I am very sad for the future of X4

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

zakaluka

Re: I am very sad for the future of X4

Post by zakaluka » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 00:14

This game isn't written for a few thousand hours of lastability. If you need a game that lasts several thousand hours, this might not be the right game.

It's not some virtue, like "I have the most experience so I know what needs to be done," you've simply worn it out.

I can only think of two games that were actually intended for that kind of replayability.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 00:42

zakaluka wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 00:14
This game isn't written for a few thousand hours of lastability.
Really? Kept me happily entertained for quite a while...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tm0wso6eszu4l ... d.jpg?dl=0

zakaluka

Post by zakaluka » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 00:55

generalities take a bit more than a counter-example to cast into doubt.
you're special, GCU.

Mr. Killer however, apparently could not make the game last 4,000 hours. Most people won't.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 01:36

zakaluka wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 00:55
Most people won't.
Most people won't have that much time on their hands for any game. Most of the time I wouldn't, but special circumstances right now (global pandemic, stuck indoors for months on end, nothing much else to do = LOTS of time for X4). Doubt I'm the only one with 1000+ hours on the clock.

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 01:43

rustyshackleford wrote:
Fri, 19. Feb 21, 19:17
surferx wrote:
Sun, 14. Feb 21, 14:58
Roeleveld wrote:
Thu, 11. Feb 21, 07:34

For reality, the game is actually too fast.
I mean, how realistic is it that in the first 2 hours after getting your first tiny ship, you can end up with a lot of mining vessels, seen nearly the whole map, helped in a prison break, built a few factories and end up being the only living individual that can teleport across sectors? :roll:
Credits add up so fast, it is immersion breaking. This is why I don't do crystal mining in my games. I remember how excited I was in X2 when Elena Kho gave me her old Mercury trader to get started. Yes it took a while of just finding deals and trading goods, but was still entertaining which is what a video game should do. If you could just fly over to an asteroid, mine some crystals and tell Elena "Nah, I'm good. I'll just buy a couple of new trade ships fully loaded out," I'm afraid the whole plot line for X2 would be ruined. IMO they forgot a lot of good things from X2 and X3 in favor of rapid progression.
To be honest, I'm glad that they have options in place for players to gain credits very quickly. For me personally, between family and career life, I have little time to sit down with X4 so it would take me forever to see everything in the game if it hadn't been for crystal mining. I hope they leave those in the game and don't nerf their prices.
:thumb_up:
I do agree with you on this point. Options are usually a good thing. If you want to blast thru the game and set up a galactic empire quickly, if this is your thing, then you can do that. I was just making the observation that some of the fast tracks can easily be bypassed and for me, adds to the realism. I don't mine crystals, or use SETA. If some action in the game decreases realism then maybe you don't have to use it.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 01:56

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 01:36
zakaluka wrote:
Most people won't.
Most people won't have that much time on their hands for any game. Most of the time I wouldn't, but special circumstances right now (global pandemic, stuck indoors for months on end, nothing much else to do = LOTS of time for X4). Doubt I'm the only one with 1000+ hours on the clock.
2668 hrs in my current game. [EDIT: Started when Split Vendeta was introduced.] Not one second of SETA. Only 60% of GCU's playtime! Wow.
I think what keeps me entertained and makes my game last is to keep something challenging in the game. Sometimes I limit myself on what is possible, if only to make the challenge more interesting.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 03:37

surferx wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 01:56
GCU Grey Area wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 01:36
zakaluka wrote:
Most people won't.
2668 hrs in my current game. [EDIT: Started when Split Vendeta was introduced.] Not one second of SETA. Only 60% of GCU's playtime! Wow.
I think what keeps me entertained and makes my game last is to keep something challenging in the game. Sometimes I limit myself on what is possible, if only to make the challenge more interesting.
It's very true that at least the pandemic gave most of us a lot of time... I've over 4500 hrs dispersed in over 200 games and started playing just before V3.00... As for what is possible... how would you think Jules Vern would have reacted if he was resurrected today just for 1 hour? And that is just one well known example... When we are trying to experience a situation/simulation of things to happen after 1000 years or so possible have to have a nice break...
There are a few "standards" of evolution though... like intelligent beings need to have grapling and manipulating ability... having a planetary origin (= gravity) would mean that their brains are higher than their hearts, supposing they have any kind of circulatory system...
There are also some Newtonian/Einsteinian standards... gravity... Inertia... conversion of matter to energy and back... matter/antimatter threshold...

