X4: Cradle of Humanity (Release Date March 16, 2021, 6pm CET; Livestream at 5pm CET)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

GurraGH

Re: X4: Cradle of Humanity - Unveiling the next chapter of X4: Foundations

Post by GurraGH » Sat, 29. Aug 20, 18:44

Hopefully Egosoft fixes the asteriod-problem with this update. That they pop in at close range so that it feels very unnatural. Perhaps a slider for distance-option for asteroids will do?

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Sat, 29. Aug 20, 18:52

Matthew94 wrote:
Sat, 29. Aug 20, 15:03
They said X4 has the GoD module? Does this mean it's placing build/deconstruct orders or is it straight up deleting stations and making new ones appear like in X3?
It’s totally different in X4. Far more realistic. I think it’s all just orders, not magically deleting and making stations.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Matthew94
xr

Post by Matthew94 » Sat, 29. Aug 20, 19:12

tomchk wrote:
Sat, 29. Aug 20, 18:52
Matthew94 wrote:
They said X4 has the GoD module? Does this mean it's placing build/deconstruct orders or is it straight up deleting stations and making new ones appear like in X3?
It’s totally different in X4. Far more realistic. I think it’s all just orders, not magically deleting and making stations.
Thanks for clearing that up. I think it's a bad move to associate the faction logic with the old GoD system and its problems.
Last edited by Matthew94 on Sat, 29. Aug 20, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

tomchk
x4

Post by tomchk » Sat, 29. Aug 20, 19:16

Haha yeah I wish they hadn’t done that... One of the expert mod authors here can confirm how much more realistic X4’s economy is. It’s a massive jump over all the games in that sense.
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

Gregory
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Gregory » Sat, 29. Aug 20, 20:41

Bernd's AMA is kicking off in 20 minutes, send in your questions already over at https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... tion_game/
All our channels in one convenient list :arrow: https://linktr.ee/egosoft

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 29. Aug 20, 22:18

Some highlight from AMA:
The balancing of the terran ships and their weapons is by far not done yet but there is a chance that their weapons are not fully compatible with other races. The idea with many of their new ships is that they can dissipate heat better than all other ships (thanks to their larger surface area in cool wings) and their weapons take special advantage of this fact. But this is not set in stone yet, so do not take my word for it.
Yas! FInally I will be able to fire my plasma without overheating after 3 shots!
Are you able to talk about the Terran factions involved in 4.0? Will it be the USC and Aldrin? Will the ATF feature? Or should we wait for further info in the future?

They are different from X3TC and X3AP. Yes the Terran military is still powerful but there is a new faction as well. Stay tuned ;)
But the truth is that we are working on CoH now and what happens after that we will see then. Chances for more X4 expansions are very good though, because YES the game is doing EXCELLENT! (/ob: Thanks to all of you for supporting us!!)
The Terran economy is "mostly" disconnected but has SOME overlap. Their economy is different from the rest of the X races, similar to earlier X games and also because it makes sense in the historic context.

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Sun, 30. Aug 20, 00:47

Matthew94 wrote:
Sat, 29. Aug 20, 19:12
tomchk wrote:
Matthew94 wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I think it's a bad move to associate the faction logic with the old GoD system and its problems.
I think sometimes factories will vanish a station if the war logic doesn't have it in it's sights. I feel I've seen one or two stations disappear from Pontifex's Claim, without the station vibration on the map. before the Godrealm sent their destroyers to the Claytronics Factory.
Orders for factories to appear may pop in or not but with the construction plots they do need those station building resources so It certainly feels more organic than GoD.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 30. Aug 20, 05:47

Ormac wrote:
Sun, 30. Aug 20, 00:47
Matthew94 wrote:
Sat, 29. Aug 20, 19:12
tomchk wrote:

