General questions and tactics

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Kosta88

Post by Kosta88 » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 12:49

Hello,

I have some question about attacking:
For instance, as an Argon, I am trying to improve standing with Split, so I am in their sectors, and now apparently there are ARG capital ships there attacking Split stations.
Can I attack Argon ships in Split sectors without suffering Argon reputation?
Last edited by Kosta88 on Sun, 20. Sep 20, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

Ehli
x4

Re: War tactics

Post by Ehli » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 12:55

No, you will suffer ARG rep loss. Best is to hunt Xenon near their stations or shoot criminal traffic in your case.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 17:26

If you have a high rep then yes, i recently killed 20 capships of a faction with 20+rep, and i ended up with less then a 10 point drop iirc.

Make sure to destroy only the ships, not any surface elements/drones/LTs because all destruction events bring a similar drop. Or do it OOS with high enough firepower so your ships kill it fast. Though that wont work too well for rep, but you can still jump in to make the last few shots. Also do the kill close to a station otherwise there is no rep gain i think.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 18:02

Is it "war" when Argon kills Argon, or just "criminal activity"? :goner:

Either way, kin of victims dislike the kill no matter where you do it. (Not sure what those "distress beacons" are.)
A kill near station can be virtue or crime, depending on how the station sees the victim.

I see only two ways to "balance" factions:
  • Keep them both "strong", i.e. economically support the weaker. That is laborious
  • Keep them both "weak" (trivial level of weak is "dead"). That requires beating the stronger
If you can't do the former, then you have to resort to the latter.

As said, a "Hero of Federation" can afford some mistakes. Selectively kill and then regain your Argon reputation elsewhere. Rinse and repeat.

Alas, there is no real "diplomatic" option; no way to be Palpatine and just pull strings. :cry:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 21:18

jlehtone wrote:
Sat, 19. Sep 20, 18:02
Alas, there is no real "diplomatic" option; no way to be Palpatine and just pull strings. :cry:
Well, you could always build a shipyard in AP and sell only to HOP and ZYA. Not really diplomatic but definitely string pulling :D

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 21:41

That counts as "economic support" to me.

To "pull a string" would be to point to HOP that now is the time to strike ARG, for ARG fleet is far away.
Then tell ARG that HOP attack is imminent and they really should pull their fleet back from ZYA space. Now.

All true and advice is "free of charge". :roll:

Kosta88

Post by Kosta88 » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 23:25

jlehtone wrote:
Ah damn, and I so hoped to be the chosen one :o

Kosta88

Post by Kosta88 » Sat, 19. Sep 20, 23:28

pref wrote:
Sat, 19. Sep 20, 21:18
jlehtone wrote:
Well, you could always build a shipyard in AP and sell only to HOP and ZYA. Not really diplomatic but definitely string pulling :D
Ooohhh I like the idea! I just finished my self sustaining wharf, which is awesome by the way... I am building ships like on the assembly line, and still getting billions lol. Cost seems to be somewhere 550mil. It's insane. I stopped selling to Argon, and still incoming money. And I just might load the whole plot again somewhere else... maybe AP ;-)

Now about to build my Raptors and Rattlesnakes, and it doesn't yammer that I don't have enough resources :D

However, it took 2days+ on SETA to build it. Insane.

Another questions though:
If I put some tracking turrets on the carriers and destroyers, where/how do they resupply from the aux-ships? Fighters dock I guess, but big ones? Drones? Magic?
Also, is there a way for aux-ship to be resupplied by traders, for instance? Or does it have to fly from station to station and buy goods? Otherwise it would be kind of mobile station, if I could supply it with traders, which go and pick up the goods...

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 01:23

L/XL can dock to aux ships.
And you can assign traders for them, just pick some strong ships as they might do trade runs during battle.

Kosta88

Post by Kosta88 » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 01:32

So just merely assigning as "Trade" will make traders find wares that are missing? Because that didn't work out... they were just sitting there...

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 02:31

For me yes.
The commander's automatic resupply setting matters though, if it's off or you don't miss enough wares for the threshold according to that setting they won't trade.
Also a trade offer needs to be in range and according to the price setting.

Kosta88

Post by Kosta88 » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 02:53

OK, I must have done something wrong the first time. Now it seems to be working.
Can the same be done for the Raptor? It has the same ability, however I cannot set the trade function.

Kosta88

Post by Kosta88 » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 10:56

Eehhmmmmmmmmmm, are NPC really THAT stupid???

I am building myself a fleet, like filling up my Raptor, 10 Rattlesnakes etc... just for fun...
And I want them to protect the gate while I remain busy with building.
I created the fleet, I gave the Raptor order to protect position, with 4km radius.
Why the hell are Rattlesnakes flying outside of the radius, completely without any sense, flying around like crazy...? I didn't tell them to Patrol, they are assigned to Attack group.
I already noticed very bad behavior as I had a single Cerberus and two Eclipses...

What's about that? Am I doing something wrong or is NPC really that stupid? I mean, my pilots are newbies, but would it get better if they had more stars??

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 11:12

More * means they react faster on dreads and can do more and better manouvers, formations, trading/mining extensions.

I once set a noob against a typical Xenon group (1xP, 2xM) into an S fighter-he died, but the 3* pilot won. (IS)

Kosta88

Post by Kosta88 » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 12:14

Okay, thanks.

Another problem: In Nopileos Sector I have my huge station.
Now there are ANT, HOP and ZYA in here, fighting one another, and my station is taking collateral damage.

What can I do about this? I already stopped the ship production to other factions, now that I have billions...

jlehtone
x4

Re: General questions and tactics

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 13:20

Kosta88 wrote:
Sun, 20. Sep 20, 12:14
Now there are ANT, HOP and ZYA in here, fighting one another, and my station is taking collateral damage.
Are you in the sector? I thought that there is no "friendly fire" OOS.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 13:25

Maybe your station turrets responded to collateral damage?
----GL, maybe its the beginning of a war

Kosta88

Post by Kosta88 » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 15:19

Yeah, I am in the sector. Should I not be? I'll see what happens OOS.

There were no turrets yet on the station, they are being built now - I do wonder though after reading this if it's a wise decision.

Kosta88

Post by Kosta88 » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 20:26

Holy sh*t... can I just please say that Raptor is just... ermm.. sick... I got it nearly filled, but the sheer amount of power this thing carries. I have a feeling you don't need anything else once you have it. Having a 2-3 fleets of those fully loaded, and you are virtually unstoppable? Or does it only look like that? Of course supported by some Rattlesnakes, he's not alone :D
I filled it with mix of fighters, some beam some lance/thermal.disintegrator mix, and some 30 S/M heavy torpedo ships only to blow any K/I/Station that comes in the way. Supported by two Monitors.
Makes sense?
Now that I have that, I am going against Xenon, cleaning up sectors. In the meantime I am producing additional fleets, would any of the factions want to "disturb" peace...

Kosta88

Post by Kosta88 » Tue, 22. Sep 20, 00:05

OK, again stuck a bit:
I have couple of bomber squadrons. They are Chimeras loaded with heavy torpedoes and 5 launchers. They are supported by heavy fighters as protection, but the idea is to use the bombers for single runs with maximum damage. As in send them to a K or I, they shoot each 5 torps, and return. Or maybe 2nd... is that supposed to work? Because I just got whupped, twice...

And then there's this: why do my Rattlesnakes always rush in front of the carriers? They are in the "solo" wing, set to Attack, but carriers are not attacking... the command is "Fly to...".

Return to “X4: Foundations”