BETA V4 Effect proposal: Gate crossing for Capships

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

BETA V4 Effect proposal: Gate crossing for Capships

Post by Tomonor » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 18:52

Now that we have a sort of "jumpdrive" for L and XL ships that are queued by the jump gates to speed up the crossing, I got reminded of a now deceased space MMO: "Taikodom - Living Universe".

Here's a link to its gate crossing effect: https://youtu.be/F_ALhvpNQS4?t=718

The effect we have now is okayish, maybe a bit unsatisfactory. In the video, the idea is that the ship may or may not remain stationary around the jump gate, but once the "event horizon" hits, an effect absorbs the ship, it warps the ship's model a bit towards the gate with flashing lights, and basically it looks like as if the ship is sucked into the wormhole.

Not sure if it's doable, but wanted to show it in case Egosoft ran out of ideas ;)

tomchk
x4

Re: BETA V4 Effect proposal: Gate crossing for Capships

Post by tomchk » Thu, 25. Feb 21, 19:47

Great idea!
Care to see what I've been creating? https://www.youtube.com/user/ytubrute

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 01:20

Ive been deployed for a while, and so i am just seeing this for the first time. How to L and XL ships go through gates? It has had a significant change?

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 03:06

I suggested this a while ago and im so glad to see its happened, I think its going to be really nice to not see loads of cap ships derping around gates anymore (and its a big quality of life change for Ls, XLs and fleets). Fleets all jumping out at the same time is very nice. Its one more reason to avoid being in sector struck off the list! Hopefully they can find a way to make the ships appearance a bit more neat, they sometimes appear and then slide around to find their spot, is it possible to keep them invisible until they figure out where they want to end up and then reappear with an effect. Overall it reminds me of how the XTC team did jumpgate collision avoidance, it was really similar.
The effect we have now is okayish, maybe a bit unsatisfactory. In the video, the idea is that the ship may or may not remain stationary around the jump gate, but once the "event horizon" hits, an effect absorbs the ship, it warps the ship's model a bit towards the gate with flashing lights, and basically it looks like as if the ship is sucked into the wormhole.
Not a huge fan of how it looks in that game, but the idea of it as described sounds awesome, a subtle effect that points towards the gate from the ship briefly (something like X4s superhighway blue swirlies?) and then a flash I can imagine looking really good. It would reinforce the idea that this is not ships jumping by themselves, but with the gates anomaly, too.
grapedog wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 01:20
Ive been deployed for a while, and so i am just seeing this for the first time. How to L and XL ships go through gates? It has had a significant change?
https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/ ... tes_in_40/
I saw a freighter travel mode right to a gate, slow down and jump almost before it had even stopped moving - I think it might be faster with better crews? Really cool.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 07:38

Axeface wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 03:06
https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/ ... tes_in_40/
I saw a freighter travel mode right to a gate, slow down and jump almost before it had even stopped moving - I think it might be faster with better crews? Really cool.
Wow. I was skeptical of reintroducing quasi jump drive, but this looks nice and as long as ships still need to park near gate it doesn't make gate defense useless.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 20:18

to be fair dont like how it looks, feels like a cheat/mod :oops: , but then functionality of it makes it a great change, Ls are now worth it, fleets now move better etc...

what would make me love it is effects like OP suggested
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:47

Don't like it at all. Frankly think it's looks awful - by far the worst aspect of 4.0 as far as I'm concerned. Not sure the effects in the video linked by repatomonor would be much of an improvement. If there was an option to turn it off I'd use it in an instant. I have a strong preference for L & XL ships. They often outnumber my smaller vessels by a huge margin (fighters excepted but they don't really count, at least as far as gate travel is concerned, since they are almost always transported long distances by carrier). Still prefer the way they previously used gates. May not be as efficient, but made perfect sense to me that big, lumbering L/XL ships took significantly longer to traverse gates than smaller, more nimble vessels & I was absolutely fine with that.

Otas Elite
x4

Post by Otas Elite » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 12:56

It is more or less a workaround for capships, so they don´t have to cross the gate from behind. I don´t really "like" the solution but it´s still so much better than watching an AI ship approach the gate from the front then slowly wiggle their way around to the back before flying into the gate.

Bastelfred
x4

Post by Bastelfred » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 16:12

Otas Elite wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 12:56
It is more or less a workaround for capships, so they don´t have to cross the gate from behind.
They only have to in the sector you're in. OOS have L/XL no problems with gates.

A better solution in my eyes would be to lower the highways in the gates. So that S+M use the lower third of the gate. The upper 2/3 of the gate gets a left right division and is only for L+XL, right in, left out.

www.bilder-upload.eu/thumb/6d4560-1614784338.jpg

Whoever flies through the gate the wrong way gets a ticket from the sector police.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 01:15

Bastelfred wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 16:12

Whoever flies through the gate the wrong way gets a ticket from the sector police.
Or just dies when they crash into a builder ship while going 8000kph... like in older games. Always a bit of a rush!

Bastelfred
x4

Post by Bastelfred » Thu, 4. Mar 21, 12:03

grapedog wrote:
Thu, 4. Mar 21, 01:15
Bastelfred wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 16:12

Or just dies when they crash into a builder ship while going 8000kph... like in older games. Always a bit of a rush!
In X4 the penalty is different, you will find yourself 1-3 RL days flight time away from the sector center. Without teleporter and backup ship, this is about identical to dying.

Return to “X4: Foundations”