Elements from other games that you want them to be implemented in X games

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Warnoise

Elements from other games that you want them to be implemented in X games

Post by Warnoise » Fri, 24. Jan 20, 02:34

So recently I have put X4 on hold and have played some other 4X space SIMs and there are so many elements that I found would be so cool to see them in X.

Faction Commitment : Basically, some ranks within factions should only be unlocked when you join it. By joining it, you will be enemies with said faction enemies but in exchange you will get discounted products, access to high tier weapons/ships and even get a monthly salary (which increases by doing war missions for that faction!).

Bounties and Bounty hunters: It would be great if factions put bounties on enemies who cause them lots of trouble and make bounty hunters attack them. Bounty hunters should be running big squads of fast S/M ships with occasional L ships.

Pirate Raid fleet: In X pirates are basically placeholder. When I played Starsector, I was like "this is how you make pirates". Now Stations are money making machines that literally have 0 drawbacks. Only the initial investment is needed. I know now there are pirates who steal cargo. But I wish there are Pirate raiding parties that specifically attack stations and trading ships, the attacks get stronger the longer the game is.

Unique ships: There should be unique ships that can be obtainable via special methods. That gives a strong feeling of accomplishment.

Player faction: Once a player owns a sector, he basically created a player faction. Allied factions will build their stations in player sector and the player will receive a "rent" fee. Of course player can set the rule of whether other factions are allowed to build or what wares are legal and whatnot.

It would be great to hear about what elements you found in other games that you would like to see in X(5?)

wasted90
x4

Re: Elements from other games that you want them to be implemented in X games

Post by wasted90 » Fri, 24. Jan 20, 03:31

x4 is not 4x.

of course you are free to play it like an 4x by the means the game (+ mods) offers you. the x games are meant to find your own goals in the game.
rank penalties would act as a restriction of freedom for people who play the game for other reasons/ with other goals than you.

unique ships where often rewards for story-plots in the previous games. egosoft is working on missions and story for dlc and 3.0, so i hope unique ships come back at this point, too.

egosoft stated that with 3.0 players shall become more powerfull in terms of becoming their own factions. some features regarding this are already part of the 3.0 beta, but i don't know how deep egosoft is going into this.

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Fri, 24. Jan 20, 04:04

Assigning ship groups to hotkeys and using said hotkeys to select assigned groups and order them around, just like in any real time strategy game.
Example : Mark 3 units, press CTRL+1 to assign them as quickselect group 1. Now whenever you press 1 you select these 3 units and can give them commands.

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Fri, 24. Jan 20, 05:16

wasted90 wrote:
Fri, 24. Jan 20, 03:31
x4 is not 4x.

of course you are free to play it like an 4x by the means the game (+ mods) offers you. the x games are meant to find your own goals in the game.
rank penalties would act as a restriction of freedom for people who play the game for other reasons/ with other goals than you.

unique ships where often rewards for story-plots in the previous games. egosoft is working on missions and story for dlc and 3.0, so i hope unique ships come back at this point, too.

egosoft stated that with 3.0 players shall become more powerfull in terms of becoming their own factions. some features regarding this are already part of the 3.0 beta, but i don't know how deep egosoft is going into this.
X4 has literally all the elements of a 4x game. I don't need mods for that. I think it is correct to call it a 4X game.

I think people got vocal about the fact that you can befriend all factions with no repercussions. That doesn't only make the game too easy, also it makes it the ultimate choice(the player has 0 reason to go to war with any faction). A good game gives the players multiple choices each with benefits and drawbacks. That will not only make the game replayability more interesting, it will also give the player a challenging experience. Currently every game is literally the same. Buy your first M ship, buy traders, build a smart ship station or some other ship production ware, buy L ship, and from there trade your way up building shipyard and swim in money. And that's it. That is literally every single game (especially when there is no diplomacy in the game).

After playing Starsector, i realized how much X is lacking in sandbox features...

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 24. Jan 20, 09:55

While Starsector has it's own moments - it is far away from the immersion X4 has to offer. To me, Starsector is a game - X4 is a place where I can dive into a living, breathing universe.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 01:50

chew-ie wrote:
Fri, 24. Jan 20, 09:55
While Starsector has it's own moments - it is far away from the immersion X4 has to offer. To me, Starsector is a game - X4 is a place where I can dive into a living, breathing universe.
From The way you talk I think you have never played Starsector. That game blows X out of the water in terms of breathing/living world experience.

Let's not talk about living/breathing universe when we don't even have diplomacy please....

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 03:55

I loved the diplomacy in Alpha Centauri and hope they can cause factions to pick fights with you for perceived threats and remember betrayals of them/others, etc. in X4.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 05:20

Warnoise wrote:
Tue, 28. Jan 20, 01:50
chew-ie wrote:
Fri, 24. Jan 20, 09:55
From The way you talk I think you have never played Starsector. That game blows X out of the water in terms of breathing/living world experience.

Let's not talk about living/breathing universe when we don't even have diplomacy please....
Okay let it put me this way: Starsector has it's moments. But the representation is far away from the immersion X4 has to offer. The first one is rpgish done in an arcade style, the latter is a full blown 3D universe where I can dive into 3D space. Thus X4 is - to me - a living, breathing universe.

