magnifier glasses (zoom in view)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

capitalduty

magnifier glasses (zoom in view)

Post by capitalduty » Sun, 28. Feb 21, 01:41

As in title, how about adding this feature back? -Its was really nice thing to have on X3.

Example: You can stand on the bridge of a capital ship and look far out in the distance a fight or stare at traffic!

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: magnifier glasses (zoom in view)

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 28. Feb 21, 01:48

Might have technical reasons not to support this. Due to the attention system objects far away are less detailed and have less detailed simulations applied to them. From normal view this looks fine due to how small the objects are, but if they were zoomed in then this reduction in simulation quality may be more apparent and the result of this lower quality simulation might be not that useful for the player to see.

You can always select far-off objects and then use the remote camera hotkey to view them. As they are then near the camera, they are in a very high attention level.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Sun, 28. Feb 21, 11:39

But this feature is fully in, in fact, I use it to record footage. It's called Mass Driver. The Paranid sells it.

capitalduty

Post by capitalduty » Sun, 28. Feb 21, 15:08

Well I am more interested on have at least a little bit more of zoom when walking on a station/ship...not asking to zoom in more than 10Km-15Km away though, i hope that with this in mind technical limitations doesnt apply, cause still should be on high attention zone.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 28. Feb 21, 15:34

Unfortunately, with X4, we have "video enhancement goggles, not installed". I would rather have them though with poor resolution details than not have them at all.

Bastelfred
x4

Post by Bastelfred » Sun, 28. Feb 21, 18:38

Imperial Good wrote:
Sun, 28. Feb 21, 01:48
Might have technical reasons not to support this. Due to the attention system objects far away are less detailed and have less detailed simulations applied to them. From normal view this looks fine due to how small the objects are, but if they were zoomed in then this reduction in simulation quality may be more apparent and the result of this lower quality simulation might be not that useful for the player to see.
That's not how it works... You just set a new camera position in the room. You don't just enlarge the view of the current position. So it has no technical reasons, it is just not present in the game.
The functionality of a zoom could be observed very well in a MP shooter some time ago. The server assigned the camera positions wrongly, in the zoom you looked again and again through the scope of another player. Another time the position was not set correctly, you always saw the same place, like a fixed security camera.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 1. Mar 21, 01:04

Bastelfred wrote:
Sun, 28. Feb 21, 18:38
That's not how it works... You just set a new camera position in the room. You don't just enlarge the view of the current position. So it has no technical reasons, it is just not present in the game.
You cannot do this since then it would give you "x-ray vision" as your camera could pass through objects that reside between you and where you are looking. This is not how "zoom" works. I think it is usually done by decreasing field of view, or applying other vertex transformations.
Bastelfred wrote:
Sun, 28. Feb 21, 18:38
The functionality of a zoom could be observed very well in a MP shooter some time ago. The server assigned the camera positions wrongly, in the zoom you looked again and again through the scope of another player. Another time the position was not set correctly, you always saw the same place, like a fixed security camera.
Looking through scopes does require a camera offset since the scope itself has a physical length. The camera must be moved to the end of the scope so that perspective and what gets drawn is correct.

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Mon, 1. Mar 21, 03:33

I have this modded into my game, a zoom-in hotkey. It does it by changing the fov.

However, during development I found that fov changes can get really janky, since there is drift between the fov values applied in code and the actual fov of the camera. For instance, if the default (starting fov) is found to have a value of "10" and corresponds to camera fov of 90 degrees (or whatever it is), then setting fov "9" will zoom in a little bit, but returning to fov "10" will not go back to 90 degrees, but instead has some drift.

In testing, I found there were a couple stable fov multipliers I could apply that can be reversed without drift, so those are what I tied my hotkey to.

(I also had a fov slider mod, but the drift problems made it basically unuseable for normal play.)

Return to “X4: Foundations”