The 'sail' on the Terran carrier

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

How do you like the new sail on the Terran carrier (as seen in trailer)

I love it!
22%
I like it
13%
I'm OK with it, don't care
18%
I don't like it
32%
I hate it!
15%

Total votes: 211

sh1pman
x4

Re: The 'sail' on the Terran carrier

Post by sh1pman » Tue, 2. Mar 21, 23:14

I really hope that it’s a mobile solar power plant or something like that, and the “sail” actually has a gameplay purpose and explanation. If it does, I like the idea. If not, I hate it instead.

kobayashimaru
x4

Post by kobayashimaru » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 00:14

I don't like the sail at all. It doesn't fit in and looks stupid, to be honest.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 00:59

For someone who like asymetrical and interesting concepts I like it. :mrgreen:

This one looks like the Mobile Mining Base Ship from X3 TC too :o

SwizzleStick86
x4

Post by SwizzleStick86 » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 01:10

From watching the video I counted 2 M docks and 8 S docks, but the model appears smaller than most aux ships (though not but a huge margine)..wouldn't surprise me to find out it is a pirate faction ship (since the pirate factions in the past have often used modified ships from the other races). So maybe a pirate makeshift-carrier?
"It can only be attributable to human error."
-HAL 9000

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 01:19

SwizzleStick86 wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 01:10
From watching the video I counted 2 M docks and 8 S docks, but the model appears smaller than most aux ships (though not but a huge margine)..wouldn't surprise me to find out it is a pirate faction ship (since the pirate factions in the past have often used modified ships from the other races). So maybe a pirate makeshift-carrier?
I was looking at the logo on the ship with the sail and trying to figure out what it is. The logo with the ring (torus) a planet and a moon im going to assume is the main terran faction, but the sail ship does not have this one. The logo on this sail ship is different. It does however have the same white/red colouring of the main terran faction ships, which is a bit bewildering. We know we have 3 factions in CoH right? The main terrans, the offshoot terrans and the yaki. We have seen terran ships and stations with white/red and white/blue colouring, who is more likely to sport the same white/red as the main terran faction, the yaki or the offshoot terrans?

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 01:28

Axeface wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 01:19
I was looking at the logo on the ship with the sail and trying to figure out what it is.
*coughs in shame*

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 01:28

repatomonor wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 01:28
Axeface wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 01:19
I was looking at the logo on the ship with the sail and trying to figure out what it is.
*coughs in shame*
Dammit I knew I had seen it somewhere lol.

Vertigo 7
x4

Re: The 'sail' on not the Terran carrier

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 01:39

That same logo is visible on the actual carrier at 1:39 and sorta visible on all the ships that launch from it shortly after.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

SwizzleStick86
x4

Post by SwizzleStick86 » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 01:49

Hmm, well I don't want to wait 2 weeks to find out..lol
"It can only be attributable to human error."
-HAL 9000

DavidGW
x4

Post by DavidGW » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 03:17

I suspect if you give it a reddish-brown paint job and an obese Boron captain, it shall manage to find the largest nesting killer space fly mama in the galaxy.

<hint/spoiler> Boba Fett gets eaten by the giant space fly </hint/spoiler>

Back on topic, I like it. It's different.

Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 04:23

palm911 wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 23:05
abisha1980 wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 18:51
palm911 wrote:
Tue, 2. Mar 21, 17:40

why would a ship need a sail in space? makes no sense
sails in space is a real thing, they can move objects by solar wind. it's even so much momentum transformation you can in theory move whole whole planet (if you have enough square space)

so scientific fact (100%) can you move that amount of mass (doubtful need a whole lot more sails then)
it messes with the aesthetic of that ship. it really does.
Exactly! Beautiful sleek lines, and then that thing. Almost looks bolted on as an afterthought.
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 05:05

It's a backup to use solar wind, in case the engines fail or run out of fuel.

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 08:01

Jeraal wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 04:23
Exactly! Beautiful sleek lines, and then that thing. Almost looks bolted on as an afterthought.
Don't think so. The sail even somewhat mirrors the base shape of the ship (the part without the half-circle) and thus even gives some symmetry to the design (in a 3-dimensional way).

Besides, not everything must be beautiful or aesthetically pleasing. It's good to sometimes have some exotic in designs.

But I find it very funny how such a simple thing can lead to so long discussions :D I hope that this will not reduce DLC sales though).

|K.O.S.H.
x3tc

Post by |K.O.S.H. » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 08:33

The point is not, that ship has a "sail", but that the "sail" exactly looks like a sail.
With the pole, ropes and the sail itself.

There are many examples of how solar sails could look.
With a real solar sail ist would really be a cool thing,but this one looks like a child kitbashed a pirate ship and a half cut star destroyer...
Wing Commander Mod - German Topic
06.07.11 - v1.1 RELEASED!

|K.O.S.H.
x3tc

Post by |K.O.S.H. » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 08:50

https://i.ibb.co/zPPS5J6/no-sail.png

fixed it! (sorry i used paint)
Last edited by CBJ on Wed, 3. Mar 21, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Oversized image replaced with link
Wing Commander Mod - German Topic
06.07.11 - v1.1 RELEASED!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 09:00

One neat idea for the future, would be to have fold in / fold out animation for the sail, so that whenever you like it or hate it you would be happy.

Newinger
x4

Post by Newinger » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 09:18

|K.O.S.H. wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 08:33
The point is not, that ship has a "sail", but that the "sail" exactly looks like a sail.
With the pole, ropes and the sail itself.

There are many examples of how solar sails could look.
With a real solar sail ist would really be a cool thing,but this one looks like a child kitbashed a pirate ship and a half cut star destroyer...
But who says that it is really a solar sail (in the sense that it is uses solar winds to move the ship, like in that one DS9 episode). In my headcanon, I still think it is a sensor platform. Like the ugly AWACS devices on top of airplanes. Only that this X4 ship is not ugly.

Wehrwolf_10
x4

Post by Wehrwolf_10 » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 11:27

|K.O.S.H. wrote:
Wed, 3. Mar 21, 08:50
https://i.ibb.co/zPPS5J6/no-sail.png

fixed it! (sorry i used paint)
I would like the developers to add a variation of the ship without a sail. Even if a ship without a sail will have the worst performance.

Dj_FRedy
x4

Post by Dj_FRedy » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 12:06

Query results for: Honshu
Spoiler
Show
<t id="63401">Honshu</t>
<t id="63411">This auxiliary ship, the Honshu(same as {20101, 63401}), is noticeably slower than competitors' supply ships. While other ships of this type are usually aimed at providing immediate, short-term support for a fleet, this ship is designed to take part in long-distance operations that often lead Terran Protectorate fleets far away from Sol, and far also from allied harbours. For this reason, the design sacrifices speed for an exceptionally large storage capacity. However, this is not the only part of the ship that is engineered for long-range travel. Its most distinctive visual feature is its solar sail, which generates additional energy that can be made available to the ship's systems during extended journeys into hostile space.</t>
"All my contributions to the Technical Support and Public Beta Feedback sections will be concise and to the point, no diatribes, that's what the other sections are for".
Thank you for your efforts.

Bastelfred
x4

Post by Bastelfred » Wed, 3. Mar 21, 12:25

Egosoft is just screwing with us here!!!

If this were a ship on the water, this sail would be almost useless. Because much too small for the size of the ship. In space, it would simply have no use at all.

haha @Egosoft nice try, what's next? A water based life form in spaceships? Oh wait... this is a spoiler for the next DLC. Boron DLC confirmed for 2022!!!

Return to “X4: Foundations”