Bit lost on choosing weapons

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

THE_WESTi
x3ap

Bit lost on choosing weapons

Post by THE_WESTi » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 04:17

With the release of 3.0 and Split Vendetta I thought now would be a great time to jump back into x4 (I haven't played since launch)... I am very happy with how far the game has come!

However, I am a bit lost on the weapon front. There is an ingame tool for comparing ships which has been awesome but I don't know how to compare the weapons.

I have purchased a new Split Cobra and selected the heavy (max) loadout that came with mass drivers. I just took it out for its first spin and got annihilated by another M ship - I am not sure which type it was but its weapons were far superior.

Does any body have any recommendations on which weapons to use or know of a helpful tool which compares? To make things a bit more complicated, I am using VRO.

Thanks!

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Bit lost on choosing weapons

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 11:58

Thanks for asking :)

I've updated the Wiki page for forward beam/gun weapons to include Split weapons, and added a wiki page about turret beams/guns.

You can click on column headings to order the entries alphanumerically.

If you spot any errors or omissions, please feel free to update the wiki pages ass that doesn't require a wiki login :)

Edit: Just finished adding a Missile Weapons wiki page.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Sun, 5. Apr 20, 13:58

The basics you need to get by is that Mk2 does WAY more damage than mk1 but costs way more, "Pulse" and "Bolt" are standard rapid-fire weapons with decent dps and "Plasma" is slow-firing anti capital weaponry. Missile launchers are extremely powerful, but limited by ammunition.

Most other weapons are niche in their application or are 'Gun, but with a gimmick.' As always, feel to experiment with guns to see what you like, being aware that you can always return to the old standbys.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

THE_WESTi
x3ap

Post by THE_WESTi » Mon, 6. Apr 20, 00:27

Thanks so much Sparky! All of those links are exactly what I needed.

Thanks for the run down too Sandalpocalypse, will keep all of that in mind and have a good read through Sparky's links.

Return to “X4: Foundations”