Crystal mining and the "Flashes" of light

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

soyer
x4

Crystal mining and the "Flashes" of light

Post by soyer » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 18:43

So i'm at the point in a certain quest tree where i need to mine Mitonene Crystals (9).. (Spoiler free statement)

My issue is i've never done crystal mining.. i can't ever seem to "see" the flashes reported in videos.. I'm not saying i'm OLD or anything.. but.. apparently i don't see them :)

Is there another way to mine crystals, something a bit more deterministic? Here i am flying around with 32billion in cash and shipyards all over the place.. and I'm having to fly around in a little ship looking for "flashes" of light in asteroid fields.

Am i missing something obvious ? Is there a gamma setting or some game setting i may have wrong? Or am i just experiencing a poor-eyesight related handicap :)

Rastuasi
x4

Re: Crystal mining and the "Flashes" of light

Post by Rastuasi » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 18:53

soyer wrote:
Thu, 2. Jul 20, 18:43
So i'm at the point in a certain quest tree where i need to mine Mitonene Crystals (9).. (Spoiler free statement)

My issue is i've never done crystal mining.. i can't ever seem to "see" the flashes reported in videos.. I'm not saying i'm OLD or anything.. but.. apparently i don't see them :)

Is there another way to mine crystals, something a bit more deterministic? Here i am flying around with 32billion in cash and shipyards all over the place.. and I'm having to fly around in a little ship looking for "flashes" of light in asteroid fields.

Am i missing something obvious ? Is there a gamma setting or some game setting i may have wrong? Or am i just experiencing a poor-eyesight related handicap :)
If you are accepting mod suggestions, there's a mod called "CrystalFinder" on the nexus. It makes the asteroids light up with color when approached (based on draw distance settings) and helps to spot them.

soyer
x4

Post by soyer » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 18:56

I appreciate the suggestion.

Right now i'm still in vanilla mode (I always like to try to experience a game like the developer wanted first), but this and my pilots not leveling past 3 stars are adding to the weight of me modding :)

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 19:18

Fly aroud the asteroid field in Scan Mode (Shift 2) then you'll be able to see the different coloured spots in the asteroids that contain the crystals. What you are looking for is the purple ones (not sure but worth a try).

soyer
x4

Post by soyer » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 20:28

Thanks!

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 21:49

You can also get them from ventures, I think. For some reason, I already had 6-7 in stock when I did that quest, so I assume venture was the reason.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 2. Jul 20, 21:51

The lights are a bit small ego should really brighten them up a bit also the crystal model should be a little larger so its easier to spot as sometimes there so small sometimes u cant find them on certain roids even tho the beacon told u theres one there.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

spookywatcher

Post by spookywatcher » Fri, 3. Jul 20, 01:18

Be sure to hit ctrl-h to get rid of the cockpit. That'll help tremendously when spotting the flashes. And once you see them once...you'll be able to see them from then on.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Fri, 3. Jul 20, 02:20

soyer wrote:
i can't ever seem to "see" the flashes reported in videos..
Iirc the angle is important between sun crystals and you. At least when i tried to find crystals it looked like i get way more reflections from one direction then the rest.
Might be coincidence, didn't spend much time on it.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Fri, 3. Jul 20, 08:23

soyer wrote:
Thu, 2. Jul 20, 18:56
I appreciate the suggestion.

Right now i'm still in vanilla mode (I always like to try to experience a game like the developer wanted first), but this and my pilots not leveling past 3 stars are adding to the weight of me modding :)
You really don't need 3 star pilots. A LOT of people are hung up on 3 star pilots, but automated miners and traders make a ridiculously small amount of money compared to stations, unless you are literally flooding the universe with them... which once you start building stations becomes redundant because you're taking business away from yourself. Once you have an advanced economy, and a good number of stations, 2 star pilots on freighters for distribute wares does a better job of moving goods around compared to auto-trade anyhow. Sector auto-miners are fine to get you started... then buy a couple cheap basic and 1 star seminars, and do a few 2 star pilot missions, and all your miners will be 3 stars and can auto-mine to their hearts content. My current play-through, I think I've gotten 3 of my auto traders to 3 stars with seminars... but I'm only using 5 auto miners for gas and ore each, and 5 total for auto-trading or distribute wares.... but distribute wares does a better job now of moving goods around than auto-trade anyhow. My station traders and miners do the heavy lifting when it comes to resources, goods, and trading... and by a LARGE margin.

3 star pilots are really easy to get now, and also completely unnecessary except maybe for combat pilots. But you can also level up combat pilots pretty quick by parking a small fleet outside a Xenon gate and they'll level quite quickly just gate guarding. a LOT of people parrot the "i need 3 star pilots" line like it's some kind of truth... but it's not, at all. There are plenty of ways to work the economy, just as well, or better, if you experiment outside of just using an automated fleet to make you money while you sit on seta overnight like a lot of people do.

Nort The Fragrent
x4

Post by Nort The Fragrent » Fri, 3. Jul 20, 19:06

Get a bigger screen,
I have a huge monitor, and the crystal blinks are very obvious.

:)

RodentofDoom
x4

Post by RodentofDoom » Fri, 3. Jul 20, 21:04

pref wrote:
Fri, 3. Jul 20, 02:20
soyer wrote:
i can't ever seem to "see" the flashes reported in videos..
Iirc the angle is important between sun crystals and you. At least when i tried to find crystals it looked like i get way more reflections from one direction then the rest.
Might be coincidence, didn't spend much time on it.
Pretty much this.
You want the sun behind you and the crystals in front of you.
You can still spot them when the sun is in front of you, but it's a lot harder if you don't know what you're looking for.

You're not looking for ambient light bouncing off them, they have a very small localised pulse to highlight their presence.
Having the bright light of the systems star behind you just makes it easier to spot.

I found a dumbfire launcher to be the best harvesting method.
1 missile pops all the fragments even with a 'close hit' .. gunfire has to be dead-on in comparison and requires multiple hits.

Return to “X4: Foundations”