Pilots skill

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

sh1pman
x4

Re: Pilots skill

Post by sh1pman » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 17:23

pref wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 16:51
My assumption is that this got changed since that number surfaced, along with seminars (last i tried before i needed 3 for a single point). With that chance i shouldn't have any, and on 3.0 release or around that i got virtually no skillups beyond 2 iirc.
Anyway noted the time i released those test guys, curious how much time it will take them to level that 1/3*. Will report back with that.
I think those numbers are accurate for 3.20, but they might've changed it in 3.30. I haven't seen any of my traders (hundreds of ships!) leveling up to 3* in 3.20, and I played a lot back then. Moved on to other games (Rimworld and Factorio) probably until 4.0 and Terran expansion, so can't speak about the latest version.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 17:28

dtpsprt wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 02:36
3* is mandatory for advanced auto mining for example. Two autominers operating in a sector will just saturate demand even to a standstill in less than 3 in game hours (even one can do it), making this whole thing senseless (especially in early game) because they will have barely make their buying price return. If they are able to trade in more sectors than one this does not happen and your initial investment turns out profits that you desperately need in early game (less than 1 game day).
I'm not saying it makes sense to lock ship commands to those seminar missions that i almost never do either. I'm saying no critical functionality is gone, and the game can be played well like this.
And that it seems to me that levelup chances increased since some recent patches. But i'll check time needed to gain the last 1/3* so i'll have some real numbers there soonish.

For this scenario you have to drop a storage module and a dock, and you will have 5* range in short time, plus you can buffer the collected stuff, trade it with npc ships, and sell with dedicated sales ships that suit sales role better then collection. So for many small buy offers you can use quick M ships and keep mining with Ls.

Nothing critical lost, and the 'official' solution is even better from management pov.
I wouldn't even have implemented any logic in the first place that allows infinite income just from a few clicks. Haven't used ATs much in X3, and i'd rather ES spends time on better logistics and station sales functionalities.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 17:58

Max Bain wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 15:26
Clownmug wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 15:16
The tiny nuances (strafing, steering, reaction time) are not worth the investment of non-passively training pilots. The L/XL ships usually just slow boat around targets at under 200 m/s and S/M ships get instagibbed out of sector unless SETA is turned on.
Thats exactly what I mean.
We need something that rewards the player to have 5 star captain in his destroyer or anything else. A simple solution could be to add hull points to the ship. So a
0 star has 100% hull,
1 star 120 %
2 stars 140%
3 stars 160%
4 stars 180%
5 stars 200%

or something like that. Sure its not realistic, but its a game and we have so many other unrealstic things that I prefer gameplay over realism here.
Nope. Nope nope nope nope nope. I would want to get rid of pilot skill altogether if it means we start going down that road.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 17:59

Max Bain wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 14:55
I edited my post because I realized too late that you compared 0 to 4 stars. I was more talking about 3+ stars. And I have seen the code and the values the stars effect and its not much. Formations, random behaviours and reaction times (which are very very small after 3 stars) so that the effect in combat cant be high in average. Because of the delay of about a full second for 0 star pilots this might be something else for low level pilots.
Not might, it's the whole difference and the real problem is the difficulty (or great delay if you want it) to get to 3 stars in the first place. We are not talking about perfectionists that would like all pilots to become, eventually, 5 stars.

I never let a pilot face a Xenon until he reaches 3 stars if he has the 2nd star. It has costed enough and taken time (especially building morale) to loose him on a "bad dice"... First he has to get 3 stars in piloting and at least 2 1/3 morale, then he can fight with the stakes on "even"...

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 18:17

pref wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 17:28

I'm not saying it makes sense to lock ship commands to those seminar missions that i almost never do either. I'm saying no critical functionality is gone, and the game can be played well like this.
And that it seems to me that levelup chances increased since some recent patches. But i'll check time needed to gain the last 1/3* so i'll have some real numbers there soonish.

