Is a pier really needed?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ezra-r
x4

Is a pier really needed?

Post by ezra-r » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 17:01

Is a pier module really needed?

For example, when I build a defence station or anything that will not require big ships to dock and transfer wares.

Why is that the builder section in the game complains about not having a PIER then?

Cdaragorn
x4

Re: Is a pier really needed?

Post by Cdaragorn » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 17:21

I don't know about the builder section complaining about it but there's no reason to build one if you don't want larger ships to be able to dock. That's the biggest thing I love about X4's station building over past games. You are actually able to build stations exactly the way you want to. It's completely custom from start to finish.
"All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost." -- J.R.R. Tolkein

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 17:39

For spmething like a defense station, no, you do not need a pier. The only benefit I can think of is for drone parts deliveries, because those are traded to the station and not build storage. Or perhapa just to have a place to dock an L or XL ship, so it's not randomly roaming around. Though i would personally just set the ship to protect the station, pateol the surrounding area, or subordinate it to the station as defense.

I put piers on all my other stations though even though I dont use XL or L freighters, i do use L miners, and NPCs have tons of L freighters.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Wed, 1. Jul 20, 21:12

Definitely not needed for most purposes, but can help as detailed above. They are harder to add later, but I still build many stations without them.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

gorgofdoom
x4

Post by gorgofdoom » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 13:00

In the later game they are necessary IMO. Consider that you make 20% extra on a trade (based on demand). With M ships, you'll deliver 7k goods per trade and eventually work that bonus down to -20%. Trades between +20% and -20% will be the majority.

With L/XL traders you trade ~40k worth of goods in one trade. This allows you to get the most from that 20% bonus as it is applied to 40k worth of goods instead of 7k.

Another thing to consider is that with L traders, since they are bigger, you don't have to give them as many orders to achieve the same effect. Less micromanagement is king when building an empire.

Return to “X4: Foundations”