Bug reporting.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Guffrus
x3ap

Bug reporting.

Post by Guffrus » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 07:21

The radar is broken, the disc shows flat as far as the system is concerned but it should be showing flat reletive to my ship so that i can see where other things are in relation to me.

Eclipse Vanguard cockpit: Crew member / space walk control tube is positioned too close to the pilot seat and causes the player to get stuck, shift D is the ghetto fix you presumably implimented to prevent this god awful mistake from being game breakingly bad but it still needs fixing.

Auto pilot cannot cope with highways, i think what it is doing is leaving at the right place but then not leaving enough space to drive around it and then it accidentally rejoins the loop and it then doesnt care that it will now presumably have to drive all the way back around the loop to have another go at which point there is no reason to believe it will do a better job of exiting anyway and may well get stuck in the loop forever. Untested but frequently encountered. Not 100% sure of cause but auto pilot path finding is pretty bad generally and needs to be looked at and improved where ever possible.

I sometimes get stuck in the station lift, or rather locked out of it, this has happened twice after visiting traders and then not being able to get out, restarting the game fixes it but thats obviously annoying and time consuming.

Load times are long.

Save times are long.

UI is awful. Main complaints are that it took me forever to learn how to input commands because i didnt think of right clicking in empty space and im fairly sure i was never told that either, i learnt this from the internet. I wonder if this is more intuitive if you are on a console, the controls are clearly an attempt to function with pc and consoles.
There is a bug, i dont know what causes it but when it happens its like my LMB is stuck down and the map scrolls around following the cursor, i have only been able to get it to go away by reloading / restarting. I clicked everything i could think of, nothing helped but coming out of the map and going back into the map will remove it until you click but then it will be back, i think.
Redefining keys often does not work.

I wanted to switch W, S and mouse scroll wheel functions around but it wouldnt let me do it, i could set the keys to throttle but mouse wheel was hard coded and could neither be deleted (it showed it was deleted but it wasnt) nor reassigned.
I also had a problem when i tried to delete open options, i deleted all including esc by mistake which i wanted to keep but having done so i could not put it back and i had to reset to default and start over.

Option to move in map should have been enabled by default imo or more attention brought to it so that i could select a preference, that was very frustrating until i got it set up.

There is general lack of information about what does what, build chains etc and everything in the encyclopedia has been arranged by someone who literally hates their customers and wants to make their lives miserable. Ships are bundled together in huge lists than make no sense at all. Its the same with weapon stats etc, its very hard to see what the strengths and weaknesses of different weapons are or why i would want to choose one over another and I am a 20+ year veteran of this sort of thing. No information on anything.

What is all this garbage in my personal inventory for? Im pretty sure its important so I just buy it now, its very cheap and i dont seem to have an inventory limit, yet? Dont put one in btw, thats the only saving grace about that whole ordeal that i can just through a few million at that and hopefully the later problem of not having a whatever will not arise, but i dont care about any of it, its just a headache. Some of it is to do with hacking but i think i would rather be using some sort of skill or permenant tool for that than a consumable but i havent gotten into that yet so maybe its ok. (the crafting bench explains some of it, thats something, god help us if that were secret, dont ever make that inaccessible, it needs to be more accessible than it already is if anything.)

Its never clear on missions if i am building stuff for someone else or if i am going to keep the thing afterwards, also things like delivering crew, that is needlessly hard to do, there is an awful lot of fiddly menu stuff which i hope will be replaced by something more streamlined. Its probably something to do with consoles but its god awful on the pc.

Im not quite happy with the boost using shield and the go faster whatever thing taking so much time to get going. I might get used to the fast travel thing in time, i think the issue i have with it might be linked to auto pilots inability to goto things that are close, it keep engaging warp drive and then realising it doesnt know where the hell its going and turning itself off, it could have just turned and done there at regular speed. The boost thing, i think it just uses too much shield.

I am concerned that i will get buffed everything as the game goes on and i unlock whatever with drops and such like which will be a balancing nightmare and essentially mean that the game definitely wont work at some point in terms of difficulty. I would much rather have little or no upgrades and a balanced game than something where i power up to the point where there is nothing to fight.

