X4: Cradle of Humanity (Release Date March 16, 2021, 6pm CET; Livestream at 5pm CET)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Re: X4: Cradle of Humanity *UPDATE* Fresh from the shipyard: unveiling a new battleship

Post by Geek » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 17:26

Gunships have typically more turrets than guns in X4.
The Katana 4 guns and 2 turrets match more a Corvette.
Right on commander !

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Re: X4: Cradle of Humanity *UPDATE* Fresh from the shipyard: unveiling a new battleship

Post by Tamina » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 17:30

Oh, you are right. :)

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 00:26

Geek wrote:
Thu, 3. Dec 20, 17:26
Gunships have typically more turrets than guns in X4.
The Katana 4 guns and 2 turrets match more a Corvette.
Is this official yet? I mean - the only screenshot revealed to the public doesn't show us the belly of the beast. (one could hide 2 turrets there :wink: )

If a Split Dragon can come with 6 guns & 2 turrets, sure a Terran Katana can come with 4 guns & 4 turrets ...

Let the Borons get the next corvette, that ship class is more suitable for the Hydra. :P

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 00:37

Until you realize that this ship needs to be able to land on stations, so it can't have turrets on its belly.

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Matthew94
xr

Post by Matthew94 » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 00:46

That new ship looks insane. I shall make use of it for major DAKKA against my enemies.

She will be mine. Oh yes, she will be mine.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 01:27

Tamina wrote:
Fri, 4. Dec 20, 00:37
Until you realize that this ship needs to be able to land on stations, so it can't have turrets on its belly.
I really hope this is not yet another restriction for ship designs. Their major job is fly around & look good, not sitting at a dock :(

Spoiler
Show

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 08:01

chew-ie wrote:
Fri, 4. Dec 20, 00:26
[
Is this official yet? I mean - the only screenshot revealed to the public doesn't show us the belly of the beast. (one could hide 2 turrets there :wink: )

If a Split Dragon can come with 6 guns & 2 turrets, sure a Terran Katana can come with 4 guns & 4 turrets ...
Not sure what you mean by official, I do not work for Egosoft.

I am confident that Terran ships will be well shielded, so for the balance sake they can not have as many guns than Split ships.
Right on commander !

xant
x4

Post by xant » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 08:24

The words "Terran" and "balance" shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Does anyone really expect them to be balanced? :o

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 08:32

X4 allows conquest, so balancing is very much necessary. It would be boring quickly to see one faction taking over everything.
Right on commander !

xant
x4

Post by xant » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 08:48

Only if every faction behaved the same and went to constant warfare and conquest.

It also gets boring very quickly if every faction plays more or less the same.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 08:55

Geek wrote:
Fri, 4. Dec 20, 08:01
chew-ie wrote:
Fri, 4. Dec 20, 00:26
[

Not sure what you mean by official, I do not work for Egosoft.
I know, hence the question - you sounded quite sure with that.

Spoiler
Show

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 09:18

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 3. Dec 20, 17:03
Will we have more ship reveal?

From Terrans I think we have left with reveal of:
- Gunship (unless they are like Paranid/Split, who use Corvette instead of Gunship)
- Frigate
- Carrier
- Auxilary ship

...Yes I know there are also Couriers, Freighters and Miners, but these are not so interesting.

Also Terran bridge/cokpit would be nice to see too.
As a businessman, freighters and miners are of quite a bit of interest to me. :p

Xanador77
x4

Post by Xanador77 » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 11:56

Geek wrote:
Fri, 4. Dec 20, 08:32
X4 allows conquest, so balancing is very much necessary. It would be boring quickly to see one faction taking over everything.
Why? if a ship costs more resources (and credits) it can be better imo. The I is a good example that you can implement OP ships in the game...

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 12:42

The Xenons is a good example actually ; *every* game turns into a race to prevent them to destroy everything.
So no, it is not a good idea.

Cost is only a facor if the faction does not have more resources than the others.
Remember, NPC faction have (practically) infinite budget.
Right on commander !

