis will beat a K is.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 7. Oct 19, 04:31

Warnoise wrote:
Mon, 7. Oct 19, 02:52
I don't think an L + 4 nemesis will beat a K is.
Depends if NPC controlled or not. I solo Ks and Is all the time while piloting my Odysseus Vanguard. Very little they can do when you out range them, out speed them and are peppering them with hundreds of Heavy Swarm missiles.

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Mon, 7. Oct 19, 08:20

Found a good way to take out an I today. Same Strategy of coming up behind it as a K but a different load out. And Needs some additional firepower to DPS it down onces its turrets are stripped.

Nemesis - Ion + 2X Dumb fire (Heavy MK2) + 2 Plasma Weapons & 2 Plasma Turrets

2X Heavy Dumb fire MK2 Can take out a Xenon L Turret. If you group them right when firing you can actually take out multiple turrets in one volley.

Plasma and Ion are for Burst while Missiles are reloading.

Once all the turrets are taken down order the Calvary in to DPS it down.

Karmaticdamage
x4

Post by Karmaticdamage » Tue, 8. Oct 19, 04:41

This post is still going? If you want to solo a xenon K, just attack it with literally any destroyer, use your main guns to blow off its L turrets while turrets of w/e flavor you like burns down the hull. Want to solo a xenon I? Load a carrier with plasma turrets and docked frigates/bombers with plasma turrets, then fly up to it and watch it melt. You want to kill these ships without doing it yourself? Throw a massed group of destroyers at it. Want to kill them OOS? Throw a massed group of destroyers at it. Of course you could sit in a blind spot with a small ship and take ages longer to kill it without effort, but I prefer to get the job done fast.

Faley

Post by Faley » Fri, 11. Oct 19, 00:32

WOW, all of the advice really worked. I spent 120 million building over 40 fighters and a big carrier to carry them all. Wiped out a lot of 'K's and still have most of my ships. I even killed a K by myself with one fighter by hanging out in the belly of the K and firing away, taking out the nearby turrets first. that was really fun. all-in-all, I killed a lot of K's and two Xenon Defense platforms. having fun doing all that.
thanks again for the great advice.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Fri, 11. Oct 19, 10:56

I ignore them, and they ignore me.

Not fired a single shot ever since x4 began.

So I laugh at you poor foolish conscripts. :)

Peace Brother. :roll:

Return to “X4: Foundations”