For this scenario you have to drop a storage module and a dock, and you will have 5* range in short time, plus you can buffer the collected stuff, trade it with npc ships, and sell with dedicated sales ships that suit sales role better then collection. So for many small buy offers you can use quick M ships and keep mining with Ls.

Nothing critical lost, and the 'official' solution is even better from management pov.
I wouldn't even have implemented any logic in the first place that allows infinite income just from a few clicks. Haven't used ATs much in X3, and i'd rather ES spends time on better logistics and station sales functionalities.
It has marginally improved from 3.0. And most people (in the forum) just say "just make a station, the manager levels up quickly and you have your autotrading (short of)"...

Well... NO this is not the way, because you need money and a lot of searching around just to see where the resources to build the [m]damn[/b] station are. I had a playthrough that there was not even one Solar Energy station around the whole "Ring", finally found one in 18 Billion for God's shake. Total time to find it? 5 in game hours!!! that meant that I had to revisit all the other sectors to renew prices (start remember? you just have your own ship and a slow transport, if you do). Then, of course (start, remember again?), I could not hack blueprints and did not have any money to buy one or two the result was that I had to build a Solar Plant that it took some 1 day to pay back the investment (based on the scarcity of Solar Plants, which was also the idea of the AI factions that started building them at tremendous rates).

I'd strongly advise these "experts" to abandon their 400 hour games (better delete them) and try to start afresh. Then understand that the "learning curve" is exponential, so the difficulty they face is 10 times less than the difficulty of somebody with 100 hours in the game and 1000 times less than for someone with a mere 10 hour in the game (supposing he didn't quit disgusted by the tutorials, i.e. the "flight" tutorial does not tell you how to land!!!)

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 18:52

Falcrack wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 17:58
Max Bain wrote:
Clownmug wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 15:16
The tiny nuances (strafing, steering, reaction time) are not worth the investment of non-passively training pilots. The L/XL ships usually just slow boat around targets at under 200 m/s and S/M ships get instagibbed out of sector unless SETA is turned on.
We need something that rewards the player to have 5 star captain in his destroyer or anything else. A simple solution could be to add hull points to the ship. So a
0 star has 100% hull,
1 star 120 %
2 stars 140%
3 stars 160%
4 stars 180%
5 stars 200%

or something like that. Sure its not realistic, but its a game and we have so many other unrealstic things that I prefer gameplay over realism here.
Nope. Nope nope nope nope nope. I would want to get rid of pilot skill altogether if it means we start going down that road.
Do u have any arguments against it or is it just your opinion? What's the big difference to simulate the skill in a value like hit points instead of the range he can trade or the reaction time for a maneuver? The game is a simplification of so many other things that one more shouldn't really hurt especially if the actual system is so broken.

Many other games do this so it's well known and I would say none has a worse experience system than x4 (ok that is my opinion but the many threads show me that I am not alone)
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 19:17

dtpsprt wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 18:17
Well... NO this is not the way, because you need ...
Yes, a station requires relatively huge initial investment: blueprints, resources, ships, cash. For that you get "good ROI".

An auto-trader requires "just" a ship and "skilled" pilot. The ROI is not so great (compared to station). Getting the pilot is the topic of this thread.

Miners might be "cheaper" to get, yet more profitable than traders, so way better ROI.

A MOR[TM] (Manually Operated Remote Trader or Miner) requires only the ship. Any pilot will do. The ROI is up to your continuous herding, i.e. does not scale up much.

The question is: Are these / Must these be "balanced"? If yes, which is "off"?

If you intend to play without stations, then does it matter if stations are off the scale?

On top of those you have combat vessels that do not make much credits themselves, but can be necessary and/or fun. They are a mere cost that eatss profitss, say the Teladi.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 20:07

Max Bain wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 18:52
Falcrack wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 17:58
Max Bain wrote:

0 star has 100% hull,
1 star 120 %
2 stars 140%
3 stars 160%
4 stars 180%
5 stars 200%

Do u have any arguments against it or is it just your opinion? What's the big difference to simulate the skill in a value like hit points instead of the range he can trade or the reaction time for a maneuver? The game is a simplification of so many other things that one more shouldn't really hurt especially if the actual system is so broken.

