4.00 Public Beta now available

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

avilonrayne
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by avilonrayne » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 07:29

Question about one of the beta features. Does "Added ability to store weapon mode and ammo settings with saved loadouts and apply them in ship build/upgrade process" possibly extend to resupply? Can we finally choose which missiles get restocked?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 10:32

avilonrayne wrote:
Sun, 29. Nov 20, 07:29
Question about one of the beta features. Does "Added ability to store weapon mode and ammo settings with saved loadouts and apply them in ship build/upgrade process" possibly extend to resupply? Can we finally choose which missiles get restocked?
Yes. :)

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 12:50

During the public beta of the 4.00 update, which starts today, you will still be able to log into the game with your forum username in the usual way. However, when the finished 4.00 update is publicly released in the first quarter of 2021, it will become mandatory to login using your e-mail address.
Please note that those who use modified clients to play X4: Foundations will no longer have access to their online account in-game.
Ok, this isn`t why I originally bought tthe WHOLE package about 2 years ago. I don`t like what looks liek a bait and switch where I cannot get a refund. This is sounding like Elite`s policy even when playing Solo. There`s a reason why I get my games from GOG. I am beginning to regret giving Egosoft a chance and my money. I wantt a game I can play OFFLINE without needing to go Online to do it.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding it. I`ll be watching carefully to see exactly what this means in practise.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 13:00

I think you have indeed misunderstood it. Nowhere in that text does it say that you have to login to play your game offline, and we have no plans to make that mandatory. Perhaps you were confused by the explanation that the login method is changing (from username to email address) for those who do wish to do so.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 13:03

Socratatus wrote:
Tue, 1. Dec 20, 12:50
During the public beta of the 4.00 update, which starts today, you will still be able to log into the game with your forum username in the usual way. However, when the finished 4.00 update is publicly released in the first quarter of 2021, it will become mandatory to login using your e-mail address.
Please note that those who use modified clients to play X4: Foundations will no longer have access to their online account in-game.
Ok, this isn`t why I originally bought tthe WHOLE package about 2 years ago. I don`t like what looks liek a bait and switch where I cannot get a refund. This is sounding like Elite`s policy even when playing Solo. There`s a reason why I get my games from GOG. I am beginning to regret giving Egosoft a chance and my money. I wantt a game I can play OFFLINE without needing to go Online to do it.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding it. I`ll be watching carefully to see exactly what this means in practise.
Actually, nobody can log online using the Beta so far, since this feature is blocked because of the development of Ventures. Ventures require an unmoded game even today. That said I am wondering what will happen with the features that right now are "locked" behind Ventures (and made a thread for that too)...

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 13:09

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 1. Dec 20, 13:00
I think you have indeed misunderstood it. Nowhere in that text does it say that you have to login to play your game offline, and we have no plans to make that mandatory. Perhaps you were confused by the explanation that the login method is changing (from username to email address) for those who do wish to do so.
Even though I am with you in using unmoded games for Ventures and the need to take out Ventures so you can work on them during the Beta, there is a "problem" with people who try to "transfer" a v3.30 game into the Beta and they can not connect, therefore anything they have gained through Ventures in v 3.30 is gone...
Personally I start "dedicated" games for Beta purpose (to find bugs not enjoy my game) and since I have a "dual" system (both Linux and Windows) one version is on Beta and the other is on the current version, so I can switch... but I think that I am, sort of, an exception to this....

EDIT: Perhaps you should have posted a warning about this (a big one) so it does not take people by surprise

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 13:14

No, it is not "gone". We make it very clear that anyone trying the beta should back up their savegames. I don't know how much more of warning we can give about this than making the password say exactly that!

• Anyone who has a ship on a venture can recover that ship by reverting to the non-beta version and continuing their 3.30 savegame, waiting for the ship return, saving again (and backing up their save again) and then going back into the 4.00 beta.
• If anyone wants to start a new game that includes paint mods that require them to log in, they can start the game in 3.30, login, save, then switch to the 4.00 beta.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 14:04

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 1. Dec 20, 13:14
No, it is not "gone". We make it very clear that anyone trying the beta should back up their savegames. I don't know how much more of warning we can give about this than making the password say exactly that!

• Anyone who has a ship on a venture can recover that ship by reverting to the non-beta version and continuing their 3.30 savegame, waiting for the ship return, saving again (and backing up their save again) and then going back into the 4.00 beta.
• If anyone wants to start a new game that includes paint mods that require them to log in, they can start the game in 3.30, login, save, then switch to the 4.00 beta.
To be clear, once 4.0 launches anyone who uses mods or plays offline will no longer be able to access all of the paintmods unlocked 'accountwide' through the venture system, unless they already have them in a 3.3 save?

