What to do First?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

wrmiller
x4

What to do First?

Post by wrmiller » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 02:31

I have completed the first training mission (flight) and have even go to a couple of adjacent hexagons. But my 'home' base has no missions that I can see. So what do I do now? I'd like to upgrade my ship, but am unsure how to make credits in this game. (and I thought Elite Dangerous was obscure)

Thanks in advance for any/all help.
Alienware Aurora R10: AMD Ryzen 7 5800, 128GB DDR4 system memory, AMD RX 6800 XT 16GB, Warthog HOTAS, VKB pedals, trackIR

negarnex
x4

Re: What to do First?

Post by negarnex » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 02:49

Enable a filter in top right of the map view that shows mission signs on the map, those aren't sometimes shown in missions tab IME.
Buy a mineral miner and send it to mine nividium or silicon for initial money boost.
Miners are great to kickstart your economy.
I suppose you can hack stations to make them drop their cargo if you have a consumable decryption system and then collect those with a freighter.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 03:07

I HIGHLY recommend you buy a Miner (Mineral) first off. There are a few reasons this is critical. Early in the game the stations have some resources - once you find a Wharf and can afford a Miner it can probably be built. However shortly there will start to be shortages until the economy gets going - in that lull it is hard to buy ships. The other reason why this is an awesome thing to start with is that once you start feeding Ore into the economy, those shortages may not happen. Get up to 3 Ore miners then 1 gas miner (Methane). Once Ore and Methane are being resourced the game gets the Refined Minerals and Graphene production going and then builds Hull Parts and the slow down doesn't happen! Also, miners are a great passive income source early! (I do recommend getting some passive income going before you start upgrading your personal ship. Once you have background income you can just do anything you want!).

In order to build up money to get a miner you have a lot of options. You can go off in search of crystals (look up how). You can straight up start trading (this will take forever in your tiny cargo hold - depending). But personally I scan stations for missions - only take the transport missions, you get about $40K per pop to transport dudes around the sector.

There are some handy mods that can help here. Here's my short list:
- Leak Hunting Made Less Aweful (makes it easier to find those transport missions! I haven't tried this one yet, I use Signal Leak Hunter but it is slighly broken since 3.0)
- Sector Satellites - Makes it so your satellites (drop one in every sector) has visibility of prices sector wide
- Sector Explorer - a ship command to make your pilots explore for you
- Learn All the Things - makes your crew and pilots learn skills a bit faster from doing actions
- Increased Long Range Scanner - exactly what it says - full sector scans from your Shift-3 scan mode
- Various NPCs - makes there be more NPCs in the stations
- Better Scan Colors - if you like scanning stations for discounts and for additional info from Logical view
- TaterTrader - a better autotrader with more options

hxsgame
x4

Post by hxsgame » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 03:13

in my opinion, X4 provides many mechanisms, through which you can design your own gameplay.

It's like Lego bricks in a way~

First, you need to have a general understanding of these mechanisms, such as from here, through the wiki (recommend), or the in-game encyclopedia.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 03:18

The training mission is just that. Training. Best thing to do is to start one of the scenarios.
The way I see it (3000 hrs on record) there are two "easy" starts, the Paranid one which start you in a good sector and the Spear of the Patriarch which may make you enemy with Argon, but you start in totally friendly territory, where you can expand. In both cases you start with a ship that is worth it's salt and worth improving and keeping it.
My personal advise (easiest start) is the Paranid. Search for Data Vaults, there is one near the point you start and two more in adjascent systems. Each one will give you about 200K cash plus goodies. Also in your starting sector (after you have gotten the cash) you can start the PHQ mission, a prerequisite for any storyline (except the Hatikvah one) to progress and also offer you a good corvette (you'll have to be in a ship with a pilot so he can point it out) and a means to get some good improvements for you (like Teleportation) and your ship.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 08:43

Best start is to fly around stations scan the Dataleak and make the HQ Plot.-When the boron makes a journey look out for a free Corvette.
Ocassionaly open loot boxes and sell the stuff.
Once you have the HQ, expand it with Expetitions Modules-20h Missions will give you some millions every day.
Last edited by EGO_Aut on Sun, 20. Sep 20, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.

R_tp
x4

Post by R_tp » Sun, 20. Sep 20, 08:44

1. Go crystal mining in argon prime
2. Buy a mineral miner send it to second contact flashpoint to mine nvidium
3. Get a scout send it to explore while you mine some more crystals
4. Start PHQ and finish it

Aftere the second crystal mining trip you should have a cuouple of millions and from there go any route you want.

Personally i go the capping SCA destroyers route (gorgon armed 3 torpedoes launchers for main, bolt for taking surface elements 24 Marines). Takes a bit of practice but with it u can cap any destroyer with ease (well except rattlesnakes those usually have 50+ marines defending).

Return to “X4: Foundations”