Once these are kept the rest is open for debate and they should be enhancing the game instead of stifling it...

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 09:47

kmunoz wrote:
Sun, 14. Feb 21, 17:38
Nikola515 wrote:
Sun, 14. Feb 21, 03:40
So you can now place satellites to increase missions vision range? I might give it shot again after this new DLC. Thanks for info :)
It's more that if you have a satellite near a station that has a mission, it will appear when you enter the same sector, even if your own ship doesn't have scanner range to that station.
Just check it and you need to be near station to see actual missions.... Satellites don't do anything at all. Also they still didn't fix that old bug where stations gets bugged when you build turrets (maybe it will get fixed next year) :roll:
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 09:57

I was optimistic before but now I lost all hope. I am not even going to buy this dlc until they fix the AI.

Oh well good thing I have other superb space games like Starsector that keep me entertained

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 18:45

zakaluka wrote:
generalities take a bit more than a counter-example to cast into doubt.
you're special, GCU.

Mr. Killer however, apparently could not make the game last 4,000 hours. Most people won't.
hahaha, I laugh at you, this game, 4305 hours, X3-AP, 1403 hours and that was since I paid again for a license on Steam, I still have the CD with code, if you care to know how many hours I played that one? whooo, it comes close to X4.
But, what makes you think that I could not last that long?
Have I not been playing enough for your satisfaction to share my opinion? And on top of that, every time I got angry and let people know what I felt, I came back and re tried it, every time. Except XR, I had that at 500 + hours, but that was no challenge. This game is a challenge.
So, give me a break.

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 19:37

{warning: possible spoilers for Cradle of Humanity plot - CBJ}

This is the future of X4:
Cradle of humanity:
Everywhere Yaki, out of nowhere, -25 rep, attacks all and everyone....
Terrans, mostly a few factions, have not counted them, got lured into a mission without realizing it, losing all access to my fleet, getting stuck in some old half demolished Terran furniture that they called 'station' and with no way to get out.
Instead of some communication by that scientist with the flat Scottish accent, he stays silent when you need him the most, solving those 8 switches with laser and repair gun is a illogical tedious process, I just left the game for it after multiple attempts, to no avail....
This is not the game I want to play, I want to build, be friends with who I want and work upon that point and not being harassed by out of nowhere Yaki, and losing coms to my fleet.... Do we have to start over? do we? I thought it was an addition to X4, but this seems on a lot of fronts a disappointment, again.

In X3, the Terrans were at war with Argons, there was a highway to be constructed, but the Argons are not in their visor, we seem to have still no control over highways, all is pre-programmed and not liquid so that it might go in different directions, every game played by every person on Earth is the same. That the map stays the same is unavoidable, but action is also limited to destroy ships, stations.... and that's it.
What if we could build Portals or destroy them, restrict access or place guarding in it... something....
What if Terrans are a well developed race with mighty strong hulls and armed to the teeth, strong and fast......hard to kill.... and at war with a few factions to spice things up.... but no, we get pulled into some mission that ends up in...turning your computer off! :evil:

What is that Egosoft?

BlackRain
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by BlackRain » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 19:46

I guess there is nothing that can be said then. It is obviously not the game for you. I love the game and am enjoying it immensely, but I also see what you are saying. There are many things they can do which would be new and interesting. I think this is the case with every game though.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 19:50

Well... the good news is that nothing stops you having your not Terran start, evolve your power enough and then start messing with them (the stage I am now)...
On the other hand, the second Terran gamestart is really fun to deal with and gives a nice twist to the PHQ plot.