Many other games do this so it's well known and I would say none has a worse experience system than x4 (ok that is my opinion but the many threads show me that I am not alone)
My reasons are that I have encountered this sort of mechanic in many other games, and I dislike it in each of them. One of my all time favorite games, Supreme Commander, had a veterency system where unit could gain veterency through kills, and I liked the game in spite of this mechanic, definitely not because of it. You could have a rampaging experimental unit killing enemies, gaining HP faster than you could kill it because of the jump in HP every time it killed enough stuff. It led to people suiciding low tier units rather than "feeding xp" to the rampaging experimental.

If you want to have pilot skill tied to increased weapons accuracy, that would be okay IMO. But having a skilled pilot should not magically make the hull any more sturdy than if a noob pilot is in command.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 20:15

dtpsprt wrote:
Well... NO this is not the way, because you need money and a lot of searching around just to see where the resources to build the damn station are.
Yes, and i support having to discover the market and think about an investment. And having to care for that investment later on vs just making cash without a second thought.
Right here it comes out why stations aren't such a fire-and-forget cashcows as ATs are.

If ES decided to lock ATs behind high requirements and make them as effective as AI in tatertrader was when i last tried, then that's fine for me. Then they can earn a mill in a single run so they do what they are supposed to do, and not spoil game start by throwing even more cash at the player.
And there had been 10fold cries about the game being too easy compared to this thing with pilot skills.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 21:35

Falcrack wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 20:07
My reasons are that I have encountered this sort of mechanic in many other games, and I dislike it in each of them. One of my all time favorite games, Supreme Commander, had a veterency system where unit could gain veterency through kills, and I liked the game in spite of this mechanic, definitely not because of it. You could have a rampaging experimental unit killing enemies, gaining HP faster than you could kill it because of the jump in HP every time it killed enough stuff. It led to people suiciding low tier units rather than "feeding xp" to the rampaging experimental.

If you want to have pilot skill tied to increased weapons accuracy, that would be okay IMO. But having a skilled pilot should not magically make the hull any more sturdy than if a noob pilot is in command.
Hey thats one of my favorite games too :D.
And now I do understand your point, but X4 could implement it way better. For example you wouldnt instant get the hit points but only increase the maximum possible amount, so you first have to repair the ship to make the skill count (wait for auto repair or dock).

You cant connect skill with accuracy of weapons because this will make weapons either too good or bad. Accuracy is a very important individual value for weapons if you want to keep a rock paper scissor weapon system with anti fighter weapons and stuff like that. It is also nearly impossible to balance the changes of a variable accuracy value. What if an artillery will become so accurate that it works as a anti fighter weapon? Or what if a fighter with zero stars cant hit anything because of the low accuracy of his gun?
The skill needs to effect a very simple value like Hit Points or maybe damage.

For me if a ship takes more damage it means something like in Star Trek where the crew can work better on damage control and therefore can withstand more damage than if you have total noobs on your ship.

Axeface wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 16:17
Could be a trait called Avoidance? -50% damage received for 5 star pilots (for S ships, less for detroyers). I also suggested in my wishlist thread that skilled crew could actually have events tied to their skill. Engineers shunt power to shields when they go down sometimes, instantly recharging some shield, pilots could have events where they ignore a hit that would otherwise kill them? Like the shot hits but because they are skilled they manage to make it 'glance', could be tied to a cool animation like a little jig or barrel roll.
These things could go in a new category below mods in ship details 'Crew traits'.

Edit: Thinking more about it. What if avoidance was a trait that changed depending on the type of ship the captain is in. In S ships it should give the captain a chance to entirely evade shots and in L/XL give damage reduction. M ships could be special and have a mix of Reduction and Avoidance. This would really help OOS disparity for fighters, In sector the avoidance could be coupled with a movement or a sound, sometimes they could even call out "Not this time!". Or could it even make shots that are avoided just not hit the target ship? Turn off the collision for those shots so they just pass through? (this would only work AI vs AI for obvious reasons).

