4.00 Public Beta now available

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gregory
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: 4.00 Public Beta now available

Post by Gregory » Tue, 2. Feb 21, 17:36

:!: X4: Foundations 4.00 Beta 6 released :!:

New week, new beta! The sixth public beta for the 4.00 update of X4: Foundations is now available to download.

We've fixed an unfortunate gas resource depletion issue that was introduced in beta 5 last week. If you're using a 4.00 beta 5 savegame, we're topping up gas to 50% of the cargo hold on all stations that need gas as a resource, to get your production processes rolling again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Among other things, beta 6 also includes:
  • Several enhancements to the new Coordinated Attack feature.
  • Fixes and adjustments to the new Terraforming feature.
  • Better map behaviour when you are under Cover for a mission.
  • As always, various other improvements and fixes.
You can find the full list in our forum.

How do I participate in the public beta?
Every player who owns X4: Foundations will have the opportunity to download the new beta version 4.00. To ensure that beta participants are aware of the Risks and Rules, we ask that all interested players visit our forum for both rules and disclaimers, as well as practical instructions on how to participate in the beta. Please follow this link to our forum (no registration required) to find the relevant information.

Thank you for your support during the beta phase and have fun with X4: Foundations!
All our channels in one convenient list :arrow: https://linktr.ee/egosoft

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 2. Feb 21, 19:29

Might be just me but the split dragon, has it had any texture adjustments as seems nicer somehow when looking at it on this new build.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

gorman2040
x4

Post by gorman2040 » Tue, 2. Feb 21, 21:35

Gregory wrote:
Tue, 2. Feb 21, 17:36

New week, new beta! The sixth public beta for the 4.00 update of X4: Foundations is now available to download.

We've fixed an unfortunate gas resource depletion issue that was introduced in beta 5 last week. If you're using a 4.00 beta 5 savegame, we're topping up gas to 50% of the cargo hold on all stations that need gas as a resource, to get your production processes rolling again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Among other things, beta 6 also includes:
  • Several enhancements to the new Coordinated Attack feature.
  • Fixes and adjustments to the new Terraforming feature.
  • Better map behaviour when you are under Cover for a mission.
  • As always, various other improvements and fixes.

Every player who owns X4: Foundations will have the opportunity to download the new beta version 4.00. To ensure that beta participants are aware of the Risks and Rules, we ask that all interested players visit our forum for both rules and disclaimers, as well as practical instructions on how to participate in the beta. Please follow this link to our forum (no registration required) to find the relevant information.

Thank you for your support during the beta phase and have fun with X4: Foundations!
Thank you !

I think the gas depletion was a good reminder that we should use resources in a responsible way :mrgreen: and also that beta versions are not just access to new feature for your enjoyment (things can change unpredictably)

Cheers !
"Show me your wares!"
Specs: i5-12600K, 32GB DDR4-3200, 1TB NVMe, RTX2060 Super. Saitek X52. LG 4K TV.
X3 Reunion, X3 TC, X Rebirth and now X4, still shooting Xenon and charting the universe since 2006.

AlifeSoft
x4

Post by AlifeSoft » Thu, 4. Feb 21, 15:40

Gregory wrote:
Tue, 2. Feb 21, 17:36
One tiny question. Will it be released before March, because there is already beta 6, and previous patches had only 5 betas until release?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 4. Feb 21, 16:36

AlifeSoft wrote:
Thu, 4. Feb 21, 15:40
One tiny question. Will it be released before March, because there is already beta 6, and previous patches had only 5 betas until release?
You can't predict the amount of betas, can you? Shouldn't the iteration continue until product is "good enough"?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Gregory
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Gregory » Thu, 4. Feb 21, 17:46

AlifeSoft wrote:
Thu, 4. Feb 21, 15:40
Our current indication of the release date (Q1 2021) has not changed. Once we're ready to do so, we will announce the exact date.

Huillam
x4

Post by Huillam » Fri, 5. Feb 21, 00:54

Just to be clear about one thing – you won't be landing on any planets!
Fifteen words! 3*5! It's proof: Half Life 3 is in development and we will be landing on planets in X5! Hourray!
No?

