Dear Egosoft Developers: A plea...

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Re: Dear Egosoft Developers: A plea...

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 20:10

EGO_Aut wrote:
Wed, 24. Jun 20, 17:14
CBJ wrote:
Wed, 24. Jun 20, 17:07
Not wishing to be rude, but did you read the rest of my post? I addressed literally everything you have just said. :)
Ok sry i dont want to challenge you, i know i know there must be a system thats equal to all players and so on....but it would be too nice, even some kind of "simple thing".
Dude - you literally described the Elite Dangerous multi-player. While, it might sounds cool and simple...it has nothing to do with core of X4 gameplay (simulating large, complex universe)...without the core of X-game this would be just a shallow MP-based space-sim and you have tons of these.

Why to bother with it, if you could just play ED right now?

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 20:43

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 24. Jun 20, 20:10
EGO_Aut wrote:
CBJ wrote:
Not wishing to be rude, but did you read the rest of my post? I addressed literally everything you have just said. :)
Ok sry i dont want to challenge you, i know i know there must be a system thats equal to all players and so on....but it would be too nice, even some kind of "simple thing".
Dude - you literally described the Elite Dangerous multi-player. While, it might sounds cool and simple...it has nothing to do with core of X4 gameplay (simulating large, complex universe)...without the core of X-game this would be just a shallow MP-based space-sim and you have tons of these.

Can you control a fleet in ED multiplayer, while simultaneously flying around in your own fighter or destroyer?

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 21:10

mr.WHO wrote:
EGO_Aut wrote:
CBJ wrote:

Whats your problem with it?
I never played ED, but a simple Multiplayer Adon would be nice - you do not need to play some kind of Multiplayer Invasion with other ppl, you could choose.

If you dont like it you play your SP Sandbox, but if you like a MP Element to play with others, you will be teleported (expedition?) in some kind of "contested" Sektor with other ppl to fight Xenon or Khaak.

If i want a complex MMOG i would go back to a game that sounds like a name of a girl :D
I like to SP in X4, but only sometimes i would like to interact with other PPL or take a VR-Headset (i do not like it to wear it more as 1-2h, but 3D it great)
Last edited by EGO_Aut on Wed, 24. Jun 20, 22:52, edited 2 times in total.

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 22:33

repatomonor wrote:
Wed, 24. Jun 20, 17:17
I heard TrackIR works really good for immersion too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5lRW0LbW64
Only if you can use the Track IR software, if you can't, then you're boned. My TrackIR works perfectly in things such as X-Plane using linuxtrack and ltr_gui, but since it's not the software that only runs on Malwindows, it's not supported by X4.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 22:38

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 24. Jun 20, 20:43
mr.WHO wrote:
EGO_Aut wrote:

Can you control a fleet in ED multiplayer, while simultaneously flying around in your own fighter or destroyer?
You want fleet battles?
Try Infinity: Battlescape

If you really want MP experience, there are other games that provide what you need.

dannyxx30
x4

Post by dannyxx30 » Wed, 24. Jun 20, 22:56

I think the point would be that while Egosoft are developing this multiplayer mode or VR mode, it takes development time away from the main game.
Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 24. Jun 20, 19:59
I think it would actually be a lot of fun to have a 1v1 local combat simulation, not replacing what we have already, but adding to it as a separate mode that could be selected in the menu. Not try to simulate the entire universe, just a single sector at most, where two players can test out their dogfighting and fleet command abilities against each other. Play around with ship balance, see what works best, be a fleet commander and ship commander at the same time. I'd pay for a DLC like that! I think a lot of other players would be happy to have something like this as well. It would not be something to replace the current X4 game, I think it would greatly add to it as a separate mode though.
Although I personally would prefer if the above was in the game in place of Ventures.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 07:15

EGO_Aut wrote:
Wed, 24. Jun 20, 21:10
If i want a complex MMOG i would go back to a game that sounds like a name of a girl :D
I like to SP in X4, but only sometimes i would like to interact with other PPL or take a VR-Headset (i do not like it to wear it more as 1-2h, but 3D it great)
Dude, read this topic again, especially CBJ reply - having VR is not "small thing" from developer viewpoint and it's even more work intense for MP.
All of this becasue you would want to use VR/MP for short time, from time to time.
It's like building a big house, but you will live in it only one day per year, yet you have to still pay for maintenance.
Why risking Egosoft financial stability and reputation (they have no experience with MP games) if there are plenty other MP games avaliable on the market?

Listen to yourself - you want them to risk all, because you want the to add "a small thing", that you will not even use frequently.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 08:26

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 25. Jun 20, 07:15
EGO_Aut wrote:
Wed, 24. Jun 20, 21:10
Dude listen, i dont want any advice from you and you dont have to repeat what others said.

And i dont want ES to change the whole game -or that you spam a lot of other games.