S ships:- 0, 10, 20, 40, 60, 80% chance to avoid fire (implies pilot is good at evasive maneuvering)
M ships:- 0, 6, 12, 18, 24, 30% of both avoidance and damage reduction (Implies M ships are tough and can evade)
L/XL:- 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25% damage reduction (implies good crews and pilots are able to survive combat where bad crews cant).

Would performance of a feature like this be non-negligible?
I like the first part with damage reduction, but if a shot hits a target it should always take damage. It would feel not good other way.
Last edited by Max Bain on Mon, 21. Sep 20, 22:26, edited 2 times in total.
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

pittlebelge
x4

Post by pittlebelge » Mon, 21. Sep 20, 22:13

I like the idea if having special abilities linked to the skill of a crew. But whatever system is put in place, it needs to be explained clearly to the player in the actual game. The thing that bug me the most with the present system is how little information is accessible outside of these forums.

Effects of stars ? The game says it's good to have more, but never how good. I don't even have an in-game explanation of the orders that are unlocked by higher stars captain. For example, as a noob, it's hard to guess the exact behavior that a "Distribute wares" order will entail.

How to get the stars ? That is even more cryptic, I had to see a post here (I don't remember who posted it, sorry) to understand that certain actions would simply never level my captains up to three stars.

I know that it's par for the course, I had to go through hours of youtube tutorial to get started in X3, but I think it's fair to expect improvement.

I love this game, it tries things that no others even dare, but we are still at the 600 grit polish.

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 00:37

jlehtone wrote:
Mon, 21. Sep 20, 19:17
dtpsprt wrote:
Well... NO this is not the way, because you need ...
Yes, a station requires relatively huge initial investment: blueprints, resources, ships, cash. For that you get "good ROI".
Well to be fair, that initial investment does not need to be a 500m station. You can get started simply by building a 3M6S dock and storage. That does not even cost a million credits. You do not need to assign a ship to stations at all and they would still run fine (you really only need them if you have bigger stations or for wharfs because of consumption/production rates). In fact you can also get away with quite big stations without having to assign ships. If the stations need mineable resources, it’s probably best to assign some miners.

So the initial investment to get a station up and running, fully automated, is barely above of a ships cost with some equipment. You do not need To buy any blueprints (the game gives you some) to get a station running. With the trade station example, all you need is docks, storage and some thinking about the wares you add and the prices (which you would also do if you set up an auto trader). The game also gives you a 10M freebee ready to collect within about 15min.

Also there is only little difference between an auto trader and such a trade stations. Yes the trade station takes the extra building time (which is automated) and a little bit more credits to assign at least a ship. It has the same range limitations like the auto trader and it has a static position and cannot move to another location. Besides that, fully automated and does exactly what an auto trader would do without any skill requirements. The manager will also level up in no time to get the full 5 gates range.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 03:53

rene6740 wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 00:37

Well to be fair, that initial investment does not need to be a 500m station. You can get started simply by building a 3M6S dock and storage. That does not even cost a million credits. You do not need to assign a ship to stations at all and they would still run fine (you really only need them if you have bigger stations or for wharfs because of consumption/production rates). In fact you can also get away with quite big stations without having to assign ships. If the stations need mineable resources, it’s probably best to assign some miners.
I'm not talking about 500 mil. The 3M6S Dock you say has a blueprint of 600+K (you start with 5K and 1M5S right? Or maybe 10K if you get the incest monkey/Val Seldon start), then some 1 mil to build it with only a 25K container storage. The only production you get "for free" is Energy which sells dirt cheap, and it has a "price tag" of some 400K to build it (too much Claytronics needed).
rene6740 wrote:

So the initial investment to get a station up and running, fully automated, is barely above of a ships cost with some equipment. You do not need To buy any blueprints (the game gives you some) to get a station running. With the trade station example, all you need is docks, storage and some thinking about the wares you add and the prices (which you would also do if you set up an auto trader). The game also gives you a 10M freebee ready to collect within about 15min.
Again, as above, what blueprints? What kind of station are you going to build with these? OK, you can put 4-5 small container storages to reach 100K storage space to what use? You still need to buy an M Transport to put stuff inside, you still need money to buy resources to build it, money to buy the stuff you'll be selling, even money to buy the plot!!! When are you going to get all these back?