Also, this isn't the competition you make it to be. I just like X4 better - that doesn't imply that I don't play other space games.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 10:15

Eve Online -> Armour/Hull tanking. So putting non regenerative armour plating on your ship and having repair modules that will fix your hull/plates on the go.

Several Space RTS games -> Diplomacy...but we already know that this is coming.

Homeworld -> Motherships. A gigantic ship with capabilities of production for smaller vessels/mobile resource refining

Homeworld -> Proper ability to use 3rd dimension in the tactical overview to start attacks from "above" or "below". It's a bit too crude/non-functional in X as is.

Freelancer -> More "fantastical" sectors. X seems to be afraid of sectors that have...well...color and more bizarre shapes. We have those long rocks in some sectors, sure...but look at what Freelancer did there. You had those formations as well but you never felt safe there because they had tons of space dust/debris block your vision/sensors.
You also had sectors utilizing blue-ish/red-ish stars and freaky planetoids with crystalline structures yadda yadda.
In theory such things can even exist in our universe...so why not use a bit more of the color palette?

Plenty of Space games: Wonky stuff to find that actually makes exploration worthwile. Rare aliens, Rare resources, special ruins/artifacts. Some games also had super rare enemies that could drop even more rare weapons/gear that could change the way fighting/flying around even feels.

Zaemar2017
x4

Post by Zaemar2017 » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 12:03

I don't know about other games, but certainly elements from other X games.

X4 doesn't feel very spacey with its 2d whole world view or the fact that it has the same supply and demand issues across the entire game universe! I've been almost exclusively playing Rebirth for the last couple of weeks and it actually feels like you are travelling somewhere across space and galactic regions.
Added to that is all the unfriendly/pirate factions attacking everything and they also have ships worth boarding and capturing as well. That and exploring Torride is/was the most fun I've had for a while
I just returned to X4 with beta 5 and started yet another game and it feels dead, dull and boring. X4 needs actual content and variety sooner rather than later.
Last edited by Zaemar2017 on Tue, 28. Jan 20, 14:28, edited 2 times in total.

Wehrwolf_10
x4

Post by Wehrwolf_10 » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 12:23

Zaemar2017 wrote:
Tue, 28. Jan 20, 12:03
That and exploring Torride is/was the most fun I've had for a while
Torride, as for me, is the best system, it can take many hours to explore it. When you build a station there, the feeling of threat from the depths of space does not leave.

phrozen1
x4

Post by phrozen1 » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 13:11

Warnoise wrote:
Fri, 24. Jan 20, 02:34
Faction Commitment : Basically, some ranks within factions should only be unlocked when you join it. By joining it, you will be enemies with said faction enemies but in exchange you will get discounted products, access to high tier weapons/ships and even get a monthly salary (which increases by doing war missions for that faction!).

Bounties and Bounty hunters: It would be great if factions put bounties on enemies who cause them lots of trouble and make bounty hunters attack them. Bounty hunters should be running big squads of fast S/M ships with occasional L ships.

Pirate Raid fleet: In X pirates are basically placeholder. When I played Starsector, I was like "this is how you make pirates". Now Stations are money making machines that literally have 0 drawbacks. Only the initial investment is needed. I know now there are pirates who steal cargo. But I wish there are Pirate raiding parties that specifically attack stations and trading ships, the attacks get stronger the longer the game is.

Unique ships: There should be unique ships that can be obtainable via special methods. That gives a strong feeling of accomplishment.

Player faction: Once a player owns a sector, he basically created a player faction. Allied factions will build their stations in player sector and the player will receive a "rent" fee. Of course player can set the rule of whether other factions are allowed to build or what wares are legal and whatnot.
I would love to see exactly those things in X4 too.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 20:50

- Power management (trading firepower for speed or shields, for example).
- Actual pirate raids that were already mentioned
- Actual trade deals (lasting)
- Personal wing controls
- Challenge

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 21:59

- ability to target and shoot down torpedos like in Freespace 2 and Starlancer
- XL battleships like in X-Rebirth
- actual pirates like in X3 (with their own ship types, regions and stations)
- some kind of late game menace, like big Xenon invasion (like in Stellaris)
- actually working ambient sountrack (like in the previous X-games - X4 music logic sux)
- working station bar area (like in Freelancer)
- unique HQ interiors (I hoped for something like Mass Effect Normandy...not Boron in'a Jar in'a generic room).

ballti
x4

Post by ballti » Tue, 28. Jan 20, 23:23

- fixing some gate for access to hidden sectors
- "terraforming"/cleaning sector in to habitat state
- dedicated factory (terraforming, missile, gate reaparing..)
- marine school
- boardable mission ships (extra marines)
- special rare ships
- reverse engineering for ships BP
- tournament sector whit special loot, every time harder (money sink)
- a lot more material sink via plot
- dont do shallow repetitive gameplay, whit only hi first impresson
Wargasm

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Wed, 29. Jan 20, 00:41

ballti wrote:
Tue, 28. Jan 20, 23:23
What do you mean?

ballti
x4

Post by ballti » Wed, 29. Jan 20, 00:57

radcapricorn wrote:
Wed, 29. Jan 20, 00:41
ballti wrote:
Tue, 28. Jan 20, 23:23
What do you mean?
Like old school in X3, boarding instead of killing mission ship give you few decent marines.
Wargasm

Return to “X4: Foundations”