[Poll]Do you like Odysseus's shape?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Do you like Odysseus's shape?

Poll ended at Tue, 26. Dec 23, 01:56

Odysseus is ugly, like a hair dryer.
77%
Odysseus is beautiful.
23%

Total votes: 127

MegaJohnny
x4

Re: Do you like Odysseus's shape?

Post by MegaJohnny » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 16:36

I have to admit I'm not a fan.

If I had a magic wand, I'd like to remove its M-dock. I think it's a really cool idea to have an M-dock on an L-ship, but I feel it's the source of the Oddy's chunkiness.

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 17:11

To me it looks like a toilet. Don’t we all like to have toilets?

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 17:29

paraskous wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 07:55
The hair dreier design is a homage to Dietmar Schönherr and Raumpatrouille Orion. Look out for showerheads, too.
I always kind of felt, especially with XR, that it was partially inspired by "German Sci-Fi". While the US sci fi is all about cool industrial space ships pew pew, German Sci-Fi portrays the future as weird and different, just for the sake of it.
However, in what way is this particular ship connected to Raumpatrouille Orion? It looks significantly different than the shows ship - never saw that show so maybe there are other ships but Google does not give me any results.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

paraskous
x4

Post by paraskous » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 23:06

Tamina wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 17:29
paraskous wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 07:55
The hair dreier design is a homage to Dietmar Schönherr and Raumpatrouille Orion. Look out for showerheads, too.
I always kind of felt, especially with XR, that it was partially inspired by "German Sci-Fi". While the US sci fi is all about cool industrial space ships pew pew, German Sci-Fi portrays the future as weird and different, just for the sake of it.
However, in what way is this particular ship connected to Raumpatrouille Orion? It looks significantly different than the shows ship - never saw that show so maybe there are other ships but Google does not give me any results.
The show used an assortmernt of household appliances for control surfaces, levers and instruments. Pencil sharpeners as dials, showerheads for comm receivers - you name it. For a low budget it was not too bad, the b/w gives it its believable touch. The design was futuristic enough and if you visit competitor Frontier development forum right now - they run sort of early access of their new expansion - commanders just got legs and there is some fun made about tools and weapons looking akin to staplers, hairdryers and such.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 23:19

Tamina wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 17:29
[..] Raumpatrouille Orion? [..] never saw that show [..]
O.m.f.g :o Please do so at your earliest convenience :wink:

---

I voted "ugly" as there are way too few details. While the "better" PAR ships like the Zeus fit the Paranid theme of X² & X³ the Odysseus is really the worst ship in the whole X4 arsenal and I'd appreciate a complete remake. Especially X³ Odysseus and Deimos (which is somewhat resembling the X4 Selene) teach how a proper Paranid combat vessel has to look like.

Also, the armament blows everything out of proportion - they are cramped & suggest that the ship design came first and the turret placement after. Looking at all other X4 ships I'd say the Odysseus was one of the first attempts where both workflow and toolchain wasn't as clearly defined as it is now (e.g. compare how Lino described the dev phases of the creation of a ship like the ascard).

So .. I hope at least the Oddy gets a refactoring. I used to like PAR ships, but in X4 they are just .. meh. Give me back the Medusa, Susanova (Yaki Susanova!), Deimos, real Oddy, Agamemnon... you name it :)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Drumma

Post by Drumma » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 23:35

krlc wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 05:30
I never had any Ody in fleet because I don't like how it looks, would ruin immersion for me.
+1 I don't like they way they look either. I've seen them described as is in this thread or a ray gun. I don't like the Paranids either; they remind me of brown recluse spiders with those three eyes.

for those who don't know brown recluses are one of the only arachnids with three pairs of eyes instead of 4 pair. I know since I have intimate knowledge of those little rascals.

GL HF

helgard
x4

Post by helgard » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 00:31

Lander1979 wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 05:47
Honestly I think the Xenon Cap Ships would be good Paranid ships... Xenon are supposed to be Megalithic Flying Toasters not metallic bugs.
This.. kind of lame than Xenon looks like bugs.. forgive my french.. but they should look more like Borgs.. efficiency over design..