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Fri, 5. Feb 21, 01:30

Huillam wrote:
Fri, 5. Feb 21, 00:54
Just to be clear about one thing – you won't be landing on any planets!
Fifteen words! 3*5! It's proof: Half Life 3 is in development and we will be landing on planets in X5! Hourray!
No?
Nah! 15-3= 12, 12 x 4 = 48. Confirmed, the next metro game will be Metro 2048.

Also 12 divided by 3 (as in x3) is equal to X4! Confirmed! We will land on planets!

On a more serious note, is there an ever so distant possibility of more areas to walk on ships and stations?
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

AlifeSoft
x4

Post by AlifeSoft » Fri, 5. Feb 21, 11:47

Huillam wrote:
Fri, 5. Feb 21, 00:54
we will be landing on planets in X5! Hourray!
It is easy to implement even in X4. Planetary lift with docks could be installed on planet orbit and planet locations could be implemented like in Mass Effect even with generated quests like Skyrim Radiant AI. X4 engine allows this.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 5. Feb 21, 12:16

One could argue that its possible to create almost anything given enough energy, but nothing in life is easy unless someone else does it. :-P

MFG

Ketraar

AlifeSoft
x4

Post by AlifeSoft » Fri, 5. Feb 21, 17:31

Ketraar wrote:
Fri, 5. Feb 21, 12:16
One could argue that its possible to create almost anything given enough energy, but nothing in life is easy unless someone else does it. :-P
Yes, but humanity invented money and "One" can pay Egos for this. I think X4: Landscape Conflict could be requested by players.

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Wed, 10. Feb 21, 14:09

AlifeSoft wrote:
Fri, 5. Feb 21, 17:31
Ketraar wrote:
Yes, but humanity invented money and "One" can pay Egos for this. I think X4: Landscape Conflict could be requested by players.
Or X5?, or Z1? because some of us have no interest in ruining a "space" game by making it a planet game, and I don't doubt as soon as those wanting it get their hands on a game that includes landing on planets they will be crying for all kinds of planetary interactions, like GTA. X4 Foundations is a space game period. Sorry if you don't like that.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

EmperorDragon
x4

Post by EmperorDragon » Wed, 10. Feb 21, 15:37

Ketraar wrote:

MFG

Ketraar
Given enough energy? Now where did I put that Dyson sphere... Ah, here it is! Do you want it?
surferx wrote:
Wed, 10. Feb 21, 14:09
Or X5?, or Z1? because some of us have no interest in ruining a "space" game by making it a planet game, and I don't doubt as soon as those wanting it get their hands on a game that includes landing on planets they will be crying for all kinds of planetary interactions, like GTA. X4 Foundations is a space game period. Sorry if you don't like that.
Oh no! There goes my beloved KSP. KSP2 will now be known as Kerbal Planet Program. A lot of it takes place on planets so it cannot be a space game, right? And how dare Neil Armstrong get out of his LEM! He's an astronaut, not a bloody planet walker! If we ever get to Mars, the crew better stay put and rummage through spreadsheet menus...

Joking apart, planet landings in X4 will not happen, it would be a monumental task. But for future X games, why not? It would be one giant leap... Wait, that's an Armstrong quote! Where is he? Walking around again? Get back in that LEM and open your map!
“To be the first to enter the cosmos, to engage, single-handed, in an unprecedented duel with nature - could one dream of anything more?” - Yuri Gagarin

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 10. Feb 21, 18:07

EmperorDragon wrote:
Wed, 10. Feb 21, 15:37
Joking apart, planet landings in X4 will not happen, it would be a monumental task. But for future X games, why not? It would be one giant leap... Wait, that's an Armstrong quote! Where is he? Walking around again? Get back in that LEM and open your map!
Joking apart... what happened to all the (undeniably) needed fixes? When they are done is the turn of the missing races/factions (They should be in the main game but even in DLC would do). And only after that (tremendous by itself) task is completed we should be allowed to even think about new features. Any post the dev team reads on any other direction is an unnecessary distraction IMHO and should be promptly deleted (no joke).