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 12:47

The I is not obtainable by the player, or all Xenon ships for that matter. Huge difference. There was once a bug with which you could obtain a Xenon I ... the game went from "that is so cool" to boring in the very same second. The balancing of Xenons dictate the games difficulty for the player - should s/he chose to combat Xenons.
The latest ship screams "We need a cover on that thermal exhaust port", and I really hope this is how it turns out - some kind of exploitable weakness.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

xant
x4

Post by xant » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 13:37

Exploitable weakness yes, underpowered for the sake of balancing no.

The Xenon are indeed a good example, they are overpowered, but they also fight all other factions at the same time on half a dozen different sectors. That's their gameplay, it is different from all others. They have their own economy and different goals.

Terrans could be confined to their space, not expanding, but also overpowered in their defense. That was their thing in X3: isolated and protected space, vastly superior tech and weaponry, no interest in expansion. Their gameplay and way of interacting with the universe could be "control of forbidden tech and fighting AGI (Xenon)". To that end they could build a fleet, fly over and punish whoever they want and then return home. All in all they stay where they are. No need to weaken and programming them to do what all other factions also do.

Just like Xenon, different tools for different tasks.

Another story is what the player does with it, but as it is a singleplayer sandbox, the player can either help the Terrans, wipe them out, use their op tech, not use it etc. If you ruin your sandbox, that's on you and not on the sandbox.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 13:55

Tamina wrote:
Fri, 4. Dec 20, 12:47
The latest ship screams "We need a cover on that thermal exhaust port", and I really hope this is how it turns out - some kind of exploitable weakness.
Nah... just make it chase you inside a bunch of asteroids. You do that at the start of the game, it will come out by the time you have your second shipyard up and running!!!

razor202
x4

Post by razor202 » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 14:22

xant wrote:
Fri, 4. Dec 20, 13:37
Exploitable weakness yes, underpowered for the sake of balancing no.

The Xenon are indeed a good example, they are overpowered, but they also fight all other factions at the same time on half a dozen different sectors. That's their gameplay, it is different from all others. They have their own economy and different goals.

Terrans could be confined to their space, not expanding, but also overpowered in their defense. That was their thing in X3: isolated and protected space, vastly superior tech and weaponry, no interest in expansion. Their gameplay and way of interacting with the universe could be "control of forbidden tech and fighting AGI (Xenon)". To that end they could build a fleet, fly over and punish whoever they want and then return home. All in all they stay where they are. No need to weaken and programming them to do what all other factions also do.

Just like Xenon, different tools for different tasks.

Another story is what the player does with it, but as it is a singleplayer sandbox, the player can either help the Terrans, wipe them out, use their op tech, not use it etc. If you ruin your sandbox, that's on you and not on the sandbox.
Agree! In X3, Terrans are even more powerfull than the Xenon, but who think the game is unbalanced and boring?

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 14:56

X3TC does not have conquest, and AP in a very limited fashion (although it clearly shows Terrans are not a defensive faction).

Xenons have better tools in X4, not different tools. Their goal is conquest, in fact they do not do anything else.

The bottom line is some people want Terrans to be OP for the sake of it, or misplaced self identification, but that will hurt the game.
Remember, the whole X4 economy is about war.
Right on commander !

RedEyedRaven
x4

Post by RedEyedRaven » Fri, 4. Dec 20, 15:22

Geek wrote:
Fri, 4. Dec 20, 14:56
X3TC does not have conquest, and AP in a very limited fashion (although it clearly shows Terrans are not a defensive faction).

Xenons have better tools in X4, not different tools. Their goal is conquest, in fact they do not do anything else.

The bottom line is some people want Terrans to be OP for the sake of it, or misplaced self identification, but that will hurt the game.
Remember, the whole X4 economy is about war.
Lorewise terrans have been technologically superior, but ingame they weren't all that different from the other races.

We'll see how they're now when CoH is actually out.
2023: X4: Seafood-restaurant 'Split' opens in ZYA-space. Reservations limited, get yours today!

Return to “X4: Foundations”