Bored Now

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

tomchk
x4

Re: Bored Now

Post by tomchk » Thu, 10. Oct 19, 16:09

I actually don’t feel like the map is too small, especially before all the DLCs will add. I’d take faster save and load times over more map any day, but that might be an uncommon opinion.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

MarvinTheMartian
x4

Post by MarvinTheMartian » Thu, 10. Oct 19, 22:11

tomchk wrote:
Thu, 10. Oct 19, 16:09
I actually don’t feel like the map is too small, especially before all the DLCs will add.
I'm only 300 hours or so into the game and it seems the [2.6] universe is running out of natural resources (Gas & Minerals) so it's feeling pretty small to me. Don't see that adding a couple of dozen unclaimed and empty sectors would harm performance too much.
tomchk wrote:
Thu, 10. Oct 19, 16:09
I’d take faster save and load times over more map any day, but that might be an uncommon opinion.
Not sure I'd take this over a larger universe, except when repeatedly reloading to get a different RNG outcome, but it doesn't seem like anything is on the roadmap for this...
CBJ wrote:
Wed, 9. Oct 19, 12:16
We have no plans to change the savegame format.
Cdaragorn wrote:
Mon, 7. Oct 19, 19:52
I've never bought into this reasoning. This isn't how it works in most RL situations.
There are several examples of this today where one country, or group of countries, enforce sanctions against others that aren't playing by the same rule book and parties/countries that break those sanctions are sanctioned themselves; i.e. have their assets frozen, travel rights revoked and/or prosecuted. Makes sense to me that if you're aligned with one race/faction then it would be frowned upon if you got too chummy with their enemy.

The X games have always had allies and enemies: Argon-Boron alliance and Split-Paranid alliance; Argon-Paranid enemies and Boron-Split enemies. You'd get a subtle reward for attacking an "enemy" ship in a faction's sector e.g. kill a Paranid in Argon Prime but no down side for doing something positive with that enemy.

So long as we have means of accessing a race's tech (blueprints) without having to purchase from the race directly then you could still play a full game. Slightly more perilous in X4 without jump drives but that adds another dimension to the game. Even if this was a game option.
Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
X3AP 3.1 Printable Universe Sector Map

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Fri, 11. Oct 19, 00:11

MarvinTheMartian wrote:
Thu, 10. Oct 19, 22:11
I'm only 300 hours or so into the game and it seems the [2.6] universe is running out of natural resources (Gas & Minerals) so it's feeling pretty small to me. Don't see that adding a couple of dozen unclaimed and empty sectors would harm performance too much.
I like the idea of more empty/unclaimed areas with more resources. To reduce the demand on Egosoft's asset creators, and to bring us back scenic superhighway trips, they should just add more sectors in the same systems and connect them with superhighways that swing around planets and so on. That would improve multiple things at once!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 11. Oct 19, 09:06

tomchk wrote:
Fri, 11. Oct 19, 00:11
MarvinTheMartian wrote:
I like the idea of more empty/unclaimed areas with more resources. To reduce the demand on Egosoft's asset creators, and to bring us back scenic superhighway trips, they should just add more sectors in the same systems and connect them with superhighways that swing around planets and so on. That would improve multiple things at once!
Love that idea. Would love anything that removes the uncomfortable pseudo-sterility I'm sure many Rebirth players must feel when migrating to X4.

Yeah, a lot of the new widgets and stuff are awesome, but I want visual awe and a greater degree of interaction universally.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 13. Oct 19, 19:20

DLC might double the amount of sectors, but note that we will have only two Split factions (imagine soemthing the size of Argon + Antigone). Progably some Xenon and pirate sectors as well, plus many empty/unclaimed sectors (what we don't have many in vanilla X4).

This means that while DLC will expand the universe +100%. The economy will probably expand at most +20-30%.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Mon, 14. Oct 19, 00:08

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 13. Oct 19, 19:20
DLC might double the amount of sectors, but note that we will have only two Split factions (imagine soemthing the size of Argon + Antigone). Progably some Xenon and pirate sectors as well, plus many empty/unclaimed sectors (what we don't have many in vanilla X4).

This means that while DLC will expand the universe +100%. The economy will probably expand at most +20-30%.
Great point--I'm confident you're right, and it would honestly be a relief. I want most people to be able to keep playing with decent performance!

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Mon, 14. Oct 19, 00:29

Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 11. Oct 19, 09:06
tomchk wrote:
Fri, 11. Oct 19, 00:11
Love that idea. Would love anything that removes the uncomfortable pseudo-sterility I'm sure many Rebirth players must feel when migrating to X4.

