How come there are no shield effects?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Malakie
x4

How come there are no shield effects?

Post by Malakie » Wed, 24. Feb 21, 22:53

I just realized and noticed something.. Something that was always off but I could never figure out exactly what it was until now...

Shield effects. There are none! That's what is missing in combat, which I love watching fleets battle from a 3rd person view.. There are no shield impact effects at all.

Is this an oversight or intention?
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

-Arkangel-

Re: How come there are no shield effects?

Post by -Arkangel- » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 00:44

It is ..... unintelligible since it contributes a lot on an aesthetic level as playable, let's imagine that the shield has tremendous layers of resistance and individual sections after knocking down a section the battle would have to sit on it and it would be very congruent with consistent visual effects
the best shield effect: the nexus jupiter incident fortress shield..a game over 20 years old

efect shield : https://youtu.be/IE1n7dKYm9A?t=219
big hit in the shield...the best: https://youtu.be/L3oGg6lP4zM?t=2050
my dream : https://youtu.be/PC4y2T0-skM?t=137

es.....inentendible ya que aporta mucho a nivel estetico como jugable, imaginemos que el escudo tiene tremenda capasidad de resistencia y secciones individuales tras derribar una seccion la batalla deveria sentrarse en ella y seria muy congruente con efectos visuales acordes
el mejor efecto de escudo : el escudo fortaleza de nexus jupiter incident..un juego con mas de 20 años ya

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 02:47

There is, sort of... I happened to watch some station drones peck an Ody to death this evening and noticed something I hadn’t spotted before. If the shields are up, the weapons detonate a short distance away from the hull - like there’s an invisible shield barrier. Once the shield drops, the impacts hit the hull directly... At least that’s what it looked like! :)

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 09:09

They are doable in mod, as seen in this video.
Though I would like to have them in vanilla game as well and have a bit more control on how and when they appear.
Guess devs just didnt get to them yet, maybe we will see them in 5.0?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 09:16

I recall devs have shields visual on low priority "to do list" since around 2.0.

Keep nagging them so maybe we'll get it for 5.0 :)

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 09:39

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 25. Feb 21, 09:16
I recall devs have shields visual on low priority "to do list" since around 2.0.
Yes I recall this too, I think they are doing their best for performance purposes and rebalancing first, so this will probably come late development which is usually circa 3-4 years after game release for X series (maybe more for X4, its a lot more complicated than previous titles).
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Bastelfred
x4

Post by Bastelfred » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 10:09

There have never been any in X. If there were any, they were mods. Small lightnings at the point of impact were all there used to be.

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 10:19

Shuulo wrote:
Thu, 25. Feb 21, 09:09
Though I would like to have them in vanilla game as well and have a bit more control on how and when they appear.
Wow that is cool! Do you have any info about how they were implemented? Would be cool to have them outside of the mod as well.
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 10:33

Max Bain wrote:
Thu, 25. Feb 21, 10:19
Shuulo wrote:
Wow that is cool! Do you have any info about how they were implemented? Would be cool to have them outside of the mod as well.
Those are few entries in defaults.xml

Code: Select all

<!-- Adding shield hit sounds -->
	<add sel="//dataset[@class='ship_s']/properties/effects">
		<shieldedsurface ref="shield_damage_s" chance="0.1" />
	</add>	
	<add sel="//dataset[@class='ship_m']/properties/effects">
		<shieldedsurface ref="shield_damage_m" chance="0.1"/>
	</add>	
	<add sel="//dataset[@class='ship_l']/properties/effects">
		<shieldedsurface ref="shield_damage_l" threshold="-0.15" chance="0.1"/>
	</add>	
	<add sel="//dataset[@class='ship_xl']/properties/effects">
		<shieldedsurface ref="shield_damage_l" threshold="-0.15"  chance="0.1"/>
	</add>	

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 14:39

Shuulo wrote:
Thu, 25. Feb 21, 10:33
Max Bain wrote:
Thu, 25. Feb 21, 10:19
Shuulo wrote:
Those are few entries in defaults.xml

