Future season passes?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

grapedog
x4

Future season passes?

Post by grapedog » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 01:12

With the release soon of CoH, and the original collectors edition pirchase with "2 free DLCs" being complete, will EGO be offering another season pass discounting future DLC contemt, like a season 2 pass, or are there no plans for this?

Manawydn
x4

Re: Future season passes?

Post by Manawydn » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 05:23

I'd buy it.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 07:00

I figure I still owe Egosoft for two decades of happy gaming, even with the few blips here and there, and it'd be a good way to express my continued support. There's a huge amount of content the game still could do with, especially around QoL, and release of a second Season Pass would both be their way of assuring us they'll continue to develop the game. - I would love them, after the release of CoH, to ask what we'd like to see in future DLCs. It's always been Egosoft's way to work with the community, and perhaps the game will be mature enough by then to see about integrating a few community mods in such additional content. - I may be wrong, but the modding community seems a little less active with X4, but that may be my mistake, or simply a reflection of the game still being in development.

I really do want to see a new race, in addition to the Boron, at some point, with a totally new series of technologies. Hell, we could have an insectoid race, the 'swarm'** enemy of the Khaak, who come to our rescue after a second President's End event.

So, yeah, I would buy it too.

===

** Narrator: He meant, sworn, and thought he was being clever. Sadly, as on every other occasion, he failed.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 12:36

Personally, I would like a second Season Pass option WITHOUT discounting the DLCs.

I actually want to give Egosoft the full price, but still be able to support them beforehand season-pass-style... that is if they actually need the money now.

If not then I can wait... :D

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 12:43

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 12:36
Personally, I would like a second Season Pass option WITHOUT discounting the DLCs.

I actually want to give Egosoft the full price, but still be able to support them beforehand season-pass-style... that is if they actually need the money now.
Same here :)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 12:51

As happy and content owner of Collector Edition, I'd probably pre-order it, even if I'm rather hostile to "Season pass" and "preorders" concepts.

However, I think it would be better of Egosoft made Borons as DLC3 and then move to X4 equivalent of X3:TC, where all X4 content is merged into one new stand alone title.

The more DLC X4 has, the more Egosoft will have problems with content partition - like people having diffrent mix of DLC.

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 13:43

Preorder and upfront payed season passes are a terrible monetization concept that cannot be more anti consumer. We all can see what happened because ppl keep supporting those concepts. We get unfinished games that get abandoned or sell fixes as payed dlc’s.

Don’t wanna argue against Egosoft, they keep supporting their games beyond release, which is great, but I’m not a fan of season passes. This will just ultimately lead to ongoing subscriptions for content that may not be released. Also, no one knows if the contents of the dlc’s are actually worth it.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 14:01

rene6740 wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 13:43
Preorder and upfront payed season passes are a terrible monetization concept that cannot be more anti consumer. We all can see what happened because ppl keep supporting those concepts. We get unfinished games that get abandoned or sell fixes as payed dlc’s.
In general, yes. In the case of Egosoft it is not IMHO. As with all things, a black & white concept can't be applied everywhere. In our case here we have a "company" of space enthusiasts who do the same thing with passion for more then 20 years. It's not like your common big game studio which has some mobile & online & card games running to keep the cash flowing 'n stuff. Egosoft is "just" making this one great space game which - in a gametime / money ratio is heavily underpriced. (there are publishers out there in the space game / 4x department who make squeeze money out of every little expansion) So I personally appreciate it if I can give something back for having so much fun with a single game title.
rene6740 wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 13:43
Also, no one knows if the contents of the dlc’s are actually worth it.
That guarantee can't be given no matter what - as it is highly subjective.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 16:23

Egosoft is the only company I trust enough to actually consider these from.
I got the "first?" as part of the Collector's edition.
I will get another one if Egosoft decides to add them as I don't think they'd sell them if they didn't plan them already.

DLC3: Boron (pretty please?)
DLC4: Piracy factions with shipyards and such and maybe a new race?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 16:28

Pirate, Khaak and Xenon updates should be part of base game free updates, not the DLC.

New race would be hard as we already exhausted most of sci-fi tropes with current races.