Yeah, a lot of the new widgets and stuff are awesome, but I want visual awe and a greater degree of interaction universally.
Thanks! It might be worth posting this as a suggestion more prominently, at least if 3.0 Beta doesn't include it. When it comes to adding more space, I can't imagine an easier or more graphically enhancing way!
Last edited by tomchk on Mon, 14. Oct 19, 06:02, edited 1 time in total.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Mon, 14. Oct 19, 05:02

I have same problem as OP all thought I only have around 150h on X4 lol. That is only drop in the bucket compared to X3 titles and even XR that I have over 2000h.... I already have number of mega complexes and basically all of shipyards are full and I cant sell anything anymore. Not sure if it is bug or im overproducing and shipyards are too slow (might build my own shipyard)... Anyway I think main problem is that there is not that much action/combat on demand like in older titles. For example we could have missions where we could attack pirate capital ships or even fleets (XR) while in X4 biggest challenge was hopeless trading ship half way across universe. Also X4 universe is not designed or should I say too small for trading and waging war at the same time (for player anyway). In X3 we could build empire in Argon Prime cluster and focus on war with Terrans at the same time in XR we could attack PMC and build empire in OL.... I think bringing back good old pirates back with their randomly spawned missions/ships where we can destroy or board their ships without pissing any major race would be nice. Also if Ego ever decide to bring back defend stations or kill boos missions from XR would be nice too. Personally I don't think this will happen but it is too bad because this is actually solid game...There was a talk about expanding combat but I haven't heard anything about this anymore as Ego don't want to share anything (I haven't seen anything about it anyway).
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Mon, 14. Oct 19, 06:00

I trust 3.0 will bring some big combat mission additions. I hope they can manage to stay away from spawning and instead find ways to use the mayhem happening to generate missions. It will be here soon. Let’s hang on to hope!

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 14. Oct 19, 06:06

I've kinda gotten to the point where I am more interested in making and reading comments in the forums than playing the game!

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Mon, 14. Oct 19, 06:10

Falcrack wrote:
Mon, 14. Oct 19, 06:06
I've kinda gotten to the point where I am more interested in making and reading comments in the forums than playing the game!
Haha I might be there, too.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Wed, 16. Oct 19, 04:55

tomchk wrote:
Mon, 14. Oct 19, 06:00
I trust 3.0 will bring some big combat mission additions. I hope they can manage to stay away from spawning and instead find ways to use the mayhem happening to generate missions. It will be here soon. Let’s hang on to hope!
I hope you are right about 3.0 .... Problem with them not spawning ships will be no different than war missions where we need to wait until events happen like X amount of time for those ships built. That is the problem with limited universe that we have ( economy can't keep up as much as players can destroy). It is much efficient to spawn fleet to destroy than having those ships produced flying around until we get mission to destroy it . This all take more resources on your PC and X4 is already too high when it comes to average PC's...
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Cdaragorn
x4

Post by Cdaragorn » Wed, 16. Oct 19, 18:30

MarvinTheMartian wrote:
Cdaragorn wrote:
Mon, 7. Oct 19, 19:52
I've never bought into this reasoning. This isn't how it works in most RL situations.
There are several examples of this today where one country, or group of countries, enforce sanctions against others that aren't playing by the same rule book and parties/countries that break those sanctions are sanctioned themselves; i.e. have their assets frozen, travel rights revoked and/or prosecuted. Makes sense to me that if you're aligned with one race/faction then it would be frowned upon if you got too chummy with their enemy.
Maybe you should read my entire post rather than cherry pick my opening statement and run off of that. Yes there are plenty of cases where countries enforce sanctions and other such penalties on other countries that do things they don't like. I'm addressing the very specific example that's being talked about which is doing that kind of thing to someone that is trading with a party you're at war with as well as with you. In general that's considered a poor choice in RL because it ends up hurting you just as much as it hurts those you enact the penalties against and your actual opponents (whoever you're at war with, for example). I don't agree with the general argument that it makes sense to bring down your rep just because you traded with someone someone else didn't like. Maybe if your rep is really high it might make sense to bring it down until it reaches a more neutral level. Certainly not let it get to where you're hated or at war with that race, though.
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost." -- J.R.R. Tolkein

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Wed, 16. Oct 19, 21:26

How about a steady (but not immediate decrease) in reputation for stealing a ship from a faction? For example, it could create a mission where you are required to return the ship or pay some discounted price for it, and as long as you don't, you lose 1 reputation every in-game day or something. I don't like having no long-term repercussions for major acts of piracy and killing...

Return to “X4: Foundations”