Code: Select all

<!-- Adding shield hit sounds -->
	<add sel="//dataset[@class='ship_s']/properties/effects">
		<shieldedsurface ref="shield_damage_s" chance="0.1" />
	</add>	
	<add sel="//dataset[@class='ship_m']/properties/effects">
		<shieldedsurface ref="shield_damage_m" chance="0.1"/>
	</add>	
	<add sel="//dataset[@class='ship_l']/properties/effects">
		<shieldedsurface ref="shield_damage_l" threshold="-0.15" chance="0.1"/>
	</add>	
	<add sel="//dataset[@class='ship_xl']/properties/effects">
		<shieldedsurface ref="shield_damage_l" threshold="-0.15"  chance="0.1"/>
	</add>	
Thats all? Why is there a chance of just 10% and if thats all you need to add, it seems that X4 is pretty well prepared for shield effects. So why are they not in vanilla? :gruebel:
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 14:40

I remember a game that had shield effects that I really liked. The shield was broken down into the segments kind of like a soccer ball pattern. you could actually damage each little section separately. I think that was Free Space 2, but I could be wrong. I know it would be a resource and graphics hog, but I would love to have shield impacts and hull damage.
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

KrYcHokE
x4

Post by KrYcHokE » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 14:44

Bastelfred wrote:
Thu, 25. Feb 21, 10:09
There have never been any in X. If there were any, they were mods. Small lightnings at the point of impact were all there used to be.
Ehem. X2 had shield effects, also ships fall apart when destroyed.

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 15:26

...and while speaking about shield effects - I really would like them to redo the one on station landing platforms into something more... liquid looking. That blue texture moving back and forth does not look great.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 13:15

It would be nice to see visually where you hit the shield or the hull, I do think that this is also a precise job for programmers to enact, think of how every item on your ship has shields too, how to combine those, how one shield is hit while the underlying is not hit.
On a station I think it would start as one turret with shield and the next and then the shields kinda flow to each other and so on, filling the whole station in a blob-like shield structure.
I do think it is possible, but give it some time, give the developers time to make something of this actually work, but remember, and it has been said many times before, there is so much else that has a higher priority. (I hit my head also several times against that wall) :wink:
Ps. Computers can make errors, they are made and programmed by error-making humans. :D

taztaz502
x4

Post by taztaz502 » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 13:24

Would be great for visual shields, i wish they also worked differently against different weapons.

e.g. block lasers and energy based weapons 100% until shield is drained, only block like 25% of physical weapons e.g. bolt, and say 75% missile damage, have the missiles blow up when they hit the shield and give minor damage to hull.

This would make hull a more useful ship stat, granted resupply/repair AI would need adjusted since ships would be taking more hull damage thus needing repairs, would make weapon types more variable though and add more flavour.

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Sun, 28. Feb 21, 11:02

.... and a little bit off topic, when they built this game, we watch it through one eye, your screen, and objects that explode are soundly heard, while flying at huge speeds has no effects and gravity is also everywhere, bullets that stop being there at some distance after firing out of a canon (real bullets would keep going, and going)....
Kinda a game that defies all rules of Sir Isaac Newton and the reality of which we should feel ourselves in.

I don't mind that some effects are still not what we want to see or have, but I stll keep in mind that space is dark, not empty at all, but unable to carry sound waves and on top of that, we should all float down there :lol:
(Not that I refer to a classic movie or something :wink: :wink: :wink: )

But maybe, maybe they did find a solution for gravity on ships, like magnetic boots, and force fields... ai, that is a hard thing to realize now, but, if Hollywood can make you believe it, so do a few game makers that successfully let us enter in a make believe world that is very exciting.

So, again, I like what I see, and yes, there should be shields visible, it is EYE CANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ps. Computers can make errors, they are made and programmed by error-making humans. :D

Malakie
x4

Post by Malakie » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 01:44

Shield impact effects should be part of this game.. I play quite a few space games and a whole lot of them use shield impact effects.. What made me realize they were actually missing all this time was Star Citizen... I knew subconsciously they were not appearing but it never hit me until I was trying to actually figure out why things looked off all the time to me.. That was why.
Take it light.....

Malakie

----------------------------------------------------

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 10:04

I poked the dev who could make it happen again. It just got pushed down by other more urgent tasks.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 14:59

linolafett wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 10:04
I poked the dev who could make it happen again. It just got pushed down by other more urgent tasks.
I didnt figured how to make effect work only if above threshold.
Threshold parameter tells the effect when it can work, e.g threshold=0.5 will make effect work only when HP is below 50%, but can i make it reverse? so that effect will play only if if HP is ABOVE 50%?
i guess this will be required for your implementation as well as with constant shield regen large ships will always play shield hit effect unless threshold is implemented

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 15:02

My concern with this is performance. The fps impact of battles with a lot of ships is large already even on the best computers, turning large battles that should be the highlight of our games into something to avoid.

Return to “X4: Foundations”