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Wed, 10. Feb 21, 18:36

dtpsprt wrote:
Wed, 10. Feb 21, 18:07
Any post the dev team reads on any other direction is an unnecessary distraction IMHO and should be promptly deleted (no joke).
Maybe not deleted, but ignored :P I'd vote for a feature freeze until the Borons are back. Actually I ~love~ to employ feature freezes in my projects to keep the teams focused :)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 10. Feb 21, 19:34

chew-ie wrote:
Wed, 10. Feb 21, 18:36

Maybe not deleted, but ignored :P I'd vote for a feature freeze until the Borons are back. Actually I ~love~ to employ feature freezes in my projects to keep the teams focused :)
Even though deleted is a bit of a dictatorship, one can not "unsee" what he has seen.
The problem lies to whether the moderators (who are unpaid as far as I know) have the ability and the will to mask these posts from the devs (very unlikely). Or if a filter based on keywords (like "planet landing" or "multiplayer") can be applied to screen these messages from dev view...
Another option would be for these posts to be moved to general discussions under their own threads... Would also be beneficiary for this to be done to other "out of the topic" posts...

EmperorDragon
x4

Post by EmperorDragon » Thu, 11. Feb 21, 08:12

dtpsprt wrote:
Wed, 10. Feb 21, 18:07
Joking apart... what happened to all the (undeniably) needed fixes? When they are done is the turn of the missing races/factions (They should be in the main game but even in DLC would do). And only after that (tremendous by itself) task is completed we should be allowed to even think about new features. Any post the dev team reads on any other direction is an unnecessary distraction IMHO and should be promptly deleted (no joke).
I know, that's why I said in the very bit you quoted that planetary landings in X4 will not happen.
dtpsprt wrote:
Wed, 10. Feb 21, 19:34
Even though deleted is a bit of a dictatorship, one can not "unsee" what he has seen.
The problem lies to whether the moderators (who are unpaid as far as I know) have the ability and the will to mask these posts from the devs (very unlikely). Or if a filter based on keywords (like "planet landing" or "multiplayer") can be applied to screen these messages from dev view...
Another option would be for these posts to be moved to general discussions under their own threads... Would also be beneficiary for this to be done to other "out of the topic" posts...
This censorship and repression of opinion trend is really catching on, isn't it? Moderators can move posts around as they wish but there's no reason to treat the devs like babies, nor shut them off from everything unrelated to the current job at hand. They are normal human beings just like us and welcome to join any discussion and share their ideas (or disapproval). They are also sentient beings that can think for themselves, no one has to do their thinking for them.

If we are no longer allowed to share ideas and dream big, then we can just as well shut this entire website down and get it over with. In fact, if that's the direction society is going towards, then we can just as well shut down the whole planet.
“To be the first to enter the cosmos, to engage, single-handed, in an unprecedented duel with nature - could one dream of anything more?” - Yuri Gagarin

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 11. Feb 21, 08:38

EmperorDragon wrote:
Thu, 11. Feb 21, 08:12
If we are no longer allowed to share ideas and dream big, then we can just as well shut this entire website down and get it over with. In fact, if that's the direction society is going towards, then we can just as well shut down the whole planet.
I wouldn't worry about that. Right now society is babbling way too much [social media, lockdowns ...]. That's why some balance has to kick in like in any other complex system.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

EmperorDragon
x4

Post by EmperorDragon » Thu, 11. Feb 21, 09:17

chew-ie wrote:
Thu, 11. Feb 21, 08:38
I wouldn't worry about that. Right now society is babbling way too much [social media, lockdowns ...]. That's why some balance has to kick in like in any other complex system.
Thankfully, in my part of the world, we don't have lockdowns. But I do feel for those badly affected by it in other countries.

Another question about 4.0, will planets in custom sectors added via mods still be compatible with the terraforming feature, or will they have to be configured to be compatible with it? Also, does anyone know where the new Terran sectors will be added perhaps? I have a bunch of custom sectors to the left of Atiya's Misfortune.

Gregory
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Gregory » Tue, 16. Feb 21, 17:44

:!: X4: Foundations 4.00 Beta 8 released :!:

Only one month left until the release of X4: Cradle of Humanity and the big 4.00 update for X4: Foundations. In other words, time for the next 4.00 beta release! Without further ado, here are the highlights of the beta 8 changelog:
  • The latest batch of changes in our ongoing program of balancing improvements to resources and workforce.
  • That all-important fix to allow Terraforming to complete.
  • Several small quality of life improvements in the menus and transaction logs.
  • Visual fixes to weapons and ships.
  • More bug extermination.

Return to “X4: Foundations”