Next, enlighten the noobie here (just 3000 hours in game) WHERE is that 10 M freebie that he hasn't found out yet? And I don't want to hear about crystal mining, that even the crystal mining fanatics are complaining that it has been nerfed OK? Unless you can capture an SCA Behemoth all by yourself repair it and sell it to the shipyard!!!
rene6740 wrote:
Also there is only little difference between an auto trader and such a trade stations. Yes the trade station takes the extra building time (which is automated) and a little bit more credits to assign at least a ship. It has the same range limitations like the auto trader and it has a static position and cannot move to another location. Besides that, fully automated and does exactly what an auto trader would do without any skill requirements. The manager will also level up in no time to get the full 5 gates range.
As opposed to just the ship: No time wasting to gather build materials and for the Builder to build, then gather goods and then go and sell right? Putting the initial millions (at best 2) aside we are talking real life hours of gameplay.

Please DO NOT mislead people, or troll...

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 07:55

Maybe you can use your HQ, take some cheap S fighter with small cargo and buy/sell energy cells to skill pilots :gruebel: :gruebel:

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 10:14

I ... I was thinking of "a factory". Not a "trade depot". Yes, minimal depot is far easier to build than a factory. However, a depot with no ships sounds quite limited, both in margin and throughput.
dtpsprt wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 03:53
Next, enlighten the noobie here (just 3000 hours in game) WHERE is that 10 M freebie that he hasn't found out yet?

It did not look like trolling. It is rather natural to assume that every "noobie" reads through the Spoilers Forum first "to get going", particularly when every place points out the shape of the learning curve of these games.

There is of course a minority that like "the hard way", avoid spoilers more than covid-19, and ignore all freebies.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 11:50

dtpsprt wrote:
As opposed to just the ship: No time wasting to gather build materials and for the Builder to build, then gather goods and then go and sell right? Putting the initial millions (at best 2) aside we are talking real life hours of gameplay.
Not millions & not all that many hours either. Just loaded up one of the earliest saves I've got for my current game. Within less than 3 hours of the start had got the PHQ & was already building docks & storage. Building costs were less than 500k, even with prices set to max (apparently I was in a hurry). At the time this was to hold stuff for the Boron's research projects, but would function perfectly well as a trade station. Indeed that's precisely what I did with the place when all the research was concluded.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 16:53

jlehtone wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 10:14
I ... I was thinking of "a factory". Not a "trade depot". Yes, minimal depot is far easier to build than a factory. However, a depot with no ships sounds quite limited, both in margin and throughput.
dtpsprt wrote:
Next, enlighten the noobie here (just 3000 hours in game) WHERE is that 10 M freebie that he hasn't found out yet?

It did not look like trolling. It is rather natural to assume that every "noobie" reads through the Spoilers Forum first "to get going", particularly when every place points out the shape of the learning curve of these games.

There is of course a minority that like "the hard way", avoid spoilers more than covid-19, and ignore all freebies.
Take a "walk"on Steam Forum, there you will find the noobies... they don't know anything about the Egosoft Forum, don't bother to look here cause they know (or think, no difference) it's full of "Egosoft admirers" (not my words) and they will not get an unbiased advise and guidance, just like any other official forum. They even post the bugs they find there...

P.S. Still waiting for my 10 M freebie... lol...

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 17:09

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 11:50
dtpsprt wrote:
Not millions & not all that many hours either. Just loaded up one of the earliest saves I've got for my current game. Within less than 3 hours of the start had got the PHQ & was already building docks & storage. Building costs were less than 500k, even with prices set to max (apparently I was in a hurry). At the time this was to hold stuff for the Boron's research projects, but would function perfectly well as a trade station. Indeed that's precisely what I did with the place when all the research was concluded.
Yes... the PHQ can be a "fast srart" in a way, after you have finished enough research (at least the 25K Container Storage holds the first two steps of Teleportation and the "minor" researches, so you can start hacking blueprints)... but if you noticed I was "responding" to a post advising a 3M5S dock to begin, which is not in the "standard" packet of blueprints and if you do not have finished Dock research in the PHQ costs 600 to almost 700K as blueprint alone, of course, building it is more expensive than the 1M6S too...

