The 'sail' on the Terran carrier

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

How do you like the new sail on the Terran carrier (as seen in trailer)

I love it!
22%
I like it
13%
I'm OK with it, don't care
18%
I don't like it
32%
I hate it!
15%

Total votes: 211

Repli
x4

Re: The 'sail' on the Terran carrier

Post by Repli » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 20:17

Prosik wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 19:35

Or maybe its a pirate base? Those used to be made out of ships in X3.
I like this idea :) A mobile pirate-base with ship-production capabilities in it :D

Prosik
x3tc

Post by Prosik » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 20:20

A passive array perhaps.
Active we can do much much better size/range than that could do even 20 years ago.
1000NM with older radar technology which has been made obsolete because of expensive replacement parts.

Cybertrigger
x4

Post by Cybertrigger » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 20:53

If that is a military ship and the "sail" doesnt has guns mounted on it and just the base ship has it then most likely the ship has a huge deadzone from which it can be attacked without that it can fire back.

I personally dislike the design, it doesnt seem very convenient and makes the ship very bulky not to mention more ship that the stupid ai can fly into lol.

a radiator would be kind of odd because no air in space means no transfer of the heat into the air like a radiator would do.
long range sensor could make sense or solar panels for some kind of mobile base ship that could produce some things on its own.
a mobile base ship i would like to produce some parts in different sector without the need for a station, maybe just parts in low quantities to manufacture things to resupply your own fleet and it would just need to collect/buy ore to do so.

Matterom
x4

Post by Matterom » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 20:57

To my understanding the description reads that the solar sail acts as more of a delta V cheat on long voyages to the outer reaches of the solar system where fuel is scarse.
My Mods:
Sector Administration: A Tax Mod

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:04

Space ships would have skin radiators for getting rid of excess heat or the crew and systems would cook (and weapons would never cool). In vacuum the transfer is indeed by radiation (since air convection is lacking) and so radiant surface area is key. However, they probably wouldn't need to be that big as add-ons unless there was an onboard foundry or two - and they would make a heck of a target for heatseekers as well as making the slightest stealth impossible.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Cybertrigger
x4

Post by Cybertrigger » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:11

a long distance travel ship would make the most sense , probably at a point got repurposed for a different task and that sail is a left over piece from its previous tasks it was used for.

Marco Nero
x3

Post by Marco Nero » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:19

I dont write often on the forum, but i'm here every single day to read some news.

I really can not understand people who are dissappointed about the sail.

I was looking on the Trailer after months we are waiting for it...and when i see that sail i was to one other planet for the happiness and astonishment.

If i was an Artist, maybe, this idea could never arrive to my mind, it's simply WONDERFUL.

A typical sign of the Terran race: a sail. "The pirates".."The ages of discovery".. "Carthago vs Rome" and so on.. the sail it's a natural symbol of the Terran race.

I was out of breath when i see it and i thinked: "it's a genious who thinked about this" ... and I could not believe in the genius of choice.

I warmly renew my congratulations to the artistic team who could dare so much, you are sometimes misunderstood but sometimes not, you are fantastic, thanks for the sensations you make us fee.

Greetings from Italy

Stay Safe!

(and sorry my bad English :wink: )

nemo1887
x4

Post by nemo1887 » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:28

This is all nonsense!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:30

But it's *our* nonsense! :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:34

I love it! Of all the factions, I think it fits the best with the Terrans, as their ships are quite thin and "planar". Definitely one of the "wow" moments of the trailer for me.

Repli
x4

Post by Repli » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:35

...and in the end we get many many real cool looking ships and maybe one that does not suite all tastes. Nowadays enough reason to be :evil: , huh? :)

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:43

"Hoist up the John B sails ..." humdidum... :-)

If it really is a mast and a sail, then how about an inflatable palm on the foreship, and a bar where some of the NPCs out of uniform serve drinks and snacks ? On the rocks if in an icy asteroid field ? SCA could have Jack the undead monkey in the crow's nest and a black flag flying ?

We're in a game with loose physics anyway, so why bother ? Opinions can change, it looks as cool as any other fittings, attachments, accessory that can be found on X4's ships. Paranid destroyers remind me of princess Vespa's hairdryer ...

Solar sails don't work in the distant region of a solar system, and anyway they rely on different physical principles than wind driven sails.
Last edited by BaronVerde on Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:57, edited 3 times in total.

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:51

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 21:30
But it's *our* nonsense! :D
And we can name it like we want :)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Hero77
x4

Post by Hero77 » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 22:22

Liking the sail. Makes the design more interesting. Also like that we now have more non-symetrical ship designs.

New ships look pretty good in general in the new trailer.
i7-5960X @4Ghz 8 Cores, RTX 2080 Founders Edition, 64GB DDR4 RAM

palm911
x4

Post by palm911 » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 23:05

abisha1980 wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 18:51
palm911 wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 17:40
LandogarX4 wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 14:18
What's your opinion?

why would a ship need a sail in space? makes no sense
sails in space is a real thing, they can move objects by solar wind. it's even so much momentum transformation you can in theory move whole whole planet (if you have enough square space)

so scientific fact (100%) can you move that amount of mass (doubtful need a whole lot more sails then)
it messes with the aesthetic of that ship. it really does.
X gamer , one at a time.

sh1pman
x4

Post by sh1pman » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 23:14

I really hope that it’s a mobile solar power plant or something like that, and the “sail” actually has a gameplay purpose and explanation. If it does, I like the idea. If not, I hate it instead.

kobayashimaru
x4

Post by kobayashimaru » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 00:14

I don't like the sail at all. It doesn't fit in and looks stupid, to be honest.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 00:59

For someone who like asymetrical and interesting concepts I like it. :mrgreen:

This one looks like the Mobile Mining Base Ship from X3 TC too :o

SwizzleStick86
x4

Post by SwizzleStick86 » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 01:10

From watching the video I counted 2 M docks and 8 S docks, but the model appears smaller than most aux ships (though not but a huge margine)..wouldn't surprise me to find out it is a pirate faction ship (since the pirate factions in the past have often used modified ships from the other races). So maybe a pirate makeshift-carrier?
"It can only be attributable to human error."
-HAL 9000

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 01:19

SwizzleStick86 wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 01:10
From watching the video I counted 2 M docks and 8 S docks, but the model appears smaller than most aux ships (though not but a huge margine)..wouldn't surprise me to find out it is a pirate faction ship (since the pirate factions in the past have often used modified ships from the other races). So maybe a pirate makeshift-carrier?
I was looking at the logo on the ship with the sail and trying to figure out what it is. The logo with the ring (torus) a planet and a moon im going to assume is the main terran faction, but the sail ship does not have this one. The logo on this sail ship is different. It does however have the same white/red colouring of the main terran faction ships, which is a bit bewildering. We know we have 3 factions in CoH right? The main terrans, the offshoot terrans and the yaki. We have seen terran ships and stations with white/red and white/blue colouring, who is more likely to sport the same white/red as the main terran faction, the yaki or the offshoot terrans?

Return to “X4: Foundations”