Yaki at -25 is good, since they border with Xenon space, so you only have to get into their territory with a good ship (not at the start of course), blast a Xenon or two without touching them and get the hell out of there with your rep at -23 so you can fix it with a courier....

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 06:43

I don't understand how people can play this game for more than 100 hours. By the time I got a shipyard. I built an army that can literally solo the whole universe. There is 0 challenge in there. The only challenge is the waiting for your factories to be built.

With the new dlc, it is just doing the same thing but with terran ships instead. The only redeeming feature of the game are the story missions (even with the horrendous voice acting), that's it.

Overall, personally I don't feel the passion that I felt in X3. There used to be so many things in X3 that clearly showed the passion of the Devs.

The amount of mods X3 had was a clear feedback to the passion that was put in the game. We had really dangerous khaak (not some pestering flies), dangerous pirates with their own capitals, xenon also were as dangerous as ever, lots of hidden sectors with dangers and treasures, explorations was dangerous but rewarding. Each faction had its own identity. Ship stats weren't copy paste of each other, etc...I could write a whole essay about the cool things X3 had.

With mods, it is not strange to say that X3 is the best space game ever.

With X4, well....that passion is gone. Exploration is boring, ships are extremely unbalanced, every gamestart feels the same, challenge is inexistent thus 0 feeling of achievement, even the story characters are bland and boring, etc...

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 09:45

Warnoise wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 06:43
I don't understand how people can play this game for more than 100 hours. By the time I got a shipyard. I built an army that can literally solo the whole universe. There is 0 challenge in there. The only challenge is the waiting for your factories to be built.

With the new dlc, it is just doing the same thing but with terran ships instead. The only redeeming feature of the game are the story missions (even with the horrendous voice acting), that's it.

Overall, personally I don't feel the passion that I felt in X3. There used to be so many things in X3 that clearly showed the passion of the Devs.

The amount of mods X3 had was a clear feedback to the passion that was put in the game. We had really dangerous khaak (not some pestering flies), dangerous pirates with their own capitals, xenon also were as dangerous as ever, lots of hidden sectors with dangers and treasures, explorations was dangerous but rewarding. Each faction had its own identity. Ship stats weren't copy paste of each other, etc...I could write a whole essay about the cool things X3 had.

With mods, it is not strange to say that X3 is the best space game ever.

With X4, well....that passion is gone. Exploration is boring, ships are extremely unbalanced, every gamestart feels the same, challenge is inexistent thus 0 feeling of achievement, even the story characters are bland and boring, etc...
Couldn't agree more... I actually have over 4,000 hours playing the game but none of my saves is over 50-60 hours tops(!!!). I actually stop and restart the moment I am able to get the first Wharf. Then the inevitability of everything makes the game unplayable for me.

gevers
x4

Post by gevers » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 09:51

Sadly I have to agree with the post title, I spent the last 3 months waiting for COH, I have even made a custom button box to improve my playstyle, formatted my pc and cleaned it thoroughly. Just to have the best experience I could get.
Let's not talk about the troublesome launch at gog,
But after the initial excitement of the new start (project genesis) I find myself in the exact same universe doing the exact same things that I did in SV... Not even with different ships!
So now it's, get some money, get some blueprints, build some stations, build a wharf and shipyard, conquer the universe...
I don't know about other x games as this is my first one but what I think is that the game is lacking massively on one of the core gameplay parts: exploration.
Currently I find myself exploring with just ai ships, what's the point of me being there? It's hardly dangerous, the most valuable thing I can find is a data vault and there's nothing to see aside from the skyboxes...
My point here is that when I'm in my ship in a unknown sector I want to feel scared, excited and curious... About what I can find, what enemies I can face, what wonders the endless space has to offer me...

