We need to have this conversation about the Kha'ak (WISHLIST)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Raevyan
x4

Re: We need to have this conversation about the Kha'ak (WISHLIST)

Post by Raevyan » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 11:42

Y-llian wrote:
Wed, 16. Sep 20, 03:16
Falcrack wrote:
Sun, 13. Sep 20, 21:42
I think Kha'ak should spawn from wormholes/anomalies. It would make finding these wormholes and guarding them appropriately a worthwhile thing.
I’ve suggested this myself. Oddly, in another Kha’ak thread... I would prefer the Xenon and Kha’ak use anomalies over the encounters mechanism. It feels more in keeping with the established fabric of the X4 universe with no jump drives etc. Overall, the warp anomalies are an underused mechanic and I’d hazard that players rarely, if ever, use them beyond an initial foray or two in their early adventures.
Back in Freelancer those anomalies did serve a purpose. Often times it was a shortcut to get to the other side of the universe but sometimes they were the only way to actually get to certain sectors. Anomalies are another feature no one ever bothers with except for the one you have to take to do the HQ plot.

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 12:56

rene6740 wrote:
Wed, 16. Sep 20, 11:42

Back in Freelancer those anomalies did serve a purpose. Often times it was a shortcut to get to the other side of the universe but sometimes they were the only way to actually get to certain sectors. Anomalies are another feature no one ever bothers with except for the one you have to take to do the HQ plot.
Ah, Freelancer - fun days...

I would be in favour of having the Kha'ak stations (the one's that are currently indestructible) exist in their own sector, reachable only thorough an anomaly, rather than seeded in current sectors. This also feels more in keeping with game lore where Kha'ak sectors have existed "off grid" so to speak. Players can then try and search for this sector which might be an interesting goal in itself. However, only the Kha'ak are able to navigate the anomalies with ease because their insect biology offers them that ability. The other races, and by extension the player, cannot do this with the same ease - having neither the technology nor physiology for it. Each player anomaly jump will have a chance of encountering the Kha'ak sector but its more likely you'll be spit out somewhere randomly - sort of like trying to navigate an unstable wormhole...

I'm not proposing we resurrect them - others are right that the Kha'ak are now a defeated people - their focus should be on survival. And their anomaly excursions are just that, a hunt for materials - which need not be simulated. Their presence alone already gives that impression... Besides, Ego has stated that they are not looking to make them a threat again in the same vain as X3 nor will they be given their own economy like the Xenon - at least that's how I understood it.

This suggestion is merely to give the anomalies a wider purpose, make the Kha'ak more interesting, and a little more lore focused while offering more opportunities for the player. It should also avoid the Kha'ak stations acting like gravitational black holes trapping NPC fleets in never ending battles.
Last edited by Y-llian on Wed, 16. Sep 20, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Wed, 16. Sep 20, 13:28

Before any more effort will be put into khaak, we seriously need to talk about a face lift. They simply look like from a game of 2000. And no, even a simple shape is not an excuse (just compare a borg cube or sphere).
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Return to “X4: Foundations”