A question for the Devs

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dtpsprt
x4

A question for the Devs

Post by dtpsprt » Sat, 28. Nov 20, 14:03

I can fully understand the need for an unmodified client to enter into online gaming.
  • For fellow forum members: Please don't start that argument again...
Nevertheless I have a small question/petition to make:
Are the purple mod items and paintmods that are now available only in Ventures going to be transferred into the main game?

Anyway you look at it these are parts of the game itself so they should be obtainable in the main game, especially the mod parts...

Thanks in advance for any answers.

EDIT: P.S. Dear Moderators can you please remove any posts that will "reintroduce" the online issue?

xant
x4

Re: A question for the Devs

Post by xant » Sat, 28. Nov 20, 14:41

I'd like to add that the randomness of ship-mod results makes it even harder on the player, as you are sometimes forced to redo certain mods again and again.

I understand that we're not supposed to have enough mods to comfortably upgrade entire fleets with all their guns and turrets, but right now it isn't even enough for a few ships. That was always one of the two reasons why I resorted to a modded client in the past (the other one being buyable pilot skill seminars from 3 to 5 stars).

So yes, I'm interested if there are any plans to change anything regarding the rarity of exceptional drops and the randomness of ship-modding.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 28. Nov 20, 16:44

dtpsprt wrote:
Sat, 28. Nov 20, 14:03
Are the purple mod items and paintmods that are now available only in Ventures...
This is incorrect. Both are available without Ventures. Currently a little over 32 hours into my current game & already have 6 purple mods, despite the fact that Ventures are disabled in the current beta. Can't actually use them yet, still need to do the research & gather more ancillary components, but I've got them. Have also been accumulating them at a faster rate than I did in previous games using Ventures (typically I'd use the 20-hour one to get 1-3 each time).

Paint however is a different matter. Although there are some paint jobs available without Ventures there's not many & don't particularly like any of them. With Ventures currently disabled don't even have access to paint acquired in previous games. Think it might be good if at least the basic ones could be purchased from wharves, shipyards & equipment docks.

xant wrote:
Sat, 28. Nov 20, 14:41
I'd like to add that the randomness of ship-mod results makes it even harder on the player, as you are sometimes forced to redo certain mods again and again.
Rather like that aspect myself. Every ship I modify is always going to be slightly different to the rest, even with an identical set of mods - gives each of them a bit of character. Also like being able to choose which specific aspects of a mod I want to emphasise (e.g. higher damage v enhanced cooling).

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 04:22

Some paint mods of higher rarities should also be available from doing missions and not just ventures. I am unsure if there are any venture specific paint mods or not but at least some of them should be available to everyone, like with exceptional ship mod parts.

avilonrayne
x4

Post by avilonrayne » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 05:54

dtpsprt wrote:
Sat, 28. Nov 20, 14:03
Anyway you look at it these are parts of the game itself so they should be obtainable in the main game, especially the mod parts...
This has always been the biggest issue with the venture system. +1 to you. There are mods to sort of fix this, but there are no mods that do so in a balanced way. All content in the game should be available regardless of online connectivity. Cosmetic stuff too. Sure it doesn't affect ship stats, but it does affect players. Making a fleet look good with color coordinated wings and themed capital ships (I'm partial to the snowflakes-on-red holiday paint) makes every engagement with the Xenon or [insert enemy here] that much more enjoyable. ♥
Random thoughts, with possible spoilers for new players:
Show
Add something to unlock paint jobs for sale from Boso Ta and/or Dal Busta. Use HQ Research to do it? Missions from Dal? Paint licenses from faction reps? I'm thinking these would be game specific instead of the account wide paints from ventures. I think the Forty-two paint jobs I got from a mission are already linked to the game instead of my account, so these shouldn't be a completely new thing in the game. Plus, mods have been able to add game-specific paints.

xant
x4

Post by xant » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 08:32

Since we're on the topic of paint jobs, it would be hugely appreciated if the ship components (turrets, weapons, shield generators, engines) were of neutral colouring and also subject to colour changes.

oddible
x4

Post by oddible » Sun, 29. Nov 20, 20:40

It is a single player game, lol, there is no reason to "level the playingfield" by not allowing ship mods in if you play with game mods.

That said, if the devs spend any time futzing around with paint mods over other more important features, they're wasting their time. You can design a paint mod to require me to move to Germany and bring coffee to the devs while they're working for all I care, I'm never going to screw around in-game for a visual mod. Mods that affect my gameplay in a meaninful way (engines, weapons, etc) those are the ones I want to make sure I have access to!

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 30. Nov 20, 04:41

It would be cool to be able to unlock some paint mods, or otherwise make them more widely available. Perhaps each faction could have one or two paint mods locked behind faction rep, like 20 rep and 30 rep each provide new paint options, per faction. Or maybe completing a mission like the hatikvah free trade gives you access to one of their paint mods while building ships. These earned paint mods would just be added to the cost of ship production. Or if i am playung the SPL start, whichever faction i side with i get access to their paint mod, but the other mod is off limits/only through ventures.

Having consistantly done ventures in each if my playthroughs(except one modded playthrough), by mid game its rare that any of my personal ships(of which i keep probably 20ish ships scattered around for personal use) is not mostly modded. Ventures is a pretty relaible source of mods, and i feel the rate at which they are earmed is fair. The RNG system is not fun though.

Return to “X4: Foundations”