Olfrygt

Post by Olfrygt » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 00:57

NightmareNight91 wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 08:04
I would pay for a dlc that updates all vanilla factions to be on par with split/terran ships....just sayin
Truth............i would even pay 30€.
helgard wrote:
Fri, 2. Apr 21, 00:31
Lander1979 wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 05:47
Honestly I think the Xenon Cap Ships would be good Paranid ships... Xenon are supposed to be Megalithic Flying Toasters not metallic bugs.
This.. kind of lame than Xenon looks like bugs.. forgive my french.. but they should look more like Borgs.. efficiency over design..
Yep!

Baronfuming
x4

Post by Baronfuming » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 02:53

It has a distinctive 'silhouette' when fighting it from the front. Very intimidating. I do think that the textures look a bit low-resolution though.
Fait l'argent

al_dude
x4

Post by al_dude » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 03:34

My only issue is that paint job doesn't really work on the ship.

Other than that, it's probably the most well-rounded destroyer.

x4

Post by 13913408324 » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 04:28

I like S and M class ships,but the L and XL......those turrets are attached to the surface of the ship like rubber mud.........more details should be added

x4

Post by 13913408324 » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 04:36

MegaJohnny wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 16:36
I have to admit I'm not a fan.

If I had a magic wand, I'd like to remove its M-dock. I think it's a really cool idea to have an M-dock on an L-ship, but I feel it's the source of the Oddy's chunkiness.
Agree!

x4

Post by 13913408324 » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 08:12

Pares wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 09:45
The turrets on the Paranid capital ships need to be redesigned. Those rectangular cutouts look really ugly, but also those huge L turrets really don't fit the overall curvy design at all, especially on the nose of the Odysseus. I would pay gladly for a DLC that facelifts some of the 1.0 ships to the quality of ships in SV and CoH.
"I would pay for a dlc that updates all vanilla factions to be on par with split/terran ships" :rant:

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 08:30

13913408324 wrote:
Fri, 2. Apr 21, 08:12
Pares wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 09:45
The turrets on the Paranid capital ships need to be redesigned. Those rectangular cutouts look really ugly, but also those huge L turrets really don't fit the overall curvy design at all, especially on the nose of the Odysseus. I would pay gladly for a DLC that facelifts some of the 1.0 ships to the quality of ships in SV and CoH.
"I would pay for a dlc that updates all vanilla factions to be on par with split/terran ships" :rant:
And maybe introduce some new unique assets for each race too, like station docks, construction ships, race unique station interiors, etc. Would I pay for a DLC that introduces more variety and unique assets? Absolutely. Will it ever happen? Doubtful.

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Sat, 3. Apr 21, 00:52

Frontaly looking it is actually quite nice. From side it gets worse and from the back it is really bad.
I would sacrifice the ability to land a corvettes for a more more sleek design.
Especialy when stats wise it quite a good ship.
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

SpaceCadet11864
x4

Post by SpaceCadet11864 » Sat, 3. Apr 21, 07:07

It's no wonder all the HOP sectors in my game are drying out!

...I'll see myself out.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sat, 3. Apr 21, 10:40

One of the reasons why I started X4 late on was I felt the game needed better looking capital ships which came in the form of the XR Shippack Mod and of course Split Vendetta.

mehmeteking
x4

Post by mehmeteking » Sun, 4. Apr 21, 19:30

In my opinion Odysseus can be a candidate for the ugliest ship in Sci-fi :) Which is weird because outside of Paranid capital ships I really like ship designs in X4. There is just a lack of variety.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Sun, 4. Apr 21, 19:49

I'm not a big fan of Paranid ships in general.
I don't really like the Ody (although I gotta recognize it beats the crap outta the argon and teladi designs in terms of battle performance), but I think I like the paranid carrier even less.
Last edited by Ezarkal on Sat, 10. Apr 21, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

GDS_dmitry
x4

Post by GDS_dmitry » Sun, 4. Apr 21, 22:28

Something is terribly wrong with textures on Paranid ships. No detailes and blurry. Paint skins look awfully on them. No metal brush feel (or mirror style) at all. Especially compared to split ships. Every single X Rebirth ship has better textures, overall design and many small details. And I don't understand, where are: Agamemnon, Ares, Ariadne and Deimos from X3 ? Again, X4 lacks any beautifyl capital ships for old races (paranid, teladi, argon).
Ryzen 5950x @ 4.7 GHz / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM / NVidia 3070Ti RTX 8 GB / Windows 11

Return to “X4: Foundations”