Boron tanks and cockpits - the watery solution

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Boron tanks and cockpits - the watery solution

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 12. Oct 19, 07:42

Liquid filled ships and stations pose a problem for development as it would mean all faction character models need another variation and to change variation depending on if liquid filled or not.

Liquid filled -> all humanoids wear diving suits and swim around while boron swim freely.
Air filled -> all humanoids walk in their normal attire while boron float around slowly in pods.

This would mean an entire set of assets, including animations as well as shader and engine logic to cope with this. Not easy to do and certainly not worth it considering how little time you spend walking around platforms or space ships as there is little to do on them. Far better those resources are devoted to making new ships, station modules, e.t.c.

AndrewR
x3

Post by AndrewR » Sat, 12. Oct 19, 10:12

Imperial Good wrote:
Sat, 12. Oct 19, 07:42
Liquid filled ships and stations pose a problem for development as it would mean all faction character models need another variation and to change variation depending on if liquid filled or not.
True. The good compromise with lore is that the station habitation modules would be the water-filled areas, which we don’t need to see. Whereas the dock would be a shared communal area.

Andrew

Crux_72
x4

Post by Crux_72 » Sat, 12. Oct 19, 14:50

Solution Boron models in oxygen environment:

The Borons 'sit' or 'stand' on a small floating platform surrounded by an oval force field. The water is kept within the force field. The movement of the boron takes place via the platform. Since the force field emanates from the platform, it moves with the platform - voila, a moving water environment. The existing Boron model only needs to be extended by one platform and the force field. Effort: Low.

Solution Non-Boron in Water Environment

Each non-Boron carries a small force field generator which generates an air bubble around the person. The force field displaces all water in its field of action. In this way, the player's interaction always takes place in the dry, which has no real effect on the gameplay. Boron models without a platform are used here, of course. The existing non- Boron models would only have to be supplemented by a simple force field effect. Effort: Very low

Solution different environments (water / not water)

Assumption: It would only be logical if the Borons set up special landing areas for non- Borons. These can be easily represented by existing assets. Borons that move within these areas use the models described above. Boron areas are reached via the Turbo Lift. When selecting a destination inside the station, the lift is flooded in a short animation and the player's force field is activated. The opposite happens when leaving the area, e.g. to return to the ship. A simple animation would have to be generated for the flooding of the lift. Effort; Low

Solution inside the ship

Basically, a few design features must be defined for Boron ships: First, access must always be through a elevator (as is already the case with L-class ships). Second: The ships are flown standing up, so no chairs. After that each ship can be given the status Boron Off or On. Boron On; The player moves in the force field, Borons are moving free and without platform. Boron Off; The Borons move on their platforms through the ship (hence the standing steering consoles - in this way Borons acting as captains can be embedded more easily). Effort: Not much higher than creating a new ship model anyway.

Implementation and test of my ingenious solution

Can already be implemented in version 3.0 by implementing a single Boron ship as part of the story. A single Boronic Station can also be implemented. Boron models can also be integrated in isolated cases, as with the split models this can also be done in limited variation. In this way, with relatively little effort, feedback can be obtained which can then be used in a future update. Moreover, I think that a Boron station and a Boron ship would be a strong motivator to follow the story, as it actually offers some added value for the player.

What do you think?

What does @Lino think?

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Sat, 12. Oct 19, 15:57

The one thing that keeps cropping up is it will be too hard to do !

My Job is hard to do, yet I do it.

There are lots of things that are hard to do, yet they get dun.
Going the easy rout gives you cheep, rubbish results. Resulting in a non worthy project.
Succeeding with a hard project is not only satisfying, but generates brilliant results.

Any one who says it’s too hard to do, is the wrong person to be talking too.

I am a strong believer in anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Get smart, get going, and introduce the Boron. It;s a game, not reality! So whatever you can imagine can be done.

You just have to get it done.

(. Any one who says it’s too hard to do, is the wrong person to be talking too. )

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 12. Oct 19, 19:52

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Sat, 12. Oct 19, 15:57
The one thing that keeps cropping up is it will be too hard to do !

There are lots of things that are hard to do, yet they get dun.
Going the easy rout gives you cheep, rubbish results. Resulting in a non worthy project.
Succeeding with a hard project is not only satisfying, but generates brilliant results.

Any one who says it’s too hard to do, is the wrong person to be talking too.

