How come there are no shield effects?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

chew-ie
x4

Re: How come there are no shield effects?

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 15:08

Axeface wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 15:02
My concern with this is performance. The fps impact of battles with a lot of ships is large already even on the best computers, turning large battles that should be the highlight of our games into something to avoid.
Have yet to see a battle which kills my PC (and I'm playing on ~3 year old hardware). If one does just match the npcs numbers everything should be fine (as those fleets are tiny). If you field hundreds of destroyers (and even more S ships) in one local sector, it will get slow though. More so in asteroid fields.

But then again there is no reason to escalate that much (other than people enjoying pushing the game to it's limits :D ).

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 15:10

chew-ie wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 15:08
Axeface wrote:
My concern with this is performance. The fps impact of battles with a lot of ships is large already even on the best computers, turning large battles that should be the highlight of our games into something to avoid.
Have yet to see a battle which kills my PC (and I'm playing on ~3 year old hardware). If one does just match the npcs numbers everything should be fine (as those fleets are tiny). If you field hundreds of destroyers (and even more S ships) in one local sector, it will get slow though. More so in asteroid fields.

But then again there is no reason to escalate that much (other than people enjoying pushing the game to it's limits :D ).
HOP fleets can get huge, if you go near a hop murder fleet your fps doesnt drop below 60? Perhaps you are one of those blessed with the ability to not care/notice when fps drops into the teens? I havent found a fight that 'kills' my pc either, its just not enjoyable for me so I leave. Every stream or video I have ever seen (even trailers) has low fps in large battles and my experience is the same.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 15:16

I have noticable FPS drop when I have 3 full carrier battlegroups fighting and I'm there to see it - I think most of FPS drop is when 300+ fighters start to shoot and dogfight 100+ drones launched by Xenon shipyard.

Funny thing is that 3 battlegroups is an overkill, so when I use 1 battlegroup, game is running perfectly fine.

X4 is a first game of the series, where I'm able to run whole fleet battle without performance drop.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 15:30

If there are going to be shield effects, I just hope they give visual feedback on how strong a shield currently is. Without having to look at the specific number in the menu.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 15:37

Also performance optimization, so that 100+ fighters in combat do not murder your frames per second.

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 17:11

I already see my FPS drop when toggling cockpit view on. When I disable cockpits, my FPS go up by 10. Hopefully FPS won’t get worse if this is being implemented.

I’d rather see some flames on destroyed surface elements than shield effects. In Rebirth you could immediately see if your target has functional turrets or not.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 17:38

Axeface wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 15:10
chew-ie wrote:
Axeface wrote:

HOP fleets can get huge, if you go near a hop murder fleet your fps doesnt drop below 60? Perhaps you are one of those blessed with the ability to not care/notice when fps drops into the teens? I havent found a fight that 'kills' my pc either, its just not enjoyable for me so I leave. Every stream or video I have ever seen (even trailers) has low fps in large battles and my experience is the same.
I'm definately not having constant framerates :D Mostly I'm in the range between 30-60 - with the beta making things more stable (especially switching between map & universe). But the way I play the npc factions don't escalate with huge fleets either. I playtested some savegames from other players during the beta where they have like "conquered the whole map" and the player having more assets then the npc factions. But those games aren't "normal" - as you never have the need to accumulate that many assets. Simply because there is no enemy for that. So having a fleet with 6ish destroyers, a carrier & one aux for each theater is all you need to "survive". In this context I'm having a "nice enough performance".

Also I'm ignoring HOP (tradewise and as a faction in terms of reputation - I just don't support them). So without my help they get enough flak to not grow into the beast they used to be. Since beta 4.0 they don't pose any threat to the ARG / ANT anymore, no matter how many times I start a new savegame.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 17:50

chew-ie wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 17:38
Axeface wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 15:10
chew-ie wrote:

I'm definately not having constant framerates :D Mostly I'm in the range between 30-60 - with the beta making things more stable (especially switching between map & universe). But the way I play the npc factions don't escalate with huge fleets either. I playtested some savegames from other players during the beta where they have like "conquered the whole map" and the player having more assets then the npc factions. But those games aren't "normal" - as you never have the need to accumulate that many assets. Simply because there is no enemy for that. So having a fleet with 6ish destroyers, a carrier & one aux for each theater is all you need to "survive". In this context I'm having a "nice enough performance".

Also I'm ignoring HOP (tradewise and as a faction in terms of reputation - I just don't support them). So without my help they get enough flak to not grow into the beast they used to be. Since beta 4.0 they don't pose any threat to the ARG / ANT anymore, no matter how many times I start a new savegame.
Those are similar numbers to me, in larger fights it can sometimes hit the teens, and for me I just cant play like that especially fps is fluctuating a lot. Oh my games are not bloated, I have never had hop take over the universe, ever. In my current game I have 6 destroyers and like 20 fighters and only have 10 stations and 2 dozen miners and traders... I hate bloat and I dont like being able to build so much more than the AI without repercussions so I limit myself. The lag im talking about can be experienced with an hour of starting a new game, just go straight to the ant/arg/hop fights to find large hop fleets (they have a larger quota than other factions i believe).

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 18:18

Axeface wrote:
Maybe target the XL class ships first? Its a valid point though....

gorgofdoom
x4

Post by gorgofdoom » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 19:36

rene6740 wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 17:11
I already see my FPS drop when toggling cockpit view on. When I disable cockpits, my FPS go up by 10. Hopefully FPS won’t get worse if this is being implemented.
Disabling the cockpit unloads your whole ship's model. Hit f2 and then disable your cockpit to see what I mean.

I'll guess your texture resolution set too high for your Vram count if loading one ships model is causing fps loss.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 19:46

gorgofdoom wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 19:36
Disabling the cockpit unloads your whole ship's model. Hit f2 and then disable your cockpit to see what I mean.

I'll guess your texture resolution set too high for your Vram count if loading one ships model is causing fps loss.
Um, no, absolutely none of that is true. Disabling the cockpit just stops the ship from being drawn; it doesn't unload the model, and VRAM has little or nothing to do with any difference in performance in this case. :)

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 20:42

linolafett wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 10:04
I poked the dev who could make it happen again. It just got pushed down by other more urgent tasks.
HA! Awesome so it is on the list!! Thanks for the update!! Woohoo!
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 20:43

Axeface wrote:
No reason Egosoft can't make it an option, on or off....
Take it light.....

Malakie

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:48

If anything this game needs, it is more toggles and switches. </irony> :P

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 21:27

Tamina wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:48
If anything this game needs, it is more toggles and switches. </irony> :P

There is a reason I also backed Star Citizen.. lol I love detail...
Take it light.....

Malakie

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Tue, 9. Mar 21, 19:31

beta 11, that dev made it happen

thank you dev :)
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 9. Mar 21, 20:12

Buzz2005 wrote:
Tue, 9. Mar 21, 19:31
beta 11, that dev made it happen

thank you dev :)
wait wut :o

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Tue, 9. Mar 21, 20:17

Pics or it didn't happen :D

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 9. Mar 21, 20:27

Tamina wrote:
Tue, 9. Mar 21, 20:17
I shot a quick vid, here. Looks like a pretty simple implementation (impact effect switch) but its much better than nothing.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 9. Mar 21, 20:34

Axeface wrote:
Tue, 9. Mar 21, 20:27
Tamina wrote:
Tue, 9. Mar 21, 20:17
I shot a quick vid, here. Looks like a pretty simple implementation (impact effect switch) but its much better than nothing.
Hell yes its a start, not even in the patch notes I think a lot of people would be happy to see this type of thing

Return to “X4: Foundations”