Missiles are broken, you dont get extra ammo when you add another launcher and i dont trust the AI to reload its ammo. Maybe supply ships deal with this but they are much later in the game by which point i will probably have accepted that i cant use missiles. I am fairly certain that missiles are going to be a total nightmare for me later which kill me constantly or force me to run extremely limited build types as i must always account for missile counters while the computer enjoys using them to great effect not caring if it dies or runs out of ammo because it is only having one fight in which it dies. Another concern is that even if i did give my ships missiles and i was able to reload them that they would just unload an entire fleets worth of missiles at the first guy and have no missiles left for anything else. Its not fair for me to say this early because i dont really know but i have heard similar noises on the internet saying its all broken and dont bother as well as having had bad experiences in similar games. Take a look at Mech Warrior Online for missile and Anti Missile system functionality perhaps. You cant just make it like Top Gun because if you do that becomes a pay to win mechanism which is still bad even when its not real money, if you have missiles you win etc.

Anyway thats enough about my fears regarding missiles i am supposed to be telling you about bugs, so..

Oh, this a bug either but i am concerned that i will never be able to make a station like the ones i have seen because i am not going to be given the big hanger type docks. I hope you will include that if its not already and make sure that the station building is all it can be.

Pilot skill progression etc is broken or too slow or just garbage? Really dont like the way that everything is locked behind a grindwall, making money is already pointless, does it also have to be needlessly difficult and unsatisfying too?

Really dont like the way everything is so dumbed down, all the colour has been washed out of the game, previous series we inaccessibily complicated but at least they had depth, you have thrown the baby out with the bath water, the depth was a good thing, you want to keep that and then make that useable, accessible, meaningful and enjoyable. Listen to the developer philosophy of Starcraft : If something does not have a signifcant and meaningful reason to be in the game then it should be there; for example there should not 6 or 10 different types of builder ship which all have as near as makes no difference the same stats and the same model and the same role, its just nonsense, scale it back to 1 type or make there be a reason why there is more than 1, something more interesting hopefully than this is what you get when you are a noob and then you have this other thing later, thats boring but it would still be a million times better than the garbage we have right now. Apply that same philosophy to everything. Why do the races all have very slightly different versions of the same thing? It makes no sense, if you look at the real world its not like that, we get a our cars from Germany, our bananas from Africa, our tech from Korea and our burgers from America. I dont actually mind that much about this, i just wish i could see and understand the differences easily, it shouldnt be another ordeal trying to choose what thing is best - there is a lot of that going on in this game, everything is such a ball ache.

Oh fleet control and commands.. i had a ship with me, he is my wingman and we got attacked, sort of, it was nothing really i just drove on but not him, he decided he was going to stop for no reason at all and die in a 4 vs 1, wtf? Do you think that my wingman could let me, the human, the player, make the call about whether or not we are going to engage? and no telling me that there might be some sort of setting in a global command or something doesnt help because im pretty sure i didnt have it set to attack and in anycase i told him as fast as the god awful interface would let me to ignore them and move on but he didnt listen. They never listen, my bodyguards are never even in the same zone as me because they travel everywhere at 200mps instead of using their warp drive, again the autopilot is garabge and it matters that its broken.

Sorry for ranting and getting side tracked there are other bugs i wanted to talk about but i cant recall them now, i sincerely hope you will address the problems with this game, there are a lot and its not ok, most of this stuff should never have seen release never mind 18 months in gold a massive price tag and dlc etc. Fix the damn bugs first.

QUALITY OF LIFE, PLEASE.

Guffrus

Jesus christ you didnt just log me out while i was posting this...

I might have lost everything.

Fortunately firefox make better software than you, for free.

Guffrus
x3ap

Re: Bug reporting.

Post by Guffrus » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 16:14

Crew unable to find seat in Cerberus, just standing around in the cockpit like a lost sheep. (not the pilot, an extra guy who should be in the 3rd seat, i say 3rd because i am pretty sure there is a guy in the 2nd seat ok.

Also on Cerberus i was returning to airlock having repaired a docked small fighter and there was a crew member randomly standing on top of the Cerberus without a space suit on, not sure why they get to survive deep space without a hat on but i have to get all dressed up?

Pathing bug on scene setting back ground traffic at station, sorry i dont remember which one, an Argon station i think, probably the big shipyard in prime? not sure, in any case most of the traffic in a line was fine but one ship decided it wanted to drive through the middle of the exit point so it ungracefully flipped and jumped around trying to do that before flying downwards like the other ships.

No hot key for add target to auto pilot destination.