I am a strong believer in anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

Get smart, get going, and introduce the Boron. It;s a game, not reality! So whatever you can imagine can be done.

You just have to get it done.

(. Any one who says it’s too hard to do, is the wrong person to be talking too. )
They have to balance how hard it is with the potential reward. There are many hard things they could do in the game, but not all would be worth the effort.

I personally feel that they should just give Boron floating spacesuits, like in the timelines pictures, that would be the easiest way to implement them, yet still be acceptable.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 13. Oct 19, 19:25

The simples solution would be to have "air-filled" ships/stations a galaxy standard.
Therefore Boron ships would also be air filled and Boron would use their water suits.
You can always write that Boron ships can be filled with water for Boron exclusive crews, but for game mechanics it would be easier to stick with air-atmosphere.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sun, 13. Oct 19, 19:54

Nort The Fragrent wrote:
Sat, 12. Oct 19, 15:57
Usually it's not about how hard it is, but how lucrative it is. This game series is still a product despite the love/vision it holds.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 13. Oct 19, 20:06

Entirely water filled ships would be impractical, even for Boron, since filling a ship with water would greatly increase its mass, and thus it would not have nearly as good maneuverability and acceleration. So even for ships intended only for Boron, it would make sense for them to be filled with air instead of water.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sun, 13. Oct 19, 20:24

Falcrack wrote:
Sun, 13. Oct 19, 20:06
Entirely water filled ships would be impractical, even for Boron, since filling a ship with water would greatly increase its mass, and thus it would not have nearly as good maneuverability and acceleration. So even for ships intended only for Boron, it would make sense for them to be filled with air instead of water.
Again, we are talking about a vision that has its origins rooted not only from science but also space magic (eg, platforms almost open to the vacuum of space separated by a thin layer of energy shielding; ships/stations that have artificial gravity, vast installations floating stationary in really low orbit (X-Rebirth OL-Radiant Haven), etc-etc).

What I'm trying to say that Borons living in water-filled stations/ships is the original vision and Egosoft should stick with it and should only trash the concept if it really is impossible to implenet by normal means. However, we might not even get Borons in X4. Do you all remember that they said that there are 2 planned DLCs and none of them introduces the Boron race?

humility925
x4

Post by humility925 » Sat, 26. Oct 19, 02:58

Nah, I think boron ship should filled out water, it's make no sence boron build spaceship filled air that are not design for themself, I think back in back X3 and before that, is why boron spaceship is huge due water filled, and it's do not make slow down at all, after all it's in space, boron's ship often fastest and heavy shield, should be heavest hull than all faction, but not so much on weapon, is why spilt think boron is weak, and coward.

Now I think maybe there is small space fill air for owner or guest who are not boron, but should be most filled water, and I think boron spaceship is most costly of all factions, not because highest hull point, shield, speed but huge filled with water.
Had a compassionate when you able... :)

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Sat, 26. Oct 19, 05:38

Boron ships can be soft bendy and supple. Have moisture membranes, gooey floors and slime. Have a distinctive smell and a dim green tinge.

Hang on a minuet !

It’s a digital game !

Oh ! Gosh !

We can do what ever we can imagine. It’s not real !

So why all the negative, can not be done.

Just do it.

!

The3rdWings

Post by The3rdWings » Sat, 26. Oct 19, 08:53

The problem here is not with the fact that Boron need water.
All alien creatures need their own special atmosphere, humans are the only once to breath the 20\80 oxygen mix, any deviation from this and we die almost instantly. I doubt Teladi or the other races breath the same thing. So lets start by forcing everyone to wear a breathing operatus.

About boron, they dont need a suit, they can use a breathing operatus as well.
About their movement, a special wheel chair can be used, not too difficult to animate or design.
About their ships, they will be filled with gas just like any other ship, and boron will just sit in their wheel chair with their breathing operatus.
Problem solved

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sat, 26. Oct 19, 10:48

The3rdWings wrote:
Sat, 26. Oct 19, 08:53
About their ships, they will be filled with gas just like any other ship, and boron will just sit in their wheel chair with their breathing operatus.
The Boron will build their craft for Boron, where they can swim freely, with controls suited to operation by crustaceans, so whilst bipeds leave floors and ceilings largely clear this would not apply to them. In a Boron world we bipeds are the aliens and their stations are designed for them and only accommodate alien species. This would give the Egosoft's design team some freedoms and challenges.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

