Game would not close.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ScroungerYT

Game would not close.

Post by ScroungerYT » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 11:32

I just accidentally shot a lockbox which then exploded, taking me with it. So I reloaded my game from my most recent save. Then the game attempted to load for roughly 5 minutes while I browsed the Internet on my other computer. I gave up on the reload and Alt+F4'd out of the game. However, the game did not close. So I went to kill the program through task manager. But it was not in task manager, nowhere to be found. So somewhere on my PC the game was still running, somehow, inexplicably. I even tried to close it through the Steam client and it would not even close through that. I even attempted to close Steam, and not even that would close the application. The ONLY thing left to do was to restart my computer to close it out. This entire process took roughly 30 minutes. Yes, it took roughly 30 minutes to close out your game.

Is any of that your intention? Is that what you call expected behavior? Is that the intended behavior of the game? I can hardly believe any of that to be true. Therefore, this can only be classified as a technical bug and must be corrected.

As you can imagine, this is entirely unacceptable. When a person closes an application on their computer, it is expected that the program is to close, all of it. I would even be accepting if the game did not close, but was accessible to close through the task manager, it happens from time to time, I get it. But to have a game not even be accessible through the task manager, for closer? No, I cannot accept that at all. And no, I am not entitled here. It is entirely within reasonable expectation that the game should close... upon closure of the game.

If I was the boss, I would have the bug fixed immediately, in a hot fox patch, even if that was the only thing that was done. After all, this game just behaved like malware, in the least, a virus at the worst(depending on if it damaged anything in the process). That should be an extreme priority to fix.

And for the fanboys out there, apologists, no this was not a Steam issue, nor was it a "your computer" issue. This is entirely on the X4 foundations application. So don't even try. In fact, unless you are an Egosoft employee, on actual payroll, don't even bother replying here your input is neither required nor desired, and it is entirely likely you have nothing to contribute anyway. And I am not interested in workarounds.

Edit: Also of note, I have yet to review the game. But that may soon change. That depends on what happens next.

EGO_Aut
x4

Re: Game would not close.

Post by EGO_Aut » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 11:42

Spoiler
Show
After wasting my time for at least 2mins reading this i have to respond something
:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Man i could have done something better :lol:

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 17:34

I'd probably shoot my computer if it ran that poorly.... that's not to say that some games haven't caused me to restart.... but just taking good care of your machine should result in sub 60 second reboot.

People forget that computers are like cars, they take somr tlc from time to time. When i was young, and worked tech support in that field, many a computer i had to put to pasture because the user treated it more like a black hole for cookie crumbs, than a computer.

But, with a 30+ min reboot time, im totally not includimg the OP in that group. Totally...

I'm fairly certain my 486 dx2 66 didn't take 30 minutes to reboot...

Tanvaras
x4

Post by Tanvaras » Sat, 21. Nov 20, 22:25

To start off, I as the above posters are not Egosoft so I know you wont bother reading the replies. But the community here helps a ton, as long as your attitude is decent...... I do wonder about yours though.
ScroungerYT wrote:
Sat, 21. Nov 20, 11:32

And for the fanboys out there, apologists, no this was not a Steam issue, nor was it a "your computer" issue. This is entirely on the X4 foundations application. So don't even try. In fact, unless you are an Egosoft employee, on actual payroll, don't even bother replying here your input is neither required nor desired, and it is entirely likely you have nothing to contribute anyway. And I am not interested in workarounds.

Edit: Also of note, I have yet to review the game. But that may soon change. That depends on what happens next.
Wow, must say you just joined the forums and already alienated the whole user-base.... Well done, think you now hold the record........
DXDIAG would be a good start too, seeing what your system is overall can help sort out technical issues!
ScroungerYT wrote:

The ONLY thing left to do was to restart my computer to close it out. This entire process took roughly 30 minutes. Yes, it took roughly 30 minutes to close out your game.
Sounds like your PC needs a clean up, files and dust. 30 mins for any system shouts out technical issues "your" end. My kids old hand me down PC's which hardly get any service work on them still boot within 45 seconds to desktop, also play X4 and don't have issues. Would be doing a Windows Integrity check along with a physical system clean asap.

Were you using mods? I know of another person who was running some mods and one of the mods was actually causing X4.exe to continue to run in the background until he shut it down via Task manager (This is not an Egosoft issue, but a modders issue).
ScroungerYT wrote:

By this comment everyone on this forum knows your next step, Love people who give idle threats, instead of actually asking for help from you very first post. Good luck with anyone giving you the time of day.
“We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”
“Talent is a pursued interest"
“Let's get crazy.”
“There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend.”

Bob Ross, 29 October 1942 - 4 July 1995

Return to “X4: Foundations”