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 14:07

dtpsprt wrote:
Tue, 1. Dec 20, 13:03
Socratatus wrote:
Tue, 1. Dec 20, 12:50

Actually, nobody can log online using the Beta so far, since this feature is blocked because of the development of Ventures. Ventures require an unmoded game even today. That said I am wondering what will happen with the features that right now are "locked" behind Ventures (and made a thread for that too)...
No features are locked behind ventures. If you have a modded game, you can't use ventures. If your client isn't online you can't take part in ventures because ventures requires a connection to send and/or receieve ships. Nothing is locked, but personal choice to participate in ventures is somethinf you have

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Tue, 1. Dec 20, 14:11

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 1. Dec 20, 13:00
Ok, well thanks for the clarificattion.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Wed, 2. Dec 20, 15:38

grapedog wrote:
Tue, 1. Dec 20, 14:07
No features are locked behind ventures.
You have probably meant "No features except most of the paintjobs are locked behind ventures." :sceptic:

Aside from that… I wonder, if ventures are soon to be changed, this would include server-side architecture as well, won't it? And if so, what happens if sometime down the timeline I to decide to finally try out ventures (obviously, this won't happen, ever, but I'm being hypohtetic here)… on a version 2.60HF2! Would it work, or support for "old ventures" would be removed at some point?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 2. Dec 20, 17:51

rare equipment mods are also hard to get outside ventures.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 2. Dec 20, 18:10

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 2. Dec 20, 17:51
rare equipment mods are also hard to get outside ventures.
Not really. This is my current stockpile of mods in my 4.0b game:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4flyrbjn4wtd7 ... 1.jpg?dl=0
Game is about 2 days old. In that time using Ventures I could reasonably have expected to acquire only another 2-6 of them (generally found the 20-hour one was the best for obtaining ship mods). Only mods which are at all difficult to obtain are purple weapon mods. Have had numerous opportunities to obtain them, but they're generally the reward for station demolition jobs or boarding ships for SCA, neither of which I'm tooled up for yet. Anyway they've been a low priority, it's not as though I can afford to install any of the mods I already have. Pretty much every credit I've earnt to date has gone into the bottomless money pit that is making the HQ jump-capable.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 08:17

Alm888 wrote:
Wed, 2. Dec 20, 15:38
grapedog wrote:
Tue, 1. Dec 20, 14:07
No features are locked behind ventures.
You have probably meant "No features except most of the paintjobs are locked behind ventures." :sceptic:
Nothing is locked away in this game. If you want more paintjobs, do ventures. If you want more ships buy or build them. If you want money, earn it.

By your logic teleportation is locked behind the phq quest, and the story arc missions are locked behind faction reputation.

avilonrayne
x4

Post by avilonrayne » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 19:23

CBJ wrote:
Sun, 29. Nov 20, 10:32
avilonrayne wrote:
Sun, 29. Nov 20, 07:29
Yes. :)
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Dudicus Dudarian
x4

Post by Dudicus Dudarian » Sun, 6. Dec 20, 14:44

Hi there,
Just bult my shipyards on 4.0, but it seems I have to manually build and sell my ships. I have all the ARG and HOP blueprints, but after hours of waiting (on SETA as well) nobody's placing any orders. I can still build and sell them manually, but why isn't anyone placing orders?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 6. Dec 20, 14:51

@ Dudicus Dudarian: This might be worth a read. I'm not sure this is necessarily a new-to-beta content question though.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Dudicus Dudarian
x4

Post by Dudicus Dudarian » Sun, 6. Dec 20, 14:58

Thanks for the swift reply. I haven't blacklisted anyone though and I have three megastations, one for each type of shipyard. None of them make and sell any ships automatically, however. very strange...

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sun, 6. Dec 20, 19:41

Dudicus Dudarian wrote:
Sun, 6. Dec 20, 14:58
Thanks for the swift reply. I haven't blacklisted anyone though and I have three megastations, one for each type of shipyard. None of them make and sell any ships automatically, however. very strange...
Most probably there was not a major battle/Xenon incursion lately in your game so the factions are maxed up in their quota...

Gregory
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Gregory » Thu, 10. Dec 20, 18:47

The team has been hard at work on the next Public Beta update for X4: Foundations, which is now available. We've been reviewing a bunch of quality of life improvements for the game and have added several encyclopedia refinements, as well as additional data to the Ship Configuration and Ship Comparison menus. For the full change log and details of how to participate in the beta, visit http://bit.ly/x4foundationsbeta.
All our channels in one convenient list :arrow: https://linktr.ee/egosoft

Return to “X4: Foundations”