Questions about running factories

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Barnardstar
x4

Questions about running factories

Post by Barnardstar » Mon, 9. Dec 19, 11:07

Sorry if these are answered somewhere, I've tried Google and searched the forums.

1. I can't see a way in-game to see how much it costs my factory to produce a good. X3 used to have a number in brackets next to the sale price, but if it's still there, I can't see it.
2. Is it possible to restrict a station from buying an intermediate ware but still selling it? I have solar power plants on most stations and the result is that I have tonnes of leftovers, but if I uncheck 'restrict trade' I've seen my traders buy e-cells... :gruebel:
3. Is it possible to track the lifetime earnings of factories/auto-miners/auto-traders... I could do it in X3 (probably a mod... sooo many good mods for X3)
4. Is it possible to set up a supply ship to support my stations so that, for example, I have one hub station producing basic resources and ships that then supply those resources to my factories in various sectors but don't trade externally?

Thanks in advance

Overall, I think factory building and management is great. The factory managers tend to do a good job, but it does make factories feel a bit 'fire and forget'. I also think that buy/sell prices should be added to the tab that has the factory funds control. It would keep all the money stuff in one place and make the process a bit less opaque.

zazie
x4

Re: Questions about running factories

Post by zazie » Mon, 9. Dec 19, 11:25

Some of your points are adressed in the "Logical Overview" of your stations (pricing). It is possible to limit the storage space per product/ressource => limitation for e-cell e.g.
If you check "Production" (expand it) under "information" to a specific station you see exactly how many products are needed for one cycle, how long your stock will supply production and what level of productivity is reached.

Knight05

Post by Knight05 » Fri, 13. Dec 19, 21:30

If you want to manually limit buy/sell prices of your factory you have to do it in logistics overview. If you want to do it the fast and simple way for everything you can simply right click the manage funds button over your station and find your manager tab. Below her them will be a box that you can check to restrict trade for other factions. This makes it so EVERYTHING at your factory is either for

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 13. Dec 19, 23:50

Barnardstar wrote:
Mon, 9. Dec 19, 11:07
1. I can't see a way in-game to see how much it costs my factory to produce a good. X3 used to have a number in brackets next to the sale price, but if it's still there, I can't see it.
It does show you the cost. It costs nothing but the wares that get converted into it. There are no labour or process fees.
Barnardstar wrote:
. Is it possible to restrict a station from buying an intermediate ware but still selling it? I have solar power plants on most stations and the result is that I have tonnes of leftovers, but if I uncheck 'restrict trade' I've seen my traders buy e-cells...
Yes, this happens automatically. Once stock of the ware is above the buy limit it will sell the excess.
Barnardstar wrote:
3. Is it possible to track the lifetime earnings of factories/auto-miners/auto-traders... I could do it in X3 (probably a mod... sooo many good mods for X3)
Sadly not. However in the big picture it is unimportant late game.
Barnardstar wrote:
4. Is it possible to set up a supply ship to support my stations so that, for example, I have one hub station producing basic resources and ships that then supply those resources to my factories in various sectors but don't trade externally?
Station trade subordinates can do that automatically as long as the stations are within their trade range.
Last edited by Imperial Good on Sun, 15. Dec 19, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

Barnardstar
x4

Post by Barnardstar » Sat, 14. Dec 19, 13:15

Imperial Good wrote:
Fri, 13. Dec 19, 23:50
Barnardstar wrote:
It does show you the cost. It costs nothing but the wares that get converted into it. There are no labour or process fees.
Barnardstar wrote:
. Is it possible to restrict a station from buying an intermediate ware but still selling it? I have solar power plants on most stations and the result is that I have tonnes of leftovers, but if I uncheck 'restrict trade' I've seen my traders buy e-cells...
Yes, this happens automatically. Once stock of the ware
Barnardstar wrote:
is above the buy limit it will sell the excess.
Sadly not. However in the big picture it is unimportant late game.
Barnardstar wrote:
Station trade subordinates can do that automatically as long as the stations are within their trade range.
That's great! Thanks

fEd0r
x4

Post by fEd0r » Mon, 16. Dec 19, 14:22

Barnardstar wrote:
You can create blacklist for your trading and mining ships to block trading to all factions, therefore they will supply all of your stations (traders - buy from and sell to your stations, miners - sell resources to your stations), so you do not need to assign ships to stations (in-faction auto-traders/miners).
But not sure about the prices - should selling stations selling price be lower than buying station buying price (so the ships will think they are making profitsss)?
However, I think there may be some issues.

Return to “X4: Foundations”