I am very dissapointed by 4.0 beta

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lord Crc
x4

Re: I am very dissapointed by 4.0 beta

Post by Lord Crc » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 16:45

I think the core issue here is that they've painted themselves up into a corner a bit with missile turrets. Regular turrets have no ammo, so I don't care about my L Plasmas firing at M's, as long as there's no a K around. But with a missile turret, I absolutely do not want it to waste ammo on the wrong enemy.

So for normal turrets, I'd like to specify what to prioritize. For missile turrets I want to specify what it should and should not attack.

zakaluka

Post by zakaluka » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 17:08

Lord Dakier wrote:
Sun, 29. Nov 20, 15:34
Docking: There is nothing that makes me want to rip my eyes out more than watching the incompetence surrounding the docking of ships. I'd rather see ships try and dock and if they're getting stuck just clip through the ship or teleport into the docking bay. The entire process needs to be sped up. It takes way too long dock a carrier fleet.
This seems so much better in the beta though? NPC docking isn't "efficient" by any stretch but they do fly clear away until they've got a direct approach and then fly right in & dock.
I see more annoying behavior on un-dock but it's not egregious. Sometimes inching along walls or spinning in place while figuring out a path.

In 3.3 npcs would try to make an efficient direct approach but then predictably always got stuck on the side of a structure. It was infuriating.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 30. Nov 20, 05:07

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 26. Nov 20, 21:40

Except that Terraforming is suppose to be end-game activity and only limited to some sectors and not every sector with a planet.
This means that counting on terraforming for workforce boost will be questionable because when you need it you will be far from terraforming and when you terrform stuff you'll not need it anymore (my home sector already have 100k station population).
How much time do you spend in SETA?

There are players who don't use SETA. In my playthroughs, of which ive racked up like 1800 hours in game, ive used SETA for a total of like 3-5 hours... and a large chunk of that 3 hours was helming damaged L and XL ships into a port, which is a really time consuming process.

For players that don't use SETA, and/or stick to using only building pieces of their own faction(ie playing SPL start and only using SPL habs) getting even 20k workers takes a long long long time. So if they are creating new ways to address workforce population, i am happy. Even though i think there could be simpler ways to achieve it, i am glad it is getting attention.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Mon, 30. Nov 20, 11:14

The 4.00 update is, without a doubt, the biggest free update so far to our space simulation X4: Foundations.
I think Egosoft has big plans for 4.0, else they wouldnt have announced it as the biggest update. I mean 3.0 added ships, weapons, sectors, missions, storyline quests and many more improvements. So what we see now is just the beginning of 4.0. Pretty sure that there will come a lot more content in the next 2 or 3 months :).
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 19:26

I must admit that I missed this one in 4.0 change log:
Command loops/repeat

This was something I was looking for since long time.

xant
x4

Post by xant » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 19:36

It's not a command loop, but a buy/sell loop. The transfer wares loop wasn't implemented (yet; I hope we'll see it one day).

I also was looking forward to it, but in its current form it is a little bit too limited.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 19:39

Buy/Sell loop? You can't repeat any other commands with it? I just saw it is a "behaviour" and that you can add commands like usual to it, so I thought you would be able to set patrols and such.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 19:46

Then it must be a rare case where I'm happy, because I specifically needed buy/sell loops and didn't cared for other loops.

xant
x4

Post by xant » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 19:57

Tamina wrote:
Thu, 3. Dec 20, 19:39
Buy/Sell loop? You can't repeat any other commands with it? I just saw it is a "behaviour" and that you can add commands like usual to it, so I thought you would be able to set patrols and such.
It is a behaviour, and it allows for "Fly to", "Update trade offers", "Attack targets in range" and "buy/sell". Those four. Patrol/Police and Protect orders are another category of behaviour (Combat) and not part of the loop command (which is in Advanced).
mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 3. Dec 20, 19:46
Then it must be a rare case where I'm happy, because I specifically needed buy/sell loops and didn't cared for other loops.
It is quite useful and I do use it, but buy/sell commands - even in a loop - still rely on stations having a budget. Having the other trade order, the "transfer wares with..." command, also loop-able would solve a few problems for me. I wish this little addition makes it in the game before 4.0 leaves the beta.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 20:09

xant wrote:
Thu, 3. Dec 20, 19:57
It is a behaviour, and it allows for "Fly to", "Update trade offers", "Attack targets in range" and "buy/sell". Those four. Patrol/Police and Protect orders are another category of behaviour (Combat) and not part of the loop command (which is in Advanced).
you forgot "collect cargo", other then buy/sell its the best one
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 20:21

With "patrol" I meant to set a bunch of fly-to waypoints manually :) What else would you want to do with it?

The buy/sell order is pretty cool and admittedly puts a shadow over the other commands, as you can specify prices and cargo parameters before buying/selling. So it has some kind of wait-until and execute-while logic to it. Just a matter of time until we can script the whole NPC behaviour 😂 I am sure they will add support for transfer soon as well, why not?
Collect cargo is useful, haven't tried yet :)

What else would you want to do with it? I see nothing left. An attack command wouldn't make sense to repeat.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

xant
x4

Post by xant » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 21:23

Yes, the buy/sell loop is the single most useful behaviour command, with the 1-star requirement it is especially the backbone of early nividium mining across multiple sectors. With it you have precise control of what and where you trade.