There is also a general problem with target limitations and ranges and having to use the map to set a destination even though i only want to do a quick course correction and i probably wouldnt even be using the auto pilot if the radar worked. Look at 'Astrox Imperium' this little indie title handles this stuff better than you, for shame.

Auto pilot will not take me to a hostile station, if i die when i get there thats my problem, give me a warning if you like with the option to disable said warning but take me where i told you to goto.

The control of ships in my fleet is awful, as is their status, i should have an option for displaying current health and shield status for all ships which is selectable to allow me to set course to help them if they are in trouble etc. I should also be able to issue commands on the fly not just to my fleet mates but to an entire army, dozens of wings with a quick chat type interface, x, x, 6, y, z etc. orders, otherwing, 6, capital ships with low or offline shields, disable engines. That sort of thing. There is no reason what so ever why i shouldnt be able to command an army whilst also flying a ship of my own which brings me to my next point.

I should be able to automate the ship that i am currently flying, perhaps i can do this by leaving the chair? i havent tried that but it would be nice if i didnt have to mess around doing that assuming that is possible. Also there should be an option to protect ship that i am flying so that it doesnt matter which ship i happen to be in my bodyguys who are never anywhere near me as mentioned previously will at least be trying to get to me when i change ship without me having to spend 5 minutes in a god awful control interface telling each ship one by one to defend the new ship that i am now flying for 5 minutes before changing it back again. thats really annoying.

(I could possibly be just changing the order for a fleet? not sure i am new to the fleet controls and have been doubling up on orders probably with default orders and fleet merging etc also and i dont know how i should be going about this because there is no information about how any of this stuff works, neither in game nor online even and i shouldnt be having to go online to learn from other players how to play your game, its your job to communicate to me how all this stuff works.)

What the hell do the different default behaviours do?

No one knows that either.

I am talking about trading, obviously, not fly to place though speaking of fly to place, waiting should be optional and indicated with the use of an additional control key such as shift click. Though in fairness i might not be issuing commands to fly to a place and then return to default behaviour if my wingmen could fly their ships, i am doing this atm because they dont use their warp drives.

Guffrus
x3ap

Post by Guffrus » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 21:04

Bugs in the ship builder / shop:

Module icons are not hidden properly when rotating the the ship so it is not clear where they are mounted, sometimes it works properly but not always.

When adding modules to sections where it is a weapon group multiple weapons of the same type cannot be selected to stack on top of each other with the normal interface you have to use the quantity arrow which is annoying, also it would be better if the picture of the weapon could be clicked on an rotated and a looping clip of the weapon being fired would be helpful.

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 21:16

Guffrus wrote:
Fri, 3. Apr 20, 07:21
I hate to bring the bad news, but I must.

You've mistook the game. What you are describing has nothing to do with "X: Rebirth". Please, post in the appropriate forum threads.
For general feedback: viewforum.php?f=146
For bug reports: viewforum.php?f=180

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Fri, 3. Apr 20, 21:42

You've confused quite a few "don't likes" with bugs there. That you don't like something doesn't make it a bug. Still, many of your points are quite valid.

Guffrus
x3ap

Post by Guffrus » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 04:50

Thanks, yes i am aware of my mistake and have already requested that the thread be moved to the right place.

I am also aware and explictly stated / acknowledge that i got side tracked and not everything i was saying was a bug report.

Guffrus
x3ap

Post by Guffrus » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 04:53

So i can automate the ship i am on, aslong as i am not piloting it, which is great though it would be better if and i have already touched on this already in part, that A the crew member replacing me were able to actually find their way to the pilots seat and sit down and B some provision had been made for me to sit some where as a passenger.

Guffrus
x3ap

Post by Guffrus » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 06:25

So, the way that turrets function is totally stuipid, assuming it works as described.

I cant believe you are still doing this.

Targeting should be a priority system not a binary system, i.e. if i put a flak turret on my ship and tell it to shoot missiles down it should also fire on ships when it is not shooting down missiles.

Honestly its like you made the parts of the game which should be technical dumbed down (all the sofrware etc is basically meaningless its just lipservice to deep previous games) and the bits that should be dumb and exciting like fighter action are tedious and technical, like how many flares do you have in your cargo bay etc.

I dont give a rats ass how many flares i have though it should definitely be more than 4 and it should fire on its own.

Have you ever seen real flares? They are super cool eye candy.

