Why can some dock orders not be removed?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LameFox
x4

Why can some dock orders not be removed?

Post by LameFox » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 01:45

Sometimes I really want a ship to stop docking, usually because it's too bad at landing to complete the order and I'd rather make it try again than wait to see if it ever happens. But when I try to remove all orders, nothing happens. When I try to remove it from the list of orders manually, nothing happens. It's just stuck there and this is a new start so I can't even teleport in and stop this idiot pilot myself.

Is this a bug? Why would any order ever NEED to be carried out no matter what? I've even had ships die due to this because they were attacked and would not abandon a docking attempt.

Now I have to go out in my space suit and fix it.
***modified***

Ehli
x4

Re: Why can some dock orders not be removed?

Post by Ehli » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 11:55

I read from a dev on this forum the actions tagged with "critical" (e.g. docking/undocking and eqp change) cannot be cancelled as it would be hard to resolve the state / roll back the action. As a dev myself I read this as a technical limitation, which I can understand completely. Especially when other actions or decissions were already made by the engine based on your action.

LameFox
x4

Re: Why can some dock orders not be removed?

Post by LameFox » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 15:26

If there's truly nothing they can do about the order at that point, as far as I'm concerned it should then be out of the AI's hands. Scoop the ship up and make sure it docks no matter what. No manoeuvring around indefinitely or until death, just vacuumed into the ship/station. The alternative is far too unreliable.

However I can't help but think there must be some way to remove the order, because if I kick off the pilot nothing terrible will happen and I can then remove all orders from the ship. So there's already a way that it occurs. All I want is for that to happen without me having to go over there and wait for the pilot to casually walk off and back.
***modified***

Return to “X4: Foundations”