That alone is a huge step forward. :)

I didn't mean to say that the command loop was too limited, only that buy/sell isn't broad enough for what I have in mind for certain loops. Here I miss the transfer order, as it is the one I use the most throughout a game.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 3. Dec 20, 21:53

transfer wares order as it is now is flawed for loops bc it does not care about the amounts the station needs, so it can overfill the station and block everything, of course thats probably a very easy fix
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 10. Dec 20, 21:08

Beta 3 - while bugfixes are welcome (even if third of them are fixing what 4.0 broke), there are still no new major features or new content that we had in 3.0.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Thu, 10. Dec 20, 21:31

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 10. Dec 20, 21:08
Beta 3 - while bugfixes are welcome (even if third of them are fixing what 4.0 broke), there are still no new major features or new content that we had in 3.0.
There are 16 entries total fixing stuff broke in 4.0. TOTAL. 5 of them are in Beta 3. What the heck kind of hyperbole bong are you smoking?
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 10. Dec 20, 21:49

Slashman wrote:
Thu, 10. Dec 20, 21:31
mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 10. Dec 20, 21:08
There are 16 entries total fixing stuff broke in 4.0. TOTAL. 5 of them are in Beta 3. What the heck kind of hyperbole bong are you smoking?
28 fixes for Beta 3 and out of them there are 8 entries related to fixing 4.0 issue:

[Beta 3] Fixed cut-off text in encyclopedia descriptions under certain circumstances.
[Beta 3] Fixed sector info menu not being displayed correctly under certain circumstances.
[Beta 3] Fixed incorrect display of settings in Extensions menus after restoring defaults.
[Beta 3] Fixed inability to give piloting or management seminars to pilots or managers via Personnel Management Menu.
[Beta 3] Fixed inability to give piloting seminars to player's relief pilot.
[Beta 3] Fixed inability to place station plots in another sector (problem introduced in 4.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed Ship Overview menu for ships which use Repeat Orders (problem introduced in 4.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed Deposit Inventory option not being available when ship is repeating orders (problem introduced in 4.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed logbook entries being added for NPC ships bailing following attacks by other NPCs.
[Beta 3] Fixed trade loops failing to trade with station build storage.
[Beta 3] Fixed ships with destroyed engines continuing to move.
[Beta 3] Fixed inability to scan ships multiple times.
[Beta 3] Fixed another case of subordinates attacking ships beyond pursuit range.
[Beta 3] Fixed ware amounts for repeated Buy/Sell orders not being converted to cargo space (new feature in 4.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed auto-miners and auto-traders operating over more restricted range than previously (problem introduced in 4.0).
[Beta 3] Fixed capital ships not trading when player is around (problem introduced in 4.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed Coordinate Attack target selection to filter out targets in different sectors (new feature in 4.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed subordinates assigned to Mimic commanders with default order to dock and wait repeatedly docking and undocking (new feature in 4.00).
[Beta 3] Fixed Split Story mission Zyarth's Coffin getting stuck after completing delivery.
[Beta 3] Fixed issue with Split-specific Fleet War Mission requesting non-existent ship equipment.
[Beta 3] Fixed Kha'ak stations offering signal leak missions.
[Beta 3] Fixed unsuitable shop areas appearing on certain stations.
[Beta 3] Fixed missing doors for spacesuit docks on station dock areas.
[Beta 3] Fixed redundant info text on radar for selected target using certain screen aspect ratios.
[Beta 3] Fixed graphical corruption of guidance on Map.
[Beta 3] Fixed certain sounds being played using incorrect volume setting.
[Beta 3] Fixed several causes of performance issues.
[Beta 3] Fixed several causes of crashes.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 10. Dec 20, 22:49

I think that what the number of the beta is does not matter one bit, as I understand the release date for 4.0 is before CoH so they have more then 3 months to add stuff to it, it could go to beta 11 :D, doubtful but there is enough time for more stuff

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 10. Dec 20, 23:05

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 10. Dec 20, 21:49
28 fixes for Beta 3 and out of them there are 8 entries related to fixing 4.0 issue:
Isn't that the whole point of the beta process? - to test new stuff, check if it works, see if it has unintended consequences & if there's any problems fix it in the next beta.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 11. Dec 20, 10:41

The exasperation over issues between beta versions often comes from people who treat betas more as platforms with early advantages from which to continue playing their long term games, rather than for their actual purpose of testing and adjusting before getting to a release version. :wink:

It's the old "Do you want it now, or do you want it right?" business.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 11. Dec 20, 16:55

Yeah keep finding the excuses - they would be valid if it would be 3.40 or 3.60, but this is suppose to be big 4.0 release and I stated that it's very dissapointing comparing to 3.0.

By th time of beta 3, 3.0 already had the reveal of major fetures like new sectors.

Return to “X4: Foundations”