Still the noobie needs to fund this research going blindfolded ahead... The "crucial" point in your answer is Just loaded up one of the earliest saves I've got for my current game. I'm talking about the "little guy" who just started the game and does not have infinite time, due to work etc... Not yours or mine 3000 hours in...

BTW it would be really interesting if there could be a contest for the fastest "build up" to the point that it's all just money and time (where I usually leave my games loosing most of the interest in them). Or specific ones... like Finish Fires of Defeat without shooting one ZYA ship...

P.S. Still waiting a hint for the 10 M freebie (not mining crystals)...

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 19:09

dtpsprt wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 17:09
I'm talking about the "little guy" who just started the game and does not have infinite time, due to work etc... Not yours or mine 3000 hours in...

As you've already pointed out yourself, there are people (like me), that have a full time job and don't have time to respond all day. So you gotta keep practicing being more patient. That being said, you asked question and i will answer:

dtpsprt wrote:
rene6740 wrote:

I'm not talking about 500 mil. The 3M6S Dock you say has a blueprint of 600+K (you start with 5K and 1M5S right? Or maybe 10K if you get the incest monkey/Val Seldon start), then some 1 mil to build it with only a 25K container storage. The only production you get "for free" is Energy which sells dirt cheap, and it has a "price tag" of some 400K to build it (too much Claytronics needed).
Well guess i didn't remembered well regarding the 3M6S dock. Yes you're right, you do not have that blueprint from the beginning. You do have the 1M6S dock which is more than enough. Will it bottleneck? Probably at some point. Bus as you start you don't have many ships anyway.

dtpsprt wrote:
rene6740 wrote:

Again, as above, what blueprints? What kind of station are you going to build with these? OK, you can put 4-5 small container storages to reach 100K storage space to what use? You still need to buy an M Transport to put stuff inside, you still need money to buy resources to build it, money to buy the stuff you'll be selling, even money to buy the plot!!! When are you going to get all these back?
A 1M6S dock and a small container storage costs ~350k. That's enough to start a trading station by simply adding wares to logical overview. A Demeter Sentinel at minimum loadout costs ~370k. So that is a total of ~ 720k for the station and a trader. For comparison: a medium loadout Demeter Sentinel with no rep costs ~741k. Technically you do not need to assign any ships to that station to make profits (Yes ofc you should add some ships). Either start with a few S ships (~100k each) or a single M ship. You also do not need 100k Storage. The 100k storage will only waste money, because the manager tries to fill the storage and your traders are most likely just buying stuff. Wares in storage is just a waste of money.

As for the plot cost, you do not need to pay for it. If you do the HQ missions you already got a plot that can be used. Otherwise you can build in neutral sectors. Nopileos Fortune is a great one, because it reaches all Shipyards/Wharfs (except ZYA/FRF) within its 5 Gate range. You got 3 in 3 Gates range (PAR, ALI and HOP). By the way, a plot can be as cheap as 64k (that's basically a single mission). You do not need to put it in front of gates and highways...