The fact is that there is already a multiplayer part in the game, the big question is how it will be further developed. You don't know and neither do I, but you will still be allowed to dream.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 08:49

EGO_Aut wrote:
Thu, 25. Jun 20, 08:26
The fact is that there is already a multiplayer part in the game, the big question is how it will be further developed. You don't know and neither do I, but you will still be allowed to dream.
You really don't have idea how multiplayer work - X4 ventures are as much multi-player as me sending a paper letter to you about what ship I can sent to your X4 game save. There was such system ages ago for turn based games via E-mail and probably some people played chess via actual paper letters, but this is not a real multi-player.

Real multi-player, even rudimentary co-op require much more data and much more things to run in sync - that's why when someone use multi-player you hear complains about de-sync errors.
X4 game code is by design single-player game - in no way or form it was made to run MP session. It's like having a bicycle and expecting it to fly to Mars.
EGO_Aut wrote:
Thu, 25. Jun 20, 08:26
And i dont want ES to change the whole game -or that you spam a lot of other games.
Then you have problem - you cannot have real MP in X4 without changing the whole game.
Again, X4 would probably be able to run coop with "small/pocket area" like in tutorial missions (that do not run entire universe), but then you're not playing real X4, but downgraded versio,n that is nothing more than second-rate space-sim, glorified Star Wars Squadrons I could say.

Speaking about SW Squadrons - it too has multi-player and VR support and EA has much more cash to burn.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 09:12

@mr.WHO

I'm done with you, apparently you don't want to understand the core of my posts. You sound like a stuck endless loop, always repeating the same thing.

@Falcrack

Your suggestion also sounds good.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 19:26

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 25. Jun 20, 08:49
Then you have problem - you cannot have real MP in X4 without changing the whole game.
Again, X4 would probably be able to run coop with "small/pocket area" like in tutorial missions (that do not run entire universe), but then you're not playing real X4, but downgraded versio,n that is nothing more than second-rate space-sim, glorified Star Wars Squadrons I could say.
What is being proposed is not to change the whole game to be MP. Not the whole universe being simulated. Just a separate arena mode added to X4, separate from the universe sim, placed in a single sector, where 2 people could have multiplayer fleet battles. No need to share data for a whole universe, no complex economic simulation to keep track of. And I think it would be a lot of fun and worthwhile to add, would sell well as a DLC to justify the cost of development, and would not detract from the game we currently have.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 04:48

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 24. Jun 20, 19:59
CBJ wrote:
Wed, 24. Jun 20, 16:18
The only way to avoid the need for huge amounts of data to be bouncing between clients to keep them in sync would be to cut it down to a 1v1 local combat simulation, but that's totally at odds with what X series games are all about.
I think it would actually be a lot of fun to have a 1v1 local combat simulation, not replacing what we have already, but adding to it as a separate mode that could be selected in the menu. Not try to simulate the entire universe, just a single sector at most, where two players can test out their dogfighting and fleet command abilities against each other. Play around with ship balance, see what works best, be a fleet commander and ship commander at the same time. I'd pay for a DLC like that! I think a lot of other players would be happy to have something like this as well. It would not be something to replace the current X4 game, I think it would greatly add to it as a separate mode though.
I have to agree with that... especially if it can be made "by invitation". Let me explain:

One system is selected at random from the existing.

Only two players can join at any time with a pre selected number and ability of ships. The first player to "enter" the "room" sends "invitation" to the second player. (This will definitely decrease demand for rooms, therefore space and bandwidth with the added bonus of creating "camaraderie" in the player base. Or it can be a very good way to resolve disputes. The "results" can be posted in Egosoft Forums)

It ends when any one of the players disconnects (for any reason) or gets destroyed to the last S fighter...

So, the systems in their "original" configuration are already stored in the server and only one is loaded to both players, then only the movements/actions of the "enemy's" ships need to be transferred between computers as they will both make the same adjustments to their "environment" (you can't have identical input with different outcomes, basic scientific truth).

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 07:29

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 25. Jun 20, 19:26
mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 25. Jun 20, 08:49
What is being proposed is not to change the whole game to be MP. Not the whole universe being simulated. Just a separate arena mode added to X4, separate from the universe sim, placed in a single sector, where 2 people could have multiplayer fleet battles. No need to share data for a whole universe, no complex economic simulation to keep track of. And I think it would be a lot of fun and worthwhile to add, would sell well as a DLC to justify the cost of development, and would not detract from the game we currently have.
It is doable, it would be fun, but is it worthwhile? Egosoft say it's not and they have better financial and technical overview that all of us.

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 14:30

There are hundreds of multiplayer games out there to choose from. The X series has always been good, single-player games. Not every games needs multiplayer - please. The point of the sandbox is that it’s “your” universe to play in. You can combat as a pilot, play as an economic mogul, setup your empire if you wish. The last thing I want is other kids playing in my sandbox and destroying my carefully built sandcastles.