The only know races that haven't been expanded:
- a race of giant water whales in one of the planets - too similar to Boron
- ancients - too OP

The only viable option for DLC4 would be reintroduction (not perfect, many ships are not fit for X4 ballance and game logic) of X-Rebirth region and factions.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 16:36

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 16:28
Pirate, Khaak and Xenon updates should be part of base game free updates, not the DLC.

New race would be hard as we already exhausted most of sci-fi tropes with current races.

insectoids?
- ancients - too OP

The only viable option for DLC4 would be reintroduction (not perfect, many ships are not fit for X4 ballance and game logic) of X-Rebirth region and factions.
Other possible option, remnants of some ancient civilization, leading to some unique ship design blueprints with matching equipment?

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 16:48

Roeleveld wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 16:36
mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 16:28

insectoids?
- ancients - too OP

Other possible option, remnants of some ancient civilization, leading to some unique ship design blueprints with matching equipment?
There’s a few other races as well:

The Helpers: Uplifted the Boron species, might be the ancients. Probably too powerful though

In the books there’s a pterodactyl like race that attacks an Argon ship: Probably Khaak as soon after there is a massive invasion.

Spaceflies: Boso seems to think they are sentient, although technically in the game they don’t appear.

#Efaa:
Spoiler
Show
Xenon who with #Defa abandon the Xenon and form their own group. Fled the galaxy in X3:Yoshiko. Possibly return?
The outsiders?: From another dimension, at war with the ancients. Probably to OP
Spoiler
Show
In an X3 plot, I think a Soujen mentioned another gate network. Possibly some in there? Weren’t the Khaak from that gate network?
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 17:13

Teladi CEO wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 16:48

There’s a few other races as well:

The Helpers: Uplifted the Boron species, might be the ancients. Probably too powerful though

In the books there’s a pterodactyl like race that attacks an Argon ship: Probably Khaak as soon after there is a massive invasion.

Spaceflies: Boso seems to think they are sentient, although technically in the game they don’t appear.
We do harvest their eggs and turn them into omelets.
#Efaa:
Spoiler
Show
Xenon who with #Defa abandon the Xenon and form their own group. Fled the galaxy in X3:Yoshiko. Possibly return?
Might not be too OP, so could work.
The outsiders?: From another dimension, at war with the ancients. Probably to OP
Spoiler
Show
In an X3 plot, I think a Soujen mentioned another gate network. Possibly some in there? Weren’t the Khaak from that gate network?
That makes me think of a few interesting ones:
- The lost colonies of the Terrans (Are we certain they were all destroyed? Maybe some remnants survived somewhere, other than the Argon)
- Khaak homeworld (We only see some outposts, but no direct contact) And why are we always at war? Wouldn't peace and trade be an option?
- Some ancient race that isn't interested in conquest anymore. Really powerful ships, but require level-10 relations just to be alllowed a scout-class ship, level-20 for transports and miners and level-30 for S/M military ships. And this race doesn't allow any type of combat in their sectors. (good luck getting the relation up if firing a weapon inside their sectors reduces it)

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 17:22

- The lost colonies of the Terrans (Are we certain they were all destroyed? Maybe some remnants survived somewhere, other than the Argon)
- Khaak homeworld (We only see some outposts, but no direct contact) And why are we always at war? Wouldn't peace and trade be an option?
- Some ancient race that isn't interested in conquest anymore. Really powerful ships, but require level-10 relations just to be alllowed a scout-class ship, level-20 for transports and miners and level-30 for S/M military ships. And this race doesn't allow any type of combat in their sectors. (good luck getting the relation up if firing a weapon inside their sectors reduces it)
Aldrin survived because of #Deca, though its fate is unknown after the jumpgate shutdown. It’s not impossible to assume some other colonies we’re under the radar and survived the Terraformers or were saved by a friendly terraformer.

I may be wrong, but the reason the galaxy is at war with the Khaak started over a dispute on Nividium which is sacred to Khaak. The Paranid then started attacking Khaak ships leading to an all out war, I think the Khaak homeworld is destroyed now because of it.