With missiles what you were aiming for was a gaming experience where i feel like i am in the movie Top Gun trying to avoid having my goose cooked. Missile lock tones, flying like a nut (that means boosting btw, which you clearly cant do here because A it only last 2 seconds, B it doesnt really do anything unless you are trying to maneover around a station or maybe close to weapons range and C it drops your shields almost instantly.)

What we wanted was:

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

Crap!

Chuff chuff chuff chuff chuff

Swooooooosh!

I have you now..

What?

Yaaaaahooo!

What we got was:

Sorry you just lost a 4.5 million monies investment because you cheaped on the flares.

Yeah apparently you didnt check box c in paragraph 12.4 countermeasures and or you didnt press a button to release the flares on one tiny fighter in the swarm of an entire races space fleet.

However if you would like to instruct the manager of your ship yards to make sure there are always x amount of ships patrolling in the following systems you probably cant do that in an automated way, you probably have to keep track of that yourself and order them one at a time..

Guffrus
x3ap

Post by Guffrus » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 06:59

Behemoth vanguard destroyer.

Looks pretty cool to begin with but it doesnt stand up to scrutiny. The weapons are all in groups which are split side to side not front to back, why does this matter? Well because when i am designing and equipping a ship i like it to be symetrical for the most part, asymetry is only ok when its cool, like having one freakishly big arm that you beat people with, like an Orc Warboss's power claw arm, thats the good kind. What we have here is the bad kind. Already annoyed by the turret AI i look to see what i am going to put on this thing, well the behemoth only special weapon was nice to see, but then it was watered down by having 2 of them, 2 isnt twice as good, its half the value, but you did that so that i can fire it myself out of the front of my ship rather than it being that sick bottom turret mounting... oh there are 2 large size turret mountings. Ok, thats still sweet, i can live with this. They are going to have to be beams though because they are hit scan weapons and nothing else has the projectile velocity to hit anything moving at those distances but there is enough turret rotation that that might track something small at longer ranges.

Pulse lasers are garbage, they look like the best weapon from a certain perspective, ol' relible churning out steady damage that may well hit something, except that that wont be the case, if they were able to put out any damage you wouldnt use anything else so they are going to be yeah ok you are shooting me, fine i dont care, not scary.

So bolters or flak it is then, i will go with a mix of the 2, i might use pulse still but probably not.

So flak at the back and bolters at the front.. except i cant do that.

Now i have to have them top or bottom which i obviously dont want, why would i want all my missile defence on one side and all my fighter defence on the other side?

I guess i could say well i will only run flak on this type of ship and it can be on all slots and then it can defend other ships in the wing from missiles, except that idea doesnt work either because they arent long enough range for that.

Ok so i will have Cerberus do that then, i will forget missile defence completely and i will just take bolters or pulse lasers, or maybe even beams all round and if i go beams then i guess i will switch the large beams for something else so its not all the same.

But meh.

That was a deeply unsatisfying design experience, i basically have litle to no choices all the colour seems washed out of it.

Guffrus
x3ap

Post by Guffrus » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 20:49

Just got killed, i wasnt really paying much attention, in fairness i was roaming around without any back up etc so i am not complaining about the death or the risk.

What i am going to complain about is the total inability for me to plot and execute an escape.

To start with i wasnt flying, the pilot was but they didnt seem to be listening / i didnt trust them to do anything in the limited time frame because they are such pedants about whether something is a fly to or a auto pilot type destination and then you have to call them up on the phone even though they are standing right next to you saying hello hello hello all the time.

So i tried to plot a course and what happens? I am told that i cant plot a course because i am not the group leader.

Jesus tap dancing christ.

I DONT CARE ABOUT ANYTHING LIKE THAT RIGHT NOW GOD DAMMIT I WANT AN ESCAPE COURSE AND WARP SPEED RIGHT NOW!

Seriously the most dangerous and challenging foe in this game is the god dam interface.

Guffrus
x3ap

Post by Guffrus » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 21:27

So i just reloaded and had that same fight which i was ready for this time i killed one and half killed another and thought this would be a good time to try to get used to using my controller, it was ok for a while though i sucked at using it, i was having trouble finding my fire buttons but thats a problem with my controller, it doesnt have triggers.

So i went back to the mouse as i didnt want to get killed but oh dear, now i cant fire my weapons with the mouse controls.

Great

More dam bugs with the controls, even stuff that was previously working breaks.