The3rdWings

Post by The3rdWings » Sat, 26. Oct 19, 11:08

Terre wrote:
Sat, 26. Oct 19, 10:48
The3rdWings wrote:
Sat, 26. Oct 19, 08:53
The Boron will build their craft for Boron, where they can swim freely, with controls suited to operation by crustaceans, so whilst bipeds leave floors and ceilings largely clear this would not apply to them. In a Boron world we bipeds are the aliens and their stations are designed for them and only accommodate alien species. This would give the Egosoft's design team some freedoms and challenges.
In reality, during war, nations design their machines to work with a universal approach.
That is why many tanks used diesel engines, because that was the fuel that their enemies used. So when captures they could use it for themselves.
There is a war theory saying that during space era, all space and outer-worlds marines will have to train under 1G, so that if needed they will be able to fight on Earth both defensively or as an assault force. Boron war-ships should work the same, if they limit their crew to work under water filled environment, they will limit themselves because they wont be able to capture enemy ships or operate them.

That is why there is this universal approach, which is based on an idea that every empire have to adjust itself into a universal standard of equipment, both environmental and consumable (standards of ammo and rockets, fuel and so on)

Scott C.
x4

Post by Scott C. » Sat, 26. Oct 19, 19:24

Pfft.... Pansy Boron probably would accommodate the non-aquatic races on their own turf. My vote is stick 'em in suits on the air filled vessels and stations.
Fish are for tanks, and calories.
Cheers,
Scott

The3rdWings

Post by The3rdWings » Sun, 27. Oct 19, 21:05

You guys all worried about Boron being unable to use "normal" ships and stations and vice versa,
but completely forget that in this game there is zero realism when it comes to alien races.

1. Only humans can breath earth air, as its made out of 21% oxygen and the rest is nitrogen.
as soon as we enter a place where there is 20% or less percent oxygen, we instantly die

2. Other alien races cant breath the same air as we do because they come from a different environment

3. We are designed to be able to live under 1G, and 1 PSI which is gravity and air pressure and they are specific to Earth,
in any other place we have to be under artificial environment that mimics earth.
Anything less then 1G and our bodies slowly die, anything much higher then 1 PSI and out eardrums implode.

4. Other races come from other planets, bigger or smaller, maybe dancer, so their G requirements and gas PSI are different.

The fact that in this game we can share a station with paranid and teladi walking around normally and without a mask only makes my case,
and my case is, the devs can add baron just normally like any other race, they will breath air and walk around stations

waynetarlton
x4

Post by waynetarlton » Mon, 28. Oct 19, 01:11

linolafett wrote:
Fri, 11. Oct 19, 12:11
That was a clickbait title :(
01000100 01101111 00100000 01110011 01110000 01101100 01101001 01110100 00100000 01100101 01100001 01110100 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101111 01101011 01101001 01100101 01110011 00111111

01111001 01100101 01110011

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Mon, 28. Oct 19, 20:56

IRL filling spacecraft with water would not only be the stupidest idea, it would most likely be extremely hard to move and control such a ship. But in the X universe gravity manipulation is obviously a thing, although even then I would expect that negating the mass of such a huge amount of water would require a lot of energy, that could be spent elsewhere. All in all, I am for water filled spacesuits for the Boron, it makes more sense from every perspective, and is also the easiest solution.

The3rdWings

Post by The3rdWings » Mon, 28. Oct 19, 21:04

Pares wrote:
Mon, 28. Oct 19, 20:56
IRL filling spacecraft with water would not only be the stupidest idea, it would most likely be extremely hard to move and control such a ship. But in the X universe gravity manipulation is obviously a thing, although even then I would expect that negating the mass of such a huge amount of water would require a lot of energy, that could be spent elsewhere. All in all, I am for water filled spacesuits for the Boron, it makes more sense from every perspective, and is also the easiest solution.
Maybe they can implement a special ship design where boron ships are liek special ships, that instead if beeing filled with water, will only have a bubble-like cockpit that will look like a big blue marble on the front side of a normal ship.
You wont be able to pilot them or capture them, but you will be able to buy them with a boron pilot to follow your orders

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 29. Oct 19, 12:48

Maybe they should watch some star trek enterprise and see how the show handles the aquatics during the xindi conflict. They are shown in water on ships etc and how they have enviroments for non marine life on their ships or how the aquatics can go to places other than their ships (other ppls stations).

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Xindi-Aquatic
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Return to “X4: Foundations”