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 10:06

gevers wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 09:51
Sadly I have to agree with the post title, I spent the last 3 months waiting for COH, I have even made a custom button box to improve my playstyle, formatted my pc and cleaned it thoroughly. Just to have the best experience I could get.
But after the initial excitement of the new start (project genesis) I find myself in the exact same universe doing the exact same things that I did in SV... Not even with different ships!
So now it's, get some money, get some blueprints, build some stations, build a wharf and shipyard, conquer the universe...
I don't know about other x games as this is my first one but what I think is that the game is lacking massively on one of the core gameplay parts: exploration.
Currently I find myself exploring with just ai ships, what's the point of me being there? It's hardly dangerous, the most valuable thing I can find is a data vault and there's nothing to see aside from the skyboxes...
My point here is that when I'm in my ship in a unknown sector I want to feel scared, excited and curious... About what I can find, what enemies I can face, what wonders the endless space has to offer me...
Then you should get the previous X titles with a universe 3 times the one you have here, storylines that do not (in their majority) require money to move on (with one deplorable exception), Googles to enhance your site so you can see the remote stations and fly to them to find out what they are (same for abandoned ships) since there is no such thing as Radar sweep. Pirates Xenon and Khaak that are deadly but all their ships are obtainable and flyable... do I need to go on?

The "plus" side is that since the titles that offer all these things are considered "dated" you can have them for the price of a Starbucks coffee!!!

P.S. Did I forget to mention Instant Save when you dock on a station with three previous dockings saved automatically? (X2/X3)

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 10:40

BlackRain wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 19:46
I guess there is nothing that can be said then. It is obviously not the game for you. I love the game and am enjoying it immensely, but I also see what you are saying. There are many things they can do which would be new and interesting. I think this is the case with every game though.
If you read my last post you reacted to, you'd see that I am stuck, from that point there is no way out, and going back through all those service tunnels in a space suit just to open and close doors so that you and your Yaki ship can get out is not progress at all.
I have been lured here without knowing I'd lose all communication to my fleet, hell, I don't know what is going on there!
So this is normal then? being lured into a seemingly unsolvable puzzle that I still ask an answer for. It is clearly no Hollywood scene, they would build the option to build a rocket that blasts a hole in the ship so I can get out....

You understand ? this is not funny anymore.......

Oh, and another thing I really do not like is being forced to go out of your favorite ship and into a barrel that hardly can handle rocks hitting it, why does EGOSOFT do this? if that Terran scientist wants 10 antimatter cells, Let him go out and get them.... Why do we have to be forced out of our comfort zone every time the devs think it is fun????????????????????????????? Why!!!!!!!!!!!

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 10:43

gevers wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 09:51
Play X3 Terran Conflict.

Burneyx
x4

Post by Burneyx » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 11:07

Mr.Killer wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 10:40
BlackRain wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 19:46
If you read my last post you reacted to, you'd see that I am stuck, from that point there is no way out, and going back through all those service tunnels in a space suit just to open and close doors so that you and your Yaki ship can get out is not progress at all.
I have been lured here without knowing I'd lose all communication to my fleet, hell, I don't know what is going on there!
So this is normal then? being lured into a seemingly unsolvable puzzle that I still ask an answer for. It is clearly no Hollywood scene, they would build the option to build a rocket that blasts a hole in the ship so I can get out....

You understand ? this is not funny anymore.......

Oh, and another thing I really do not like is being forced to go out of your favorite ship and into a barrel that hardly can handle rocks hitting it, why does EGOSOFT do this? if that Terran scientist wants 10 antimatter cells, Let him go out and get them.... Why do we have to be forced out of our comfort zone every time the devs think it is fun????????????????????????????? Why!!!!!!!!!!!
Well honestly,

can a human being have more fun then drop/repair a couple of satellites + having the honor to pay 15 Euro for it, again.....
The Terran wanting 10 antimatter cells is a refreshing new quest :D

Ok, some mods for free can easily deliver you the antimatter cells for free(instant) and providing fun such as faster build times,
thats the reason i am prefering frre mods after all, they provide fun for free :wink:

Well, one big downside, i can't send a hand full of ships to another player, but thats ok, in a singleplayer game :thumb_up:

Greetings
***modified***

Return to “X4: Foundations”