[3.3 B1] Feedback new role texts

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Max Bain
x3ap

[3.3 B1] Feedback new role texts

Post by Max Bain » Thu, 25. Jun 20, 23:27

The new texts are more self explaining than before, but still a bit room for improvements.

I would suggest:

Attack with Commander -> Attack commanders Target
Intercept for Commander -> Intercept all enemies

At least the Intercept for Commander I would change because if I wouldnt know what it does, I still would not know what Intercept for Commander means. Intercept all enemies describes exactly what the command does. The subordinate attacks all enemies in range (at least thats what I think the command does in game).

I think from a noob perspective it would be more self explaining.
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Falcrack
x4

Re: [3.3 B1] Feedback new role texts

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 03:56

Intercept only intercepts non-capital ships, correct?

I would be in favor of adding a greater variety of roles:

Attack Commander's target: Attacks same target as commander (same as current attack command)
Attack all enemies: Attacks any hostile ship (like intercept, except without class restrictions)
Attack capitals: Only attacks capitals and stations within range (40 km), not necessarily the same target as commander (Like intercept command, but for capital ships)
Attack non-capitals: Only attacks S and M ships within range (40 km), not necessarily the same target as commander (same as current intercept command)
Defense: Attack ships that are attacking commander, or any ship that is attacking any member of the fleet it is assigned to
Last edited by Falcrack on Fri, 26. Jun 20, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 03:58

Another couple roles

Defend Commander: Attack ships that are attacking the commander
Defend Fleet: Attack ships that are attacking any member of the fleet

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 10:55

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 03:56
Intercept only intercepts non-capital ships, correct?
I dont think so and hope I am right because you can also set L and XL ships as "intercept role". I sure dont want my destroyers hunt some S fighters only. Also if you give S ships heavy missiles or torps they should attack large ships too.
I believe that it means simply attack all enemies within 20km range. Maybe prioritized after role (so fighters hunt other fighters first and destroyers other destroyers first).
Another couple roles

Defend Commander: Attack ships that are attacking the commander
Defend Fleet: Attack ships that are attacking any member of the fleet
While you are mentioning this, I think the defend Commander does what you describe as defend fleet. At least thats what I read some time ago from a dev and I think renaming it would make sense.

Defend Commander -> Defend Fleet
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 11:54

Since this is becoming a suggestion discussion, it can go to the main X4 forum.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Fri, 26. Jun 20, 23:32

Max Bain wrote:
Fri, 26. Jun 20, 10:55
I dont think so and hope I am right because you can also set L and XL ships as "intercept role". I sure dont want my destroyers hunt some S fighters only. Also if you give S ships heavy missiles or torps they should attack large ships too.
As far as I remember an Egosoft developer said the role "Intercept" means attack all non-capital ship targets in the commanders radar range.

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sat, 27. Jun 20, 03:47

viewtopic.php?p=4908844#p4908844 by j.harshaw is prolly what you're thinking of. The Wiki could do with a tidy-up: I really should get around to it :(
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Sat, 27. Jun 20, 12:07

Snafu_X3 wrote:
Sat, 27. Jun 20, 03:47
viewtopic.php?p=4908844#p4908844 by j.harshaw is prolly what you're thinking of. The Wiki could do with a tidy-up: I really should get around to it :(
OK, but then I suggest to expand Intercept to attack ALL targets within range.
As said it makes no sense to add anticapital ships with this role if they only hunt small vessels. Especially if they are slower (which is for all L and XL ships). I like to give my carriers destroyer support and they shall attack other big ships in battle. Not only the main target of the carrier and they shall not only defend the carrier. So I miss such a role.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sat, 27. Jun 20, 12:17

Max Bain wrote:
Sat, 27. Jun 20, 12:07
Snafu_X3 wrote:
As said it makes no sense to add anticapital ships with this role if they only hunt small vessels. Especially if they are slower (which is for all L and XL ships). I like to give my carriers destroyer support and they shall attack other big ships in battle. Not only the main target of the carrier and they shall not only defend the carrier. So I miss such a role.
Definitely no, add a new role if you must, but I don't want my fighter killers going around suiciding on capital ships.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Sun, 28. Jun 20, 01:46

Raptor34 wrote:
Sat, 27. Jun 20, 12:17
Max Bain wrote:
Snafu_X3 wrote:
Definitely no, add a new role if you must, but I don't want my fighter killers going around suiciding on capital ships.
Yeah I too think an extra role would be the best solution. Like for turrets.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 29. Jun 20, 16:33

Max Bain wrote:
Sun, 28. Jun 20, 01:46
Raptor34 wrote:
Sat, 27. Jun 20, 12:17
Max Bain wrote:

Yeah I too think an extra role would be the best solution. Like for turrets.
Have Intercept be broken up into two commands:

Intercept All
Intercept S/M

Return to “X4: Foundations”