The thing I love (and I’d hazard this might be true of others) is that I can save my universe after a session. Go and do my RL job, maintain family commitments and when I reload it’s as I left it and my adventure can continue.

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 14:47

Y-llian wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 14:30
There are hundreds of multiplayer games out there to choose from. The X series has always been good, single-player games. Not every games needs multiplayer - please. The point of the sandbox is that it’s “your” universe to play in. You can combat as a pilot, play as an economic mogul, setup your empire if you wish. The last thing I want is other kids playing in my sandbox and destroying my carefully built sandcastles.

The thing I love (and I’d hazard this might be true of others) is that I can save my universe after a session. Go and do my RL job, maintain family commitments and when I reload it’s as I left it and my adventure can continue.
Speaking of other games, I just realized Stellaris also has a somewhat complex simulation, but also does multiplayer, and you can even save the game session in it. :P

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 15:02

Clownmug wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 14:47
Speaking of other games, I just realized Stellaris also has a somewhat complex simulation, but also does multiplayer, and you can even save the game session in it. :P
You would not believe how many people complain about de-sync issues of MP Session every time Stellaris is updated (and it's updated very frequently).

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 15:43

Clownmug wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 14:47

Yes, I enjoy Stellaris... but, it’s nothing like X4. They are completely different games, with different design and aims. The only relation is that they are both computer games, in the same vain as saying apples and bridges are similar because they both have matter.

I’m not saying this to be unkind, I appreciate there are diverging views here. At the core (and I’d say strength) of the X series has been the aim to simulate a universe where you can play in first-person but also have a strategic, economic and shooter gameplay. It’s genre defying which is why comparisons with other games are always going to be problematic.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 21:02

Clownmug wrote:
Wed, 24. Jun 20, 14:16
mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 24. Jun 20, 14:02
Egosoft stated they won't do X4 VR, because XR VR was financial failure.

It must take several years and several more games like Half-Life Alyx, before VR market become big enough to be financially viable.
Hello Games is making everyone else look bad then since they added VR to No Man's Sky in their regular updates. Then a few months later had an update just to add an in-game music synthesizer...
No Man's Sky was thee most hyped game in news media, no game in history received as much press from game magazines, even beyond games media.

Sadly, Egosoft can only wish for that sort of coverage, which Rebirth VR didn't get a crumb of. Maybe it would of made more money if it had more media coverage? But that requires allot of money to invest in marketing.
Sean Murray was handed everything, all that free media that he didn't deserve.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Clownmug
x4

Post by Clownmug » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 21:58

spankahontis wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 21:02
Clownmug wrote:
mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 24. Jun 20, 14:02
Egosoft stated they won't do X4 VR, because XR VR was financial failure.

It must take several years and several more games like Half-Life Alyx, before VR market become big enough to be financially viable.
Hello Games is making everyone else look bad then since they added VR to No Man's Sky in their regular updates. Then a few months later had an update just to add an in-game music synthesizer...
No Man's Sky was thee most hyped game in news media, no game in history received as much press from game magazines, even beyond games media.

Sadly, Egosoft can only wish for that sort of coverage, which Rebirth VR didn't get a crumb of. Maybe it would of made more money if it had more media coverage? But that requires allot of money to invest in marketing.
Good marketing doesn't require a lot of investment, it just requires more effort than a few web ads, livestreaming a couple videos, and showing up at Gamescom every few years. Also having marketable features like VR and multiplayer helps. Just vaguely insinuating they had multiplayer, even though they didn't at the time, was enough to sell No Man's Sky to a lot of people.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Tue, 30. Jun 20, 19:02

Clownmug wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 21:58
spankahontis wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 21:02
Clownmug wrote:

Good marketing doesn't require a lot of investment, it just requires more effort than a few web ads, livestreaming a couple videos, and showing up at Gamescom every few years. Also having marketable features like VR and multiplayer helps. Just vaguely insinuating they had multiplayer, even though they didn't at the time, was enough to sell No Man's Sky to a lot of people.
It was WAY more than just bullshitting about multi-player!
Sean Murray lied about something like 70+ features of the game and people started building up all these awesome features and that is what built momentum.
That side of his momentum was free because the Space Sim community were hyping this up like a virus spreading.
Free advertising being spread by those that heard Murray's hype.

But that couldn't of happened without the dozens of interviews he conducted to games magazines.
He even managed to get on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert, he was THAT popular at the time. He hit mainstream audiences even beyond gaming markets, Sure he had a marketing firm selling the concept of his games to the target audiences but no market firm could of prepared for the hype that No Mans Sky got.
This 'nobody' games company got more publicity than the top AAA Games of the time.
One of the most hyped games in video game history. I've heard it got more coverage all-round than Star Citizen?

Testament to a lie getting halfway across the world before the truth has time to put it's pants on.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Return to “X4: Foundations”