[Question] More Graphic-Settings via Config-File or Mod?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DMI-1407
x4

[Question] More Graphic-Settings via Config-File or Mod?

Post by DMI-1407 » Sun, 13. Oct 19, 20:25

Hi,

is there a way to adjust the graphicsettings more then the GUI shows?
What i am looking for is a way (debug messages or similar) to see if an option takes effect, is ignored or falls back to default because of any hardware related compatibilities.
I'm also wondering why i can't adjust e.g. gamma- or brightness-settings for myself .... i mean there are selectible profiles but i can not create an profile by myself. :gruebel:

Is there a config that i can rewrite or is it possible to access these values via an API or similar?

Greetings
DMI

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [Question] More Graphic-Settings via Config-File or Mod?

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 14. Oct 19, 00:36

DMI-1407 wrote:
Sun, 13. Oct 19, 20:25
I'm also wondering why i can't adjust e.g. gamma- or brightness-settings for myself .... i mean there are selectible profiles but i can not create an profile by myself.
Because gamma adjustment in a game is nonsense to begin with. All displays are sRGB or follow the same gamma like curve as sRGB and brightness is determined by the display panel settings. It was also implemented using the DAC LUT tables which are OS specific.

Some sort of brightness like setting for the HDR would be useful. Especially for people capturing video who want to adjust the displayed dynamic range.

DMI-1407
x4

Post by DMI-1407 » Mon, 14. Oct 19, 23:26

The Game calls it "Color Corrections" (see screenshot) i think these are profiles out of different other configs (satiation, brightness, contrast, color shiftings, etc...).
I wanna know how i can access these settings directly or create my own profile.

Imperial Good, pls don't answer again, all the informations you provide are wrong and your answer doesnt help. :evil:
I dont wanna recommend a new feature, i ask for help. :rant:

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 15. Oct 19, 01:12

DMI-1407 wrote:
Mon, 14. Oct 19, 23:26
Imperial Good, pls don't answer again, all the informations you provide are wrong and your answer doesnt help.
It is not nice saying something is wrong without providing any evidence...
DMI-1407 wrote:
Mon, 14. Oct 19, 23:26
The Game calls it "Color Corrections" (see screenshot) i think these are profiles out of different other configs (satiation, brightness, contrast, color shiftings, etc...).
I wanna know how i can access these settings directly or create my own profile.
The settings are stored in config.xml in your documents folder at a path like Documents\Egosoft\X4\{SOME NUMBER}\config.xml. Those "Colour Correction" profiles are controlled by the setting "<colorcorrection>0</colorcorrection>". It takes a number which must represent an index.

Changing the colour profiles may be possible via mod if they are not each uniquely coded HDR shaders. Otherwise it would not be possible.

If one looks at the file there appears to be a setting for gamma "<gamma>1.00</gamma>". This is the same gamma control you have in game. It works exactly as gamma should work from what I can see. The value seems to be a percentage, so a value of 100 would likely mean 2.2 (close to sRGB). Hence 50 might mean 1.1 and 200 might mean 4.4. This gives you full control over the gamma part of the HDR shader. It also appears gamma is implemented at a shader level rather than the traditional DAC LUTs so will even work in windowed mode. Modifying the config file directly allows out of range values to be entered, for example 9.00 (900%) would make everything appear saturated and start to show numeric overflow artefacts.

Return to “X4: Foundations”