PS: I do not argue about having money to buy resources to sell, because an auto trader would also need that. So we are looking at ~350k more costs to actually build the station. Let it be 420k if you also buy the plot. A 3* pilot costs how much if you happen to find one? Can't tell because i never found a 3* Star pilot on a station, but they probably cost more than that.

dtpsprt wrote:
Next, enlighten the noobie here (just 3000 hours in game) WHERE is that 10 M freebie that he hasn't found out yet? And I don't want to hear about crystal mining, that even the crystal mining fanatics are complaining that it has been nerfed OK? Unless you can capture an SCA Behemoth all by yourself repair it and sell it to the shipyard!!!
I don't like crystal mining and only did it once at release. It's boring and i do not care about it, although it would still be a viable option to get early funding. All you have to do is, to do a simple mission to get some credits (you have at least 5k from the start) or alternatively start the HQ plot and get ~120k, fly to a wharf and get a marine. Then you can simply fly to faulty logic and capture that Odysseus Vanguard, fly it back to the next shipyard, strip equipment and sell the hull. That's about 10M. If you do the first few HQ missions you're also rewarded a Gorgon/Cerberus that can be sold for at least 1M? That will cover the station cost and the cost a single M Trader to get going.

If you don't know about this then just do some missions. The deploy satellites and resource probes missions are super easy, you got the probes and satellites for free, and they give you about 30-60K per missions. Remember if you wanna set up traders, you'll also need to get money to buy those somehow.

dtpsprt wrote:
rene6740 wrote:
Well as i said, building is fully automated. You just transfer build budget and you do not have to do anything. In the meantime, while the station is building, which does not take that long at all, you can do other things. Like exploring sectors and stations to trade with or doing some mission to gather credits to actually by a trader. I just don't sit in front of my monitor and waiting for resources to arrive and have it finish building before doing anything else. And i do think, that other people would also do other things in the meantime. Don't know where you get your 2M budget from, because as stated above i'm even under 1M.

dtpsprt wrote:
Where exactly did i mislead people or troll? My whole point i was trying to explain was: A station as simple as docks and storage, is not that much more expensive than an auto trader. It is available from the first second of a new game start. It does not require a 3* pilot to basically do the same thing, with the downside being that the station is locked in place. Yes a trading station with only very few traders won't make you the richest guy in the shortest amount of time. But an auto trader won't make you rich either.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 22:30

rene6740 wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 19:09
dtpsprt wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 17:09
I'm talking about the "little guy" who just started the game and does not have infinite time, due to work etc... Not yours or mine 3000 hours in...

Where exactly did i mislead people or troll? My whole point i was trying to explain was: A station as simple as docks and storage, is not that much more expensive than an auto trader. It is available from the first second of a new game start. It does not require a 3* pilot to basically do the same thing, with the downside being that the station is locked in place. Yes a trading station with only very few traders won't make you the richest guy in the shortest amount of time. But an auto trader won't make you rich either.
rene6740 wrote:
Tue, 22. Sep 20, 19:09

I don't like crystal mining and only did it once at release. It's boring and i do not care about it, although it would still be a viable option to get early funding. All you have to do is, to do a simple mission to get some credits (you have at least 5k from the start) or alternatively start the HQ plot and get ~120k, fly to a wharf and get a marine. Then you can simply fly to faulty logic and capture that Odysseus Vanguard, fly it back to the next shipyard, strip equipment and sell the hull. That's about 10M. If you do the first few HQ missions you're also rewarded a Gorgon/Cerberus that can be sold for at least 1M? That will cover the station cost and the cost a single M Trader to get going.
That's exactly where. When you talk about how easy it is and a 10 M freebie this is what you mean, absolutely "omitting" that there is no way in hell for the starter ship to survive in Faulty Logic, even as early as 20 mins into the game.

And no, it will take a good 1 game hour (at best) to get the HQ to appear (having used the majority of the Boron's money to buy the sacrificial lamb for the mission, or, accidentally - we are still talking newbies here - to "stumble" on the Hatikvah mission to get the free Callisto so he can put the starter ship to death for the PHQ, that's another at least half an hour btw, the first part of the Hatikvah mission).

P.S. The "troll" part was after an or OK? But definitely you have forgotten what it is to be new in the game... Out of personal experience, and with over 5000 hours in each and every of the previous X games, it took me 3 new starts (in case I have broken/rejected something) and, in total, 20 appearances of the Boron before I could find where in that hideous UI was the accept button to continue with the PHQ mission in the first place (used in the elegance and functionality of previous X games that did not block the whole screen to offer a mission, or display the map)

Return to “X4: Foundations”