This is just rediculous, youve been making this game for how long?

10 years?

20?

Its just not good enough.

Guffrus
x3ap

Post by Guffrus » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 00:30

OMG

More bugs, literally everything i try to do in this game is bugged.

So when adding turrets and shields to an existing station defence defence module those modules are destroyed and then rebuilt from the ground up for no reason what so ever.

I should only be paying the time and resources to add the new equipment not paying to remake the whole thing, thats stupid.

Guffrus
x3ap

Post by Guffrus » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 00:43

and then it crashed..

The program just disappeared.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 00:45

Minor suggestion from my side: you could rename your thread to "Pointless ranting & venting steam".

Carry on then, hope it helps.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

StoneLegionYT
x4

Post by StoneLegionYT » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 00:48

This is not bug reporting this is just plain and simple bitching. Not even well thought out either.

The game saving is always going be more tricky and honestly it's what 5 seconds? it's 250mb uncompressed world and grows from there.

Guffrus
x3ap

Post by Guffrus » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 01:04

Please feel free not to read or contribute to the thread, i truly could not care less what you think.

If you have a different idea then make your own thread, you arent welcome here.

Guffrus
x3ap

Post by Guffrus » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 01:19

I am getting the impression that there is going to be an endless stream of degenerates who want to chime in with their nonsense so let me try to preempt the rest of you by saying that this thread is both bug reporting and my own feedback on the game as i go, so the developer can understand what is happening for their customers and use that information to make the game better for everyone.

Please do not reply to this thread, its not for you, its nothing to do with you and i dont care what you think.

So please go away and mind your own business.

Thank you.

Guffrus
x3ap

Post by Guffrus » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 01:47

So Im not quite sure what has gone on with this station building cost problem.

The builder certainly seems to have dismantled the entire module and then rebuilt it instead of just adding the pieces and when that happened i was billed again i would imagine the full cost of building it but i think it might only have been temporary. Im not sure i actually had to pay the money in the end. I think what happened was that the ingredients were returned to my stores and then used again so its not so much an I am being charged too much problem its an i am being given bad information problem.

Also worth noting though is that the energy cells were returned to me and while in this circumstance that is correct because i guess in the 'real world' of the game the module hasnt been dismantled you are probably doing that for some coding reason and replacing it with a new module with a different specification instead of changing the existing one for whatever reason. Now i dont know enough about programming to know if thats the right thing to do on the back end or not and as a player i dont care it makes no difference to me how you achieve that SO LONG AS I am being given information which makes sense to me at the front end. I shouldnt be getting feedback from the game that the module is being dismantled and rebuilt because the illusion you are supposed to be creating is that the turrets are just being added.

But about the energy cells, what i wanted to say about that and i appreciate that i dont know how it works and maybe you thought of this already and its not a problem but if i were actually dismantling that module and then rebuilding it somewhere else in that scenario i should not be getting back the energy cells, in anything i should be paying more cells both to dismantle it and then remake it.

Another thing about buidling which is not clear to me is how much i am paying to have the station built, it seems to be free but that doesnt seem right, at least i am not paying for it when i am assigning the builder but there seems to be a non resources related cost in the gathering phase, is that how the builder gets their cut?

Guffrus
x3ap

Post by Guffrus » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 07:30

Just tried to change a large trade ship from trader supply building at the grand exchange station which you are given to a regular trade group with the left box controls in the map screen and it crashed that interface, that is now locked and sort of flashing and spazing out, i am able to exit map and do other things normally i think, i didnt try doing much but the problem seems localised to that information box.

Having alt tabbed out of the game and back in it was completely broken i had to restart steam to get back into the game.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 11:48

Please note my forum moderator title before you reply hastily. This is a public forum and you do not decide who posts or not in your thread. If other people break the forum rules then a moderator will step in on behalf of yourself and/or the forum. On that note, please do not insult other posters or that can get the thread locked just in itself.

Just some further practical advice, the devs do not tend to even read threads like this. They do not have the time or inclination to read or follow long multi-topic threads covering different dev areas and are probably further deterred by unnecessary disparaging remarks about their work. Feedback needs to be concise and dispassionate, whereas bug reports need to be in the Tech Sp forum with a single topic per thread that is clearly identified in the thread title and each backed by supporting information with ideally a link to a vanilla save showing the issue so allowing the devs to quickly replicate it on their systems.

I hope that helps.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations”