Is Dal Busta supposed to be a sarcastic a***ole?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Is Dal Busta supposed to be a sarcastic a***ole?

Post by Tamina » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 13:08

Despite Egosoft being a German developer, the story was originally written and voiced in English. One of the translaters told me, that - in his opinnion - the voice actors are terrible because: In the German voice over of Dal Busta, especially when he is talking with and about the Paranids, Dal has this cold-hearted sarcastic undertone to it. I personally liked that a lot, and had to laugh at many different conversation bits.

That begs the question, is this "bad" or rather creative voice acting or intentional? How is Dal Busta in the original English version?

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

csaba
x4

Re: Is Dal Busta supposed to be a sarcastic a***ole?

Post by csaba » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 13:20

Dal is okay in English the HAT lady is the one that leaves you with a cringe overload every time she speaks.

You're character standing there frozen for some of the clips doesn't help. At least give it an idle animation, cross arms, tap feet etc. these are already in the game...

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 13:25

I didn't get that impression of him (yet) but generally English voice acting in this game (and Rebirth) sounds to me as if the people doing the voices weren't given enough details to decide how they should say things.
***modified***

Matthew94
xr

Post by Matthew94 » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 13:47

csaba wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 13:20
Dal is okay in English the HAT lady is the one that leaves you with a cringe overload every time she speaks.

Is it just me or is the voice actress the same one who voiced Yisha in X Rebirth?

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 14:30

Matthew94 wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 13:47
Is it just me or is the voice actress the same one who voiced Yisha in X Rebirth?
Maybe, if she unlearned English since then. Whoever she is, everything she did for X4 is... let's just say, not very good. Starting with atrocious reading of the intro, with horrendous mistakes and mispronunciations ("rekt tee kay are", seriously...), continuing into other female Split lines, ending with bland detached reading of Reem's lines.
Tamina wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 13:08
That begs the question, is this "bad" or rather creative voice acting or intentional? How is Dal Busta in the original English version?
I like him. On the tech side he's a bit loud and bassy, but as far as personality goes - very well conveyed. IMHO. A stark contrast with Reem, who has no personality thanks to the above.

csaba
x4

Post by csaba » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 15:12

Matthew94 wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 13:47
csaba wrote:
Sat, 4. Apr 20, 13:20

Yisha was believable.

This gal ain't.

XR overall had higher story production value as it was focused on that. Here it was an afterthought after player demand so likely less attention was given to the selection, practice and acting.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 18:31

I should have been more specific. HAT plot is an absolute nightmare, on par with a movie project in school. I was speaking about the Paranid plot.

The way the German voice actors calls the paranids "uptight fanatics" in one of his sentences without flinching one bit. Or how he cold-heartedly talks about watching Boso Ta while he sleeps. Or in another sitatuation (not word by word)
"<sarcastic, slower> Oh most holy of the holiest excellence of trinity, may I, unhole lower creature, may dare to ask you the question <curious, fast> how do you elect your leaders?"
I just couldn't hold it anymore at that point. He is upright messing with them. A mildly funny but serious voice makes this even better.

That is what I was interested in.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

IRaven
x4

Post by IRaven » Sat, 4. Apr 20, 19:35

playing the english version because who really needs german translation :rolleyes:
IMHO subtitles are more than sufficent, just leave the english voice.

And yes, the english voice actor had me laughing at that part too, very well played.

He gave me a real anti-Parranid feeling

MHDriver
x4

Post by MHDriver » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 01:18

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with "BAD." The voice acting was bad already but now it is friggin terrible. Half the split have this weird Asian/Indian accent and the other sound like an English guy trying to sound like an Asian/Indian. Should have stuck with the voice actors from XR imho.

Return to “X4: Foundations”