I think sometimes factories will vanish a station if the war logic doesn't have it in it's sights. I feel I've seen one or two stations disappear from Pontifex's Claim, without the station vibration on the map. before the Godrealm sent their destroyers to the Claytronics Factory.
Orders for factories to appear may pop in or not but with the construction plots they do need those station building resources so It certainly feels more organic than GoD.
They do dismantle factories yes, probably for the same reason as in old games, they are just not needed anymore. But they don't just disappear, they dismantle the same way you do. And iirc they turn white for some reason too when dismantling rather than their faction colors. Just too bad they don't have a fire sale on all those resources, but from what I see at those point its probably cause your own econ is muscling them out of business anyway.

g04tn4d0
x4

Post by g04tn4d0 » Sun, 30. Aug 20, 14:59

New pirate faction! Oh, boy! I only had half my small trading company waffle-stomped out of existence by current marauding pirates and Xenon shortly after officially having a stable revenue source. Can't wait! :rant:

Schwarzengel
x4

Post by Schwarzengel » Sun, 30. Aug 20, 18:25

I hope 4.0 will bring fixes and additions to the docking ai of carriers in general. otherwise, I won't be bothered buying the DLC

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Mon, 31. Aug 20, 19:13

Wooooo! Looking forward to going back to Terran space in CoH. Will there be any new music for the DLC? :mrgreen:

Matthew94
xr

Post by Matthew94 » Wed, 2. Sep 20, 15:13

Tycow wrote:
Mon, 31. Aug 20, 19:13
Will there be any new music for the DLC? :mrgreen:
I'd say so given that SV had a brand new OST and there's new music in the trailer.

I'll riot if there's no new music.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 2. Sep 20, 16:07

ncc386 wrote:
Sun, 30. Aug 20, 14:59
New pirate faction! Oh, boy! I only had half my small trading company waffle-stomped out of existence by current marauding pirates and Xenon shortly after officially having a stable revenue source. Can't wait! :rant:
You know how delicate it is to balance between players who do not have enough to shoot at, the players that are already shot at more than enough, and the players that ... (gosh, there are so many fundamentally different viewpoints). :goner:

Most of us presumably agree that more of the same is not necessary and the new acquaintances should have novel stomp routines. :pirat:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Matthew94
xr

Post by Matthew94 » Wed, 2. Sep 20, 16:11

jlehtone wrote:
Wed, 2. Sep 20, 16:07
ncc386 wrote:
You know how delicate it is to balance between players who do not have enough to shoot at, the players that are already shot at more than enough, and the players that ... (gosh, there are so many fundamentally different viewpoints). :goner:

Most of us presumably agree that more of the same is not necessary and the new acquaintances should have novel stomp routines. :pirat:
The issue with pirates isn't that there's too many of them. It's that they're impossible to defend against once you build an empire. Their effect is a permanent running cost on the business with damage that has to be manually fixed up over time. There's no simple way to check what damage they've done and which means that stations need continual checking to make sure they've enough ships to operate well enough.

The game has some police functions, we should be able to have a strong police force that actively scans for pirates and brings in local patrols to destroy them if the pirate is discovered.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Wed, 2. Sep 20, 16:17

Matthew94 wrote:
Wed, 2. Sep 20, 15:13
Tycow wrote:
Mon, 31. Aug 20, 19:13
Will there be any new music for the DLC? :mrgreen:
I'd say so given that SV had a brand new OST and there's new music in the trailer.

I'll riot if there's no new music.
That's my assumption too, but it would be nice to be confirmed from the horse's mouth! :D

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 3. Sep 20, 07:21

Matthew94 wrote:
Wed, 2. Sep 20, 16:11
jlehtone wrote:
ncc386 wrote:

The issue with pirates isn't that there's too many of them. It's that they're impossible to defend against once you build an empire. Their effect is a permanent running cost on the business with damage that has to be manually fixed up over time. There's no simple way to check what damage they've done and which means that stations need continual checking to make sure they've enough ships to operate well enough.

The game has some police functions, we should be able to have a strong police force that actively scans for pirates and brings in local patrols to destroy them if the pirate is discovered.
I agree that there has to be a more proactive approach to dealing with pirates, but there is a simple way to check what you've lost. (I had to turn off pirate harassment notifications as there could be as many as 4 or 5 in a minute.) - Anyhow, if you go to your logbook, and search with the word 'destroyed' all the red entries stack, showing what you've lost and when, interspersed with lost stations from all factions too.) The losses aren't huge, but certain factories and sectors seem to be perennial hotspots, making targeting a response a little easier.

