Feedback on the latest XLOG (#3)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Outliver
x4

Feedback on the latest XLOG (#3)

Post by Outliver » Fri, 24. Jan 20, 20:20

I feel the need to say something about the latest XLOG (#3), but it's probably going to be too much for the format of a YouTube comment.

So, absolutely! I totally second the whole simulation thing. Please never change that philosophy! :)
I love that chaotic system because that is how the world works. This is actual simulation. And it really is part of what makes an X game.
Also, it is just what every coder nerd, such as myself, loves to do anyway, which in turn is why the game is so great and, I think, why you guys are able to pour so much heart and soul into it. At least, I would die to try out some "what ifs" to see how it plays out, if I were one of your devs :D

Although, technically, on a side note and if I may stimulate a discussion, I think, depending on the definition, top-down could also work in a sense that factions would act more like actual factions with their own goals and behaviors, rather than being a loose bunch of agents.
So you would have a tree in the form of "faction » station » subordinate" (simplified) or maybe also even "faction » subordinate".
Individual actors could still have their own set of rules, though. Example would be, the faction needs hull parts fast and thus sends out the most suitable pilot to get some. But then that pilot is being attacked and therefore cancels their mission which would lead to the faction re-assigning the job to another pilot.
Or maybe, they need to trade something but need to pass a dangerous sector of an opposing faction. Then they would pick a skilled pilot in a well-armored vehicle.
Also, that way, you could tell a Paranid from an Argon by their behavior alone. They could be more aggressive, for instance or have different dialog options. Maybe they're less helpful or more religious. It would probably also be easier to implement story missions and the like.
Economy-wise, it wouldn't make too much difference overall. But from a development perspective, I think, it would be much more manageable in terms of debugging and also implementing new jobs for the agents. Even though, this would call for the implementation of some priority system on each individual level of said tree. I think both approaches have their pros and cons.
But, yeah, that's just a thought.

By the way, when talking technology already, may I ask, do you guys use doubles in your engine or, if not, how did you overcome the floating point precision issue?
If you don't want to answer that, that's alright, I understand that. You won't lose a fan :D

I have one more question about the second part that makes an X game (at least for me).
Can you tell us anything about the story that's to come. I don't mean content-wise, because, obviously, I don't want to have all the fun spoiled.
But maybe how it's going to work and how much of a story we can expect (maybe in terms of playtime?).

Lastly, thanks for giving away some of the alpha footage. Really loved what I saw there in video :)

Thanks guys, keep on rockin'! :)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Feedback on the latest XLOG (#3)

Post by CBJ » Fri, 24. Jan 20, 20:33

Outliver wrote:
Fri, 24. Jan 20, 20:20
By the way, when talking technology already, may I ask, do you guys use doubles in your engine or, if not, how did you overcome the floating point precision issue?
If you don't want to answer that, that's alright, I understand that. You won't lose a fan :D
I can answer this, at least partially. We use different coordinate spaces at different levels. This means that for objects close to the player, we have all the precision we need without having to allow for coordinate values that are capable of spanning the entire galaxy. Of course when you make calculations do that span a much longer distance, such as that between one person on one small ship at one end of the galaxy and another person on another small ship at the other end of it, you lose some precision, but in those situations you don't actually need it.

Outliver
x4

Post by Outliver » Fri, 24. Jan 20, 20:40

thanks so much :)

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Fri, 24. Jan 20, 21:38

Outliver wrote:
Fri, 24. Jan 20, 20:20
I totally second the whole simulation thing. Please never change that philosophy! :)
Indeed. Apart from the Sci-fi setting, this is what makes the X titles truly special. X4 is a great leap ahead and surpasses the former titles in this regard, no doubt. Simply put - there's nothing like it.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Return to “X4: Foundations”