That’s an interesting idea, how would it weave into lore? Would we be able to interact with them? It wouldn’t follow typical science fictions tropes because the aren’t trying to purge the galaxy for some reason, I like that.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Fri, 26. Feb 21, 17:35

Teladi CEO wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 17:22
Aldrin survived because of #Deca, though its fate is unknown after the jumpgate shutdown. It’s not impossible to assume some other colonies we’re under the radar and survived the Terraformers or were saved by a friendly terraformer.
Is there a link to where this is further explained? I never did get into X3 due to the interface and missed out on those stories.
I may be wrong, but the reason the galaxy is at war with the Khaak started over a dispute on Nividium which is sacred to Khaak. The Paranid then started attacking Khaak ships leading to an all out war, I think the Khaak homeworld is destroyed now because of it.
Some colony then?
I think it would be fun to be able to become friends with the Khaak through some plot-line. (Fully optional, obviously)
That’s an interesting idea, how would it weave into lore? Would we be able to interact with them? It wouldn’t follow typical science fictions tropes because the aren’t trying to purge the galaxy for some reason, I like that.
The lore is that the Ancients is actually a collection of ancient races. I don't think it specifically mentions that they all disappeared apart from the Sonen(?)
And yes, we would be able to interact with them as you'd start at level-0 relationship when encountering them. They'd also stay mostly in their own sectors with only a small amount of ships visible in the outer sectors. In order to find them, you'd need to follow one of their ships first to find the hidden gate. (Location of which is randomized upon start of the game, leading to a distant group of sectors)

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Sat, 27. Feb 21, 03:49

yes, we would be able to interact with them as you'd start at level-0 relationship when encountering them. They'd also stay mostly in their own sectors with only a small amount of ships visible in the outer sectors. In order to find them, you'd need to follow one of their ships first to find the hidden gate. (Location of which is randomized upon start of the game, leading to a distant group of sectors).
I meant landing on their docks, seeing their race ect. Also, wouldn’t they require their own economy or does stuff just magically appear?
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

vadiolive
x4

Post by vadiolive » Sat, 27. Feb 21, 08:04

waiting for X5 , i have fews disagree with fews X4 Systems/Concept/Desing

:)

Pesanur
x4

Post by Pesanur » Sat, 27. Feb 21, 09:12

Roeleveld wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 17:13
- Yes, is to be great to have the Aldrins back.
- We see in X3TC the Khaak homeworld, in the plot to reconnect Aldrin with Sol. The Terrans used the Hub to disconnect the Khaak homeworld from the gates net.
- Interact with the Shonen? This can be interesting.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Sat, 27. Feb 21, 10:56

Teladi CEO wrote:
Sat, 27. Feb 21, 03:49
yes, we would be able to interact with them as you'd start at level-0 relationship when encountering them. They'd also stay mostly in their own sectors with only a small amount of ships visible in the outer sectors. In order to find them, you'd need to follow one of their ships first to find the hidden gate. (Location of which is randomized upon start of the game, leading to a distant group of sectors).
I meant landing on their docks, seeing their race ect. Also, wouldn’t they require their own economy or does stuff just magically appear?
For a race so far advanced, I would expect different components.
I would expect NVidium to be an important source for them (Finally a proper use for that) and that being a possible starting point.
And yes, landing on their stations, maybe originally only on trading stations? and seeing would definitely be an option.

@Egosoft: If you like this idea, please use it.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Sat, 27. Feb 21, 11:00

Pesanur wrote:
Sat, 27. Feb 21, 09:12
Roeleveld wrote:
Fri, 26. Feb 21, 17:13
- Yes, is to be great to have the Aldrins back.
- We see in X3TC the Khaak homeworld, in the plot to reconnect Aldrin with Sol. The Terrans used the Hub to disconnect the Khaak homeworld from the gates net.
In other words, it still exists. So lore-wise an option.
- Interact with the Shonen? This can be interesting.
Yep.

I think there are plenty of options for additional expansions. If only we would get some input from developers on what they think about these ideas.
Preferably at least a "yes, nice idea, we'll think about it"

Return to “X4: Foundations”