Does eliminating pirate bases stop the threat, or is this an element of X4 which spawns rather than simulates?
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 3. Sep 20, 07:47

Gavrushka wrote:
Thu, 3. Sep 20, 07:21
Matthew94 wrote:
jlehtone wrote:

I agree that there has to be a more proactive approach to dealing with pirates, but there is a simple way to check what you've lost. (I had to turn off pirate harassment notifications as there could be as many as 4 or 5 in a minute.) - Anyhow, if you go to your logbook, and search with the word 'destroyed' all the red entries stack, showing what you've lost and when, interspersed with lost stations from all factions too.) The losses aren't huge, but certain factories and sectors seem to be perennial hotspots, making targeting a response a little easier.

Does eliminating pirate bases stop the threat, or is this an element of X4 which spawns rather than simulates?
SCA are spawns. Personally I just set global orders to comply and set up treasure ships as bait. We need more data tbh, so we can actually check what is better.

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Thu, 3. Sep 20, 13:48

Matthew94 wrote:

Agreed. I'd even be in favour of having to build police ships and assign them to a police system. Most of us tend to use the treasure ship system which means we're de facto building a police force anyway. Raptor34 is right, we do need more data. Also, from what I've read in other threads, some players argue that a true pirate style play isn't as well developed as it could be. I've dabbled with this, had quite a bit of fun, but I always gravitate back to my old love of empire building and it's here, that those pesky pirates are like a never ending parade of mosquito bites.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 3. Sep 20, 17:19

Y-llian wrote:
Thu, 3. Sep 20, 13:48
Matthew94 wrote:

Agreed. I'd even be in favour of having to build police ships and assign them to a police system. Most of us tend to use the treasure ship system which means we're de facto building a police force anyway. Raptor34 is right, we do need more data. Also, from what I've read in other threads, some players argue that a true pirate style play isn't as well developed as it could be. I've dabbled with this, had quite a bit of fun, but I always gravitate back to my old love of empire building and it's here, that those pesky pirates are like a never ending parade of mosquito bites.
Just to clarify I was specifically talking about data regarding how much I lose when just complying with pirates vs. needing to replace ships.
But honestly I think one of the problems with pirates currently is how obvious they are, I think player's reasoning is that if I can just skim a list and easily scan and reveal pirates then obviously the AI should do the same, which while more realistically you wouldn't have the very obvious HOP Pillager Behemoth Sentinel showing up, instead you'll have the perfectly innocent PAR Courier Tethys Sentinel/Gorgon Sentinel which all scans indicate they are perfectly innocent ships. Except they are carrying a full load of Ion Blasters which they really shouldn't have. Even better if you have new weapons which are optimized for piracy, stuff that could slow you down or disrupt shields/weapons.
I have made a suggestion here before viewtopic.php?f=146&t=427976&p=4961042& ... e#p4961042 and someone does make a good point that it is very WIP feeling atm. Well, they work at least, I have had pirate ships sell stuff to me before, a Behemoth Sentinel coming in to dock with my aux ship to sell me stuff, too bad it was a Xenon gate and since I was IS I think it got blown up before it can do stuff. So SCA pirates do act as pirates rather than FAF terrorists.

phrozen1
x4

Post by phrozen1 » Thu, 3. Sep 20, 22:55

About the "reward"-statement in the gamescom stream (at about 17min):

I don't get it? Why don't give the player meaningful reward for the missions?
It also in the Split Vendeta missions where you invest huge amounts of credits and get almost nothing for it.
(Sometimes the missions even have negative economical outcomes because of faction and relation-changes.)
It doesn't need to be a special ship but for example positive impacts on the economy.

Am I the only one dreaming of planet-hub-stations? :roll:

But anyway. This statement sounds like you don't want to reward the player for his time-investment